StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming up on 8000 miles and it's getting time to think about an air filter change. When I went to see the cost of the Suzuki air filter, I almost gagged!

I've looked into K&N Air Filters and they are actually less than the stock Suzuki part and can be washed, oiled and used again and again. Seems like that kind of makes sense.

Now, I also know that the K&N does not filter quite as effectively as some of the other air filters on the market. My thoughts are than my truck - with 150,000 miles on it has been running a K&N filter since new without any adverse effects. My V-Strom in all likelihood, will never see any real dirt riding. It is my commuter bike.

Does this sound like a job for a K&N filter?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Nay here. The few objective tests that have been done have shown that K&N's simply don't filter very well. It's hard to beat pleated paper for filtering efficiency.

- Mark

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
+1 for K&N ... somewhere in the ride reports is a great example why I run them in my bikes. Plus, if I ran stock I'd be on my 4th.

Stromette

·
Registered
113 Posts
Which one?

Riders, Stromette is the only one who has backed up what she wrote. If you don’t like K&N's write why. I don't want to hear some internet source, I want to know what riders here think & why. My local Suzuki deal (stealer) is now recommending them over stock-because the stock COSTS TOO MUCH! So I guess there is a huge profit margin on a $50.00 piece of wire and cotton or/and paper? Who knows, but the dealer got a really nice display and now they highly recommend them. Stock is still more expensive and have to be prepaid and ordered. I can internet source a K&N for even less.

All I know is I put 125,000 miles on a 5.0 mustang with one. That engine still runs well.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
As K+Ns get dirty, they filter better than when new. When they get really dirty, drier particles on the outside get vibrated off. Paper filters clog faster and need to be changed more often than K+Ns need to be cleaned. Paper filters do a better filtering job, especially when the K+Ns are new. K+Ns flow better until they get really dirty. There are a bunch of tradeoffs.

I haven't heard of many street bikes needing ring jobs using either type though and rings are the first to go when filters are working badly. Even people who had air filters replaced without gaskets and had visible dirt in the intakes have yet to report loss of compression in my reading. Has anybody read a report on a Strom needing a ring job?

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
I wish there was a foam filter for the V, but since there is not, I will have to use a K&N. I would never use a K&N on my XR they are great road filters/race filters but are worthless in the fine dirt and dust of the desert. All my vehicles have UNI foam filters. You should see the one on my CTD :)

F

·
0 Posts
Air flow K&N

I have about 3500 miles on my K&N .. Have had hiccup burp what ever .. Talked with Suzuki race bike builder on K&N I told him I was getting fine particals in air box, when I bought the filter it was marked pre oiled from factory so I did'nt oil. Builder told me factory over oils filters he cleans them and reoils them. He said as fine as particals are there are no worry's.. My K4 DL1000 ran great more torque you can hear it getting more air.. Now I need more fuel. going for remap this week ..

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'll have to go with a 'yea'.
I ran one in my '82 Yamaha Seca 650 for the 20 yrs I owned it - I'm guessing it's still in it! I also run them in my '87 Volvo 245 & '94 Ford F150.
Zero problems, as long as you wash and oil them regularly.

Al

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
K&N

I agree with George in N Az. K&N made their reputation as the filters in the baja winninng Hondas back in the 70s. Running in horrendous dust in the dry silt beds down there. I believe the negatives of K&N are based on assumptions, not fact. Please respond if you've personally had an engine failure or problem related to use of a K&N filter. If and when they make a K&N for my honda dirt bike (which sees lots of dust) I wouldn't hesitate to use one.

·
Administrator
16,787 Posts
I'll stick with stock.....at least for now!!!! Still not convinced that K&N are better for our engine.

B

·
0 Posts
+1 K & N

We have used the K & N filter line for almost as long as they have been available, without issues.

The K & N we installed on the Uly was good for +5 Ft/Lbs Torque and 3 repeatable horsepower.

As to allowing more dirt to pass into the air box, we personally hav enot seen that, however, YRMV

Ride Em

:?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I changed the stock for the second time not long ago.
I'm keeping this one in for 20,000 miles and not looking at
it. I checked the stock one at 8,000 miles and that was a waste of time.
The second one I did not check at all and it was fine when I pulled it after about 14,000 miles.
My riding buddy pulled his at 22,000 and it still looked good.
He had a fuel pump problem but did not know that at the time and that is the only reason he pulled it.
I use the a foam type air filter on my KLR and that sucker dries out pretty
quickly but I use the bike in the dirt.
I can't see the big advantage of using oil charged filters on the street.
If I get 20,0000 miles I don't mind spending the big bucks.
The oil type would have to be charged at least three times if you want to go that far.

·
Registered
24 Posts
no K&N for me

I had one on my '96 T-Bird and it began having lots of detonation problems. Turned-out the air mass flow sensor was fouled with oil and fibers from the filter - hence under-estimating airflow. The ECU was leaning-out the fuel to compensate for the 'reduced air flow' - and as you would expect, the result was severe detonation.

No more K&Ns for me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Cars with the "hot wire" type airflow sensors are succeptible to that, but usually only if the airfilter has been over oiled. Subaru WRXs in particular will suffer badly, usually by holing a piston after leaning out.

Having said that, I've had a K&N in my 2003 Ford Focus for the last 30,000km and haven't had any problems. The engine revs out more freely, and the economy improved slightly over the original paper element.

I'd happily use one in my Strom, and probably will when the time comes for replacement. And don't forget, lots of older cars and bikes run no airfilter at all, and the engines still live a long and healthy life. Not that I'm suggetsing anyone does that with their Strom...... Probably sound cool though!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts