StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone install a K & N on the V strom 650? I'm told it's part # SU-1002.

Replies appreciated.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Air filter

Thanks Dave

That is the correct number for the 650 as well.

Did you install one and has it made a difference?

Jim

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No. I just got my K3 less that 2 weeks ago. I bought it from a dealer that was using it for his own bike and it only had 2100 miles on it. I will install one of the air filters once a few miles are added. I was looking for the K&N oil filters because I like the bolt on the end for tightening and loosening.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Be aware that many engine builders will void a warranty if you use a K&N. Cummins Diesel does not like them ate-all.
There is independent research that shows that they are no good. Yea, I know.....
But I've stuck with stock filters and just change them out more often and I've also opened up air boxes more if it can be done to a particual model. And, if you open up one end then ya gotta do the other end. Don't forget a good exhaust system that allows it to breath as well.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My experience with K&N was almost immediate engine damage, worn valve guides. They do pass lots of air. And lots of dirt. Buyer beware...

·
Registered
48 Posts
K&N

I dont have the exact details, but I looked into this a while back... there is a school of thought that says more air can decrease HP... I know that sounds crazy, but I saw some convincing dyno charts.... I cant find the article now, but I did find this quote on the mototune website "Air Filters (How Freer Breathing = Slower)"

http://mototuneusa.com

Who really knows?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some dealers have dynos in their shop. My dealer has one. I think they get about $35 for a dyno run. I had my DL1000 dyno tested before and after adding my Remus pipes.

If you can find a dealer with a dyno, they may have already tested some machines for K&N filter replacements. Might be able to tell you if it always or just sometimes increases performance. There may be some differences between carb machines and FI machines too. I suspect that if you do both the K&N and a performance exhaust cannister, it would be time to consider an FI remap. And I'm pretty sure it would take all three to realize the best performance increase.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kn filter

i installed a kn filter on my o2 dl 1000 and it works great! better gas mileage and better power ,ive got remus cans and remap ,and ign advand the kn was not out then so we tuned it to the stock filter. and then the kn came out and i switched to the kn and it ran so much better. :D

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
K&N- wow

I've never heard anything bad about K&N filters- I always replace the stock with them when I buy something new. Thanks for the info to ponder. But it's funny to see so many who don't realize that more air in = more air out; change intake, change exhaust. What kind of fuel mileage improvement has the filter caused?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've never heard anything bad about K&N filters- I always replace the stock with them when I buy something new. Thanks for the info to ponder. But it's funny to see so many who don't realize that more air in = more air out; change intake, change exhaust. What kind of fuel mileage improvement has the filter caused?

Same here...they have ALWAYS performed well for me and I have never had an engine problem that could be related to poor air filter performance.

In fact, the only way they could cause a problem is if they were not installed correctly.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
dirt

ive seen photos on here from then not fitting correctly and alot of dirt getting by , now they even provide a packet of grease too help the seal

·
Registered
60 Posts
Take a look at the K&N filter, holding it up to the light. See the little holes in the fabric? Dirt will find these too, as there is vacuum to suck particles thru.
Washing and re-using a filter- cheap. protecting an expensive engine- PRICELESS!!

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
I put a k&n on my 07 650 and was pleased at the slight increased engine sound coming from the airbox. Then I put a full leovince exhaust on and got a pc3 from fuelmoto w/ a program installed for my specific accessories. I feel like I'm wringing as much power as possible from this good little motor now. I check it all the time (the filter) and it filters very well. The throttle bodies have stayed shiny and clean, and the oil doesn't darken much @ all.

·
Registered
180 Posts
So, jw, was it worth the trouble and expense and how much better does it run? How much better is the fuel economy?

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I've had K&N filters on all of my cars that I run in Solo II, the ACR Neon with around 160k miles, without an issue. I've put one on my Wee last fall & nuthin's happened yet...

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Runs great w/ my additions, no change in fuel economy. I've always averaged near 50. Worth the money to me because the bike is my hobby. Sounds and runs great. As far as running BETTER, I'd really need a dyno test to verify power increase EXCEPT the following. The exhaust made a slight difference because right after I put it on and went for a ride, I immediately noticed that w/ NO throttle input taking off in 1st and letting the clutch out, it pulled harder w/out wanting to bog or stall. The pc3 came later and I really didn't need it I just wanted to get one for the hell of it because the extra $ sitting around wasn't doing me any good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Only bad thing I've ever had happen with a K&N filter is over oiling after recharging it. Basically the oil comes off and covers the hot wire or Mass airflow sensor and may give false airflow readings. Could lean the mixture out.

If the maf is using hot wire, air pressure and air temp to formulate a count that could cause a problem. Still, not really K&N's fault.

·
Registered
268 Posts
K&N filters have a really bad rep over in KLR land. Seems there's a couple of KLRistas who are demons about oil analysis. When one of them switched to a K&N air filter, his oil analysis suddenly showed a gigantic upsurge in silica in his oil -- i.e., sand. Seems that the K&N stops all the big stuff, but still allows fine sand to get through that the stock filter won't let through. It's really fine so doesn't stick to the carburetor (throttle bodies in the case of the 'Strom), but enough of it gets through the blow-by in the cylinder to contaminate the oil, and it's too fine to be caught by the KLR's primitive oil filter.

Me, I'm sticking with the OEM filter. Having to knock the sand out of it against my fender from time to time beats having a crankcase (or oil filter) full of sand any time of the day!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts