StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been considering this for some time, did a lot of research before moving forward. I only have about 100 miles on the CT right now so my experience on it is very limited. Some facts about me - 30yr rider, IBA member, have ridden to 40 of the lower 48 states so far. My Wee is a 2007 model with sw-motech centerstand, 17T front sprocket, PWD crashbar/skid plate combo, 23" tall Cee Bailey windscreen, and pair of IM2600 Stormcases. Prior tires were the OEM Trailwings. Purchased my Wee with just over 6500 miles on it 12/11. Now have just over 9000 miles on it. My other bike is a 2007 FZ1. The tire combo I now have on my Wee - Shinko 705 front and General GMax AS-03 205/50/17 both at 40psi. Observations thus far - more stable in crosswinds - had 20mph winds the day I picked up the Wee from the shop and was surprised how much more stable it was in the winds, turns fine at speed (similar to a fat tired power cruiser like a Rocket or Hammer), road irregularities like worn asphalt from heavy trucks that make a larger crown are amplified, in a tight turn if you let off the throttle abruptly and then hammer it back (done intentionally) you will feel the bike want to stand up a bit but not bad. I will follow up after I have 500 miles on it with my further observations.

Attachments

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Why the 705 front? Seems like a strange combo.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
705 because I have had good luck with Shinkos on my FZ1. I do plan to experiment with the PSI and have read Randyo's posts. The mechanic who installed my tires is a friend and an intermediate level club racer. He set the initial pressure. He and the other guys in the shop are real curious how this set up will perform.

·
Registered
55 Posts
40 does seem awfully high. I would think the higher pressure will not allow the tire to conform as much. Also, you may only have 400 lbs on the rear tire, so less psi may be better there, as well.

·
Registered
22,426 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
When you say "turns fine at speed" you must have a very different view of the word "fine" or "speed" than a lot of riders :mrgreen:

·
Registered
350 Posts
When you say "turns fine at speed" you must have a very different view of the word "fine" or "speed" than a lot of riders :mrgreen:
Here we go again....

I personally don't see how a car tire could handle as well as a specifically designed motorcycle tire. But, there are any awful lot of people who swear by them. I won't criticize too much without trying it. But, I don't have any plans to try it either.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm going to run the 705 front with the General Exclaim UHP myself. I'm just currently wearing out whats left of a TKC80 rear that I put on to do some DS riding with and then the UHP is going on.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. So are you the first to try the General GMax AS-03 tires or have others tried that too?

BTW, how does the 17t front sprocket feel with that extra mass? I ran a 17 front on my 07 DL650 and although I loved the relaxed revs on the interstate, there were times you could really tell you were running the 17. The 17t front sprocket works great on the East Coast, but I found times on an out West trip the big headwinds or long inclines were really having me work the gear box to stay in the power range. I would imagine the CT amplifies that somewhat?

·
Registered
102 Posts
40 PSI for me

I started at 36 now use 40. At the lower pressure the tire was to soft. It liked to squirm when on grooved roads. General aAltimax UHP.:yesnod:

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I wonder why they even sell motorcycle tires...
It's probably all the motogp advertising.
You know, I think you darksiders should take your car-tired bike to a track day and post the video; that'd definitely shut the naysayers up.

When I hear things like "more stable in crosswinds", I wince. The strom is perfectly stable in crosswinds; take your hands off the bars and you'll see that the "instability" is all caused by the rider.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Seems to me that of motorcycle tires weren't the best choice, the legions of engineers who have been studying and designing motorcycles for decades would have said something by now...

Sent from my ADR6300 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
379 Posts
I am very surprised to learn that VStrom riders are going to the dark side. One of my bikes is a Triumph Rocket 3. This is an issue with that bike because the stock Metzler ME880s don't get much more than 10K miles, which is the upper range for the rear. Plus they retail for about $300. Our UK riders tell us they are getting around 6K miles on a rear so going to the darkside is a very popular option. I also just found out that it is popular with some of the Gold Wing riders.

Conversely, I have 16.5K miles on my original equipment Batwing, which makes it even more puzzling why someone would put a CT on a bike like a VStrom. Just to clarify, I am not criticizing. To each his own. I just don't get it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Seems to me that of motorcycle tires weren't the best choice, the legions of engineers who have been studying and designing motorcycles for decades would have said something by now...
That's their way of making money off of us by selling tires that wear out really quickly.

Wait till you hear I have been using a Kenmore washing machine belt in place of a chain for 65,000 miles.

And it keeps the rear wheel spotless and lemon scented.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's their way of making money off of us by selling tires that wear out really quickly.

Wait till you hear I have been using a Kenmore washing machine belt in place of a chain for 65,000 miles.

And it keeps the rear wheel spotless and lemon scented.
Great idea. Im about to try canola instead of motor oil, myself

·
Registered
2,361 Posts

I like how the handling is typically compared to a fat tire cruiser or goldwing then I go to other threads and see the same machines bashed as ill handling barges. Like others I like motorcycle tire performance so much better, I put a set on my car. But only on the rear, I have car tires on the front.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
22,426 Posts
I was as skeptical as anyone, but as a winter riding experiment, I decided to try a tire actually designed for snow & ice and not turn into a hockey puck when temps fall below freezing.
Originally, my plan was to get a second spare wheel for a MC tire that I would run during the other 3 seasons. But, the experiment was successful beyond my wildest expectations. The ability to ride with confidence in ANY winter conditions. Then spring came at lower parking lot speeds, the CT handles the way you would logically think it would, terrible, but at normal street speeds, other than slightly more countersteer effort (no more than if you had the same width MC tire), you can't tell its not a MC tire

naysayers can heckle all they want, I really don't care, I've cut my rear tire cost by almost 90%, I don't have to shell out $200 + to buy a tire and labor to get it mounted every 6000 miles, now its $150 every 36,000 miles, ($1200 or more vs $150) I also have a tire that works on snow & ice, mud & sand

that said, the Darkside is not for everyone, would I do a track day on one, no, but then again, I wouldn't do a track day anyway, roundy round the same 12 turns all day long, doesn't sound very exciting to me, I have an adventure bike, not a sport bike

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
I was as skeptical as anyone, but as a winter riding experiment, I decided to try a tire actually designed for snow & ice and not turn into a hockey puck when temps fall below freezing.
Originally, my plan was to get a second spare wheel for a MC tire that I would run during the other 3 seasons. But, the experiment was successful beyond my wildest expectations. The ability to ride with confidence in ANY winter conditions. Then spring came at lower parking lot speeds, the CT handles the way you would logically think it would, terrible, but at normal street speeds, other than slightly more countersteer effort (no more than if you had the same width MC tire), you can't tell its not a MC tire

naysayers can heckle all they want, I really don't care, I've cut my rear tire cost by almost 90%, I don't have to shell out $200 + to buy a tire and labor to get it mounted every 6000 miles, now its $150 every 36,000 miles, ($1200 or more vs $150) I also have a tire that works on snow & ice, mud & sand

that said, the Darkside is not for everyone, would I do a track day on one, no, but then again, I wouldn't do a track day anyway, roundy round the same 12 turns all day long, doesn't sound very exciting to me, I have an adventure bike, not a sport bike
You do make a compelling arguement, but I feel that most, including myself are too afraid to try it. That said, I've worn out many a front mountain bike tire, chicken knobs included, only to see on my rear tire that the majority of the wear, other than side knob chunking from hitting rocks, roots, etc, is in the center of the tread. This phenomenon is glaringly apparent on a vehicle with 0.25 horsepower (max). The front tire and the rear tire have totally different trajectories of traction in any corner, and wear accordingly. Which is probably why you almost NEVER see a darkside setup on the FRONT of a motorcycle....but, the rear is a whole nuther story.

And, as for one guy who really tries to avoid engaging my footpeg feelers (my hero days are long past), I always wear down the middle tread first.......

I would imagine the biggest hassle, is actually getting one of these things mounted by a shop. Is mounting a car tire something that would be easy to do at home? I might just try it, seeing that my BW is almost gone, and I really don't feel like slapping on my Kenda Big Block for commuting, before I can use it for some real dirt road adventuring this summer [if ever, the way things are going!).....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts