StromTrooper banner

What do you think about a formal V-Strom national organization.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just pondering. I'm also a member of COG/ (Kawasaki) Concours Owners' Group. They have much of Canada, the USA, and a partner organization in Europe set up in a formal organization. Canada and the USA divided up into regions, formal Area Directors, Asst. Area Directors, and a national board.

There is a COG national rally every year that usually has about 200 attending, and it rotates annually in different regions, a full out glossy quarterly magazine, and multiple regional rallies every year.

It's a fully incorporated non-profit, with elected directors at the national level and regional levels.

The USA and partner Europe organization even have an "Over the Pond" event set up where everyone donates a few dollars to send someone every year alternating east and west between Europe and the USA to join other "Coggers" (Strommers?) to join volunteers in the relevant continents on a multi week tour to include attending the national rallies.

Has anything like this ever been discussed? Obviously it takes a lot of volunteer work.

And if any ripe quips are being planned, no I'm not volunteering to set it up, but I might be persuaded into being a national board member. ROFL!

Attaching a poll about this idea also.

·
Registered
92 Posts
National??? or international? BMW Owners also have a set up like this, called the BMW MOA (Motorcycle owners of America)

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
National??? or international? BMW Owners also have a set up like this, called the BMW MOA (Motorcycle owners of America)
It's a national org. But there's a sister org in Europe that we exchange a voted on rider with annually. When I say national, I mean those that say "eh" also. LOL!

·
Registered
786 Posts
No ripe quips WVS, but It seems to me that stromtrooper.com, our "Moto Mäter"is the national organization.
A peruse through the Forums page indicates reasonably good visitation for most topics. This year has been different, but most years there are several regional meet-ups, some associated with sanctioned events.

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
Bikes that have formal organizations like that all have one thing in common. They predate the web. There’s a reason no orgs like that have sprung up since the web became a thing.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
And there are now so many "adventure" bikes on the market and the Strom ridership is being depleted and membership changes more rapidly. So I think, just like the attendance at NEVA, the strongest years are behind us.

·
Registered
3016 DL1000 ABS
533 Posts
Dunno. I am happy enough with things as they are on here. I joined the UK Strom forum for a while but the admin on there was ridiculously strict to the point that I felt like a school kid again (in my 70th year). So I left and am more than happy with things on here.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
If the Vstroms weren't such freakin' great bikes, we wouldn't be having this discussion! As Blaustrom said - "there are now so many "adventure" bikes on the market and the Strom ridership is being depleted and membership changes more rapidly". Our Northeast Vstrom Adventure group (NEVA) riders change bikes as their tastes and riding changes. We all get together and ride our "adventure" bikes regardless of makes and models owned. To be inclusive, an organization that encompasses all makes of bike and riders would be best. Limiting an organization to Vstroms only, curtails significant growth in a group such as ours.

I feel a special kinship to this site and the participants. I purchased my first motorcycle specifically because of this site. Somehow, I stumbled on Stromtrooper.com and the rest is history.

This "Vstrom adventure world" is significantly dependent on Suzuki for supplying new and interesting Vstrom bikes in an ever changing motorcycle environment. Riders do move on at some point, and dabble in other makes and models of motorcycles. As much as I love my "14 1000, I am now searching for my next bike. Not for any other reason except I am looking for something different, and at age 64, don't know how many more years I will be able to ride. I have narrowed down my choices to the Triumph Tiger 900gt or the BMW 750 gs. Still in the Adventure category, just something different. ( Please note Suzuki - if you included throttle by wire and cruise control in the 650, and tweaked a few other smaller issues I would be first in line to purchase one).

There has been talk in this site of a North American Vstrom get together. That may be difficult to coordinate. Another suggestion was separate West Coast and East Coast rallies, maybe more doable. I would say, overall things are fine here the way they are, subject to change depending on how crazy the world gets!

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,439 Posts
People to run the event and do the work of setting it up. Get a group willing to do that and it will be a start. Used to be an Eastern V STrom Rally....and a Western V Strom rally. I have attended both. I have also attended BMW rallies and while I have not attended them the Gold Wing group seems to get things done too. These are the standards to judge by. If you are shooting for big time. BMW has small get-together rallies, many of them, across the country each year.
I don't think you want to try for a 500 person attendance! On the other hand, if you don't have a decent size group vendors don't send swag or show up. The venue can make or break an event. While the Ironhorse is a good venue, it certainly lacks comfortable lodging for big groups and the new owners have made unwelcome changes. So, it might be a time to explore a gathering West of there. Either in addition to Ironhorse, or maybe like a June event. That timing might allow others to attend easier.
While attendence has been down for some events, some are doing well. I think it is easy to get "tired" of the same old thing. Based on my experience, the people you meet are more important at building an event than anything. The Covid lockdown might just be what makes next year or the year after a banner year for such an outing!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Bikes that have formal organizations like that all have one thing in common. They predate the web. There’s a reason no orgs like that have sprung up since the web became a thing.
Totally agree. Was a COG member for a number of years, helped organize a National here is 2005, attended a couple others. Mostly great people, but it's a dying organizational model.

·
Registered
19 Posts
on the surface it sounds good but there is a lot of behind the scene work that has to be done by someone. i am a member of bmwmoa also, not been to a rally but have followed them in the magazine, but having been in a club that puts on off road events, the event day looks good but getting to that point can be a lot. i would like to see a stromtrooper member book with members who would or could be of help to strommers away from home. im in ohio i would like to contact a member in north carolina just for local info for riding ,lodging ,dealers , where to go that only locals know. just throwing that out there also.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I'm not personally a fan of this sort of thing.

As others have remarked, the day has probably passed. Motorcycle clubs really got their biggest boost after WW2 when returned GIs were craving something to replace the camaraderie and excitement of the military, so a lot of the older clubs are organized along vaguely similar lines. There's also the influence of other, older social clubs and fraternities like the Masons and Shriners that were also very organized, with bylaws, officials, assorted rituals, etc.

I've "disorganized" many vintage Suzuki rallies and dual-sport gatherings, and in every case, everyone's enjoyment and safety rise dramatically as the amount of organization goes down. Nowadays, it's pretty much a few emails to decide a date and location, and a forum posting, and whoever shows up shows up. And when we go ride, we split up into very small groups that scatter all over the landscape.

If you get much more organized than that, groupthink begins to rear its ugly head and people do incredibly stupid stuff and start arguing over the dumbest crap. The whole thing quickly turns into a bummer.

And anything involving people's money is incredibly toxic and best avoided. Full-grown presumably functioning adults turn into exquisitely over-sensitive full-blown whining babies over $1.43 and/or some invisible social slight. It's disturbing, frankly.

But, as always, YMMV.

If this sort of thing is the sort of thing that's your sort of thing, then more power to you. But it's not my bag whatsoever.

Benign anarchy is not just more fun, it's a lot safer because everyone is making their own decisions.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree about the more than one bike type part. I don't own a Concours anymore, but still attend the rallies. I would say about roughly 1/3 of the bikes that show up to COG rallies aren't Concourses, and no one cares.

·
Registered
346 Posts
i would like to see a stromtrooper member book with members who would or could be of help to strommers away from home. im in ohio i would like to contact a member in north carolina just for local info for riding ,lodging ,dealers , where to go that only locals know. just throwing that out there also.
I use ADVRider tentspace map for finding riders in areas I want to explore. They are generally willing to provide good info about local riding opportunities, POI, dining, etc.

Relax and have a homebrew

Autocorrect is my new enema

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If the Vstroms weren't such freakin' great bikes, we wouldn't be having this discussion! As Blaustrom said - "there are now so many "adventure" bikes on the market and the Strom ridership is being depleted and membership changes more rapidly". Our Northeast Vstrom Adventure group (NEVA) riders change bikes as their tastes and riding changes. We all get together and ride our "adventure" bikes regardless of makes and models owned. To be inclusive, an organization that encompasses all makes of bike and riders would be best. Limiting an organization to Vstroms only, curtails significant growth in a group such as ours.

I feel a special kinship to this site and the participants. I purchased my first motorcycle specifically because of this site. Somehow, I stumbled on Stromtrooper.com and the rest is history.

This "Vstrom adventure world" is significantly dependent on Suzuki for supplying new and interesting Vstrom bikes in an ever changing motorcycle environment. Riders do move on at some point, and dabble in other makes and models of motorcycles. As much as I love my "14 1000, I am now searching for my next bike. Not for any other reason except I am looking for something different, and at age 64, don't know how many more years I will be able to ride. I have narrowed down my choices to the Triumph Tiger 900gt or the BMW 750 gs. Still in the Adventure category, just something different. ( Please note Suzuki - if you included throttle by wire and cruise control in the 650, and tweaked a few other smaller issues I would be first in line to purchase one).

There has been talk in this site of a North American Vstrom get together. That may be difficult to coordinate. Another suggestion was separate West Coast and East Coast rallies, maybe more doable. I would say, overall things are fine here the way they are, subject to change depending on how crazy the world gets!
Well, I'm 65, and I ride all over Latin America and the Western USA, and I plan to keep doing it for as long as I can. My father rode until 87, and now he's 93 and he drives a Porsche 911. Never give up.

·
Registered
2020 DL-650XT Adventure (06 DL1000 & 07 DL650A retired!)
9 Posts
Lots of interesting thoughts in this thread.

Been a COG member since 2001, started by physically going to multiday events and riding.
Basically pre ramp up of sophisticated internet use. {Remember email list groups?}

Also member of Twin Valley Riders a local group in SWVA. Joined by forum {like Stromtrooper} but ride very little with them. Great small group of folks I know online, but only occasionally attend the regular 4xmonthly breakfast get togethers.

Although on this forum and read ADVrider forum - have never actually met another ADV-er or Stromtrooper in person. But still riding with my core COG buddies after 19 years.

So what you say? To each his own applies and I think crossover between the internet world and real life is tough. Or perhaps it is for more senior folks like me!

Final note - after my Concours have had 3 V-Stroms -- the COG motto: "Join for the bike, stay for the people!" is very apt.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lots of interesting thoughts in this thread.

Been a COG member since 2001, started by physically going to multiday events and riding.
Basically pre ramp up of sophisticated internet use. {Remember email list groups?}

Also member of Twin Valley Riders a local group in SWVA. Joined by forum {like Stromtrooper} but ride very little with them. Great small group of folks I know online, but only occasionally attend the regular 4xmonthly breakfast get togethers.

Although on this forum and read ADVrider forum - have never actually met another ADV-er or Stromtrooper in person. But still riding with my core COG buddies after 19 years.

So what you say? To each his own applies and I think crossover between the internet world and real life is tough. Or perhaps it is for more senior folks like me!

Final note - after my Concours have had 3 V-Stroms -- the COG motto: "Join for the bike, stay for the people!" is very apt.
Maybe I've seen you at COG nationals Rusty. Been to two. Idaho Falls, and Cortez.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Well you have missed 10 NEVA events in the last 10 years. Maybe there will be an 11th next year, who knows? A very good way to meet fellow stromers (and past v-strom owners).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts