Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://vimeo.com/164911096

Obviously I came from the Harley world and I believe louder is better. This seeing machine is to quiet and I think that spending 500/800 on pipes is way stupid. Back pressure should not be an issue because of the restrictive header... Cat.. And that stupid exhaust valve. What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Um...no. Don't do that.

This isn't what I'm looking for. I want technical data on why it is bad from an educated professional. Not just a simple no don't do... Because of someone's dislike for loud. I think this thing sounds bitchin open pipe. Maybe I can make.. (I am a pretty confident fab guy).. My own pipe that goes out the back but is smaller than this 100lb box

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Basically if I can't be proved that it's mechanically bad for the engine... I'm going to do it. I have had straight pipe cars bikes Harley's all my life.

·
Registered
251 Posts
OK...do some digging. Lots of info out there about DL's needing backpressure. Straight pipe =/= open header. Without backpressure, these bikes lose power. You also run the risk of running it way too lean unless you put it on a dyno and tune it do dump enough fuel in. I haven't seen a single Power Commander map out there for an open header.

When I was looking for low mount, shorty cans for my bike, I called D&D and gave them the specs I wanted. They wouldn't even consider it unless I was willing to pay them to do the R&D to test the design for adequate flow and backpressure. I ended up having Coffman's in Cali making me a pair (no R&D involved). I gained a whopping 2 HP over stock with a noticeable increase in fuel consumption after dyno tuning.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Break it there and there is no back pressure. The cat is at the front of the muffler, leaving you with only open pipes. The exhaust system is tuned like and organ pipe to produce pressure waves that help with the scavenging of exhaust gases. The bike will lose some power and the already too lean mix will be even leaner, possibly burning your valves early.

Since that is your only interest, I'll leave it to others to mention how you are damaging your hearing, inviting incurable tinnitus and inciting anti motorcycle feelings in the general public. If you like all the things stereotypically associated with Harley, why not get one? That will keep your friends from disparaging you for riding a rice burner. Otherwise, we can only pray you get busted for running open pipes to help our reputations. The Vee2 will pop many more more times per minute at a higher pitch than the lower revving Harley. You may be mistaken for a teenager who did a muffler delete on a Honda Civic.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
That's likely to be almost as bad. It takes some knowledge of fluid mechanics and some pricey equipment to design an exhaust component that does not hurt performance. Back pressure comes in a wave and getting the wave to break at the right position is not easy. Also, anything that is louder is likely to make the engine burn leaner. Even some commercial after market exhausts hurt performance, especially if the ECM is left stock. Don't be one of those people who confuse noise with power. More power often results in more noise but it rarely works the other way around.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The world needs more selfish people like you.:furious:

Coops.

What do you mean? Are you agreeing with my frugality or saying I am a moron for not just bending over and paying whatever. A damn 2 brothers pipe is a straight pipe with some packing. That is the easiest thing in the world to make.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Come on with the unproven negativity. Sure with efi you may or should need to retune it, but also with efi the o2 sensors will offer some self tuning. it may backfire and or sputter when off the throttle. if this is the sound you like, fine, I agree bike is too quiet. I have owned over 50 bikes in over 40 years and modified the exhaust on over 90%. yes there is power to gain but in most modern bikes and cars for that matter it is very minimal even with an ECU retune. You can put your own shorty muffler on and it will be trial and error as to the sound you like. sound is subjective. it will never sound like an HD. That requires a 45 degree v and the same crank layout. I agree 500 for a single muffler is crazy. There are a few in the low 300 range. it appears that Suzuki did their homework on this engine as, from what I read, there is very little to gain from intake, exhaust and ECU changes. Typically that means that the exhaust and intake are not restrictive weak links for this motor. As many modern day 1000 v twins make well over 100hp this does not surprise me. You would need to change cams and the head porting, etc. to make any major power differences and that would screw up the great low end tq this motor makes stock. That is what really made this bike sweet to me.

·
Registered
15,534 Posts
"saying I am a moron for not just bending over and paying whatever"
Probably not, it's because of the need to make noise where none need be made.
Gotta follow your own path though. But you may be alone on it.

·
Vendor
5,364 Posts
You can get a cheap Chinese muffler for the cost of the materials to make it yourself. Check aliexpress or DHgate. Use your stock muffler as a donor for the 45 degree adapter. It's been done already with Hilde muffler I think. There is a thread around here somewhere about it.

However, your not going to get what your looking for with out eliminating the flapper valve, flapper valve servo, and cat. Check out the Arrow muffler and race collector thread. About 2 or 3 pages in it starts to get really informative. Even if your not going to use the Arrow system reading that thread will be useful to your project.

BTW, I have great sympathy for the sentiment about not turning a V-Strom into a tool for making people hate motorcycles. You can do a budget mod, get a nice sound, and save a little money if you do it right. However, I think you find that it is more expensive than just the muffler. Check out the Arrow thread.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I will be glad to see the day when the Police get serious about citations for modified exhaust systems on cars and bikes.

·
Administrator
17,389 Posts
I like a throaty and proper sounding exhaust note, but I have to agree that loud and obnoxious does not sit well with me. What is loud and obnoxious you are probably asking? Well.....if I am sitting on my back porch and I can "easily" hear an exhaust from a car or bike out on the main roads, then THAT is too damn loud. I rode a Gixxer 1000 this past weekend, the titanium OEM exhaust made "all of the right sounds" when riding normally and at idle, only unless you wail on it does it does it then sound like a race bike. I have owned several bikes with race exhausts, and none of them were hardly noticeable when I was riding normally. Yes there is most certainly a difference between always loud and obnoxious, compared to when you only crack that throttle open or the nice burble at idle.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All you guys and your.. Adventure-ness.. Are haters. Ya I want to be just like you guys.. High viz everything and quiet pipes. :|:|:|:|.... I bought the strom to be comfortable touring and be a :|:|:|:|ing hooligan keeping the nose in the air. Also for light off road. Not to farkle the shit out of it and sip lattes like probably most of you assholes telling me that loud pipes should be banned. I am not looking for Harley sound. More like Ducati.. Considering Suzuki basically copied the engine and that's what it sounds like.. Minus that awesome cam whine.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.