StromTrooper banner

Just some observations....

1152 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  perArdua
As I am toodlin thru Saskatchewan, something hit me (besides dragonflies)..so I thought I would share.

Keep in mind that these are my general observations, nothing scientific about it at all....:fineprint:

I have travelled the land many times, having ridden in every province several times and I have noticed:

The "waviest" riders are in Alberta, with a close second going to Manitoba. Calgary riders even wave within the city itself, something I hav'nt seen in other cities (at least to the same extent). The least "waviest" riders seem to reside in Quebec and SK. Keep in mind, I do not equate the waving with being most friendly, it could just be a regional thing not to wave...

Riding gear....Again the nod goes to AB riders for wearing protective gear of some sort, whilst SK riders seem to be more of the shorts/jeans/tshirt/beanie crowd. MB, QC and BC all seem to have a high percentage wearing protective gear, but not to the extend of our AB brethern.

No matter where I am in Canada, when stopped for fuel/refreshments, riders are always keen to at the very least say a word or two and pass along best wishes for safe riding.

Just my .2 thought for the day...

Cheers!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
329 Posts
I have only ridden in BC, but that's about to change. I plan to ride through the Kootenays and Crowsnest Pass into S. Alberta, then north, by-passing Calgary, and home on Hwy 1. I will observe other riders for gear and 'waviness'.
Here, in BC, waving is really hit and miss. There are so many new (old!) Harley riders not observing the 'Hog Code' [look mean and surly, never acknowledge 'rice-burners'], they seem eager to be seen in their new, shiny black, leathers. I am always waved at by the crotch-rocket crowd, I guess it's hard to know what a Wee is from the front? My non 'dog humping a football' riding position should be a giveaway!

· Registered
168 Posts
my wife and I just returned from a two up trip to SanFrancisco from Central BC, via the Okanagan , yakima then the us101 down the coast ,, back thru Napa and 97 back to BCin BC and washington state it was getting crazy,, people were waving while in heavy traffic or taking a fast corner in the mtns,, I used to always do the two fingers raised version, but on my strom the handguard hides the hand.. anyway yes I have noticed a lot more HD riders waving, back in the 70's almost nobody actually waved,, it was just two fingers and/or a nod.

· Registered
718 Posts
As I am toodlin thru Saskatchewan, something hit me (besides dragonflies)..so I thought I would share.

The "waviest" riders are in Alberta, with a close second going to Manitoba. Calgary riders even wave within the city itself, something I hav'nt seen in other cities (at least to the same extent). The least "waviest" riders seem to reside in Quebec and SK. Keep in mind, I do not equate the waving with being most friendly, it could just be a regional thing not to wave...

No matter where I am in Canada, when stopped for fuel/refreshments, riders are always keen to at the very least say a word or two and pass along best wishes for safe riding.
I can only speak with Ontario and Quebec experience (in Canada).

Waving is a big thing. I have Harley riders even being the first to wave. The majority of them will wave, some just won't. A private "screw-you" to those who don't, but not too emotionally.

I wave at everyone. Kids on dirt bikes, kids on pedal bikes, people on scooters, Hardly-Ableson riders in chaps and beanies, hunched over screaming Kamikaze pilots, old ladies on the curb. Most return, and many initiate, the wave.

I'm surprise you mention a different protocol in cities rather than out on the road. Here in Ottawa, a city whose citizens some actually find cold, waving is no different than on the back roads. If someone is busy with the clutch or avoiding a SUV, I don't expect a wave. Head nods are used by some, me included, when otherwise a bit busy.

The one thing I can't get my head around is the Bombardier three-wheelers. I rarely get a wave back, will soon give up on them unless there is a change. Are they motorcyclists? Does it matter? I'd wave at someone in a Morgan 3-wheeler for certain!

I am a waver from way back. Owners of old Volvos, the original Austin Minis, VW micro-buses and the like back in the 60s and 70s would wave. When I met another (just like mine) 1961 Sunbeam Rapier Series IIIA coming the opposite way along Carling Avenue in Ottawa in 1971 or so, we almost both crashed into the median, waving like idiots, we were so excited!

Some people may just be tired of the wave, and I can see that. But not me yet.

Marc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.