StromTrooper banner

Just picked up a new 650 Adventure

6K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  TwoShots 
#1 ·
This thread really serves no purpose other than to brag about how excited i am about the new bike i got today. So much fancy technology and good handling. I think she'll fit in well with my KLR.

See less See more
#7 ·
I'm a week in and someone's already dinged the paint on the tank with their stupid hog cruiser and I've chipped the powdercoat on the right pannier banging it against a turd plastic scooter that parked too close.

I swear, people that travel on two wheels people are degenerates.

#10 ·
Just got mine on Friday!!!

I just got it to take advantage of the 0% financing. I've done 520 miles already as I want to take it to NY on Saturday and I want to get the run in over with. I took two trips from down to Skyline drive today. One at lunch time (extended lunch) and one after work. 280 miles in total. The bike is amazing for touring, twisty's, commuting, shopping etc etc...

It is my 24th motorcycle and by far the best bike I have ever had!!!

by the way that's one of my kids, not me.

#12 · (Edited)
Congrats! If I was living in the US, then I would also have gone with the adventure model as black is by far the best color available for the 'wee', with white being a close second, and I don't even want to talk about 'orange':thumbdown:. I picked up my 'touring' Wee in march, and I have been riding it since. I have NEVER been happier with a bike, and I have owned bikes since 1979:mrgreen:

*The main farkle I would recommend is DEFINATELY a Fork Brace. It is cheap and it improves the riding capabilities in winds like you wouldn't believe! Even I was skeptical at first, now it is the best $80 I spent!

#13 ·
And the fork brace you chose is... ?

*The main farkle I would recommend is DEFINATELY a Fork Brace. It is cheap and it improves the riding capabilities in winds like you wouldn't believe! Even I was skeptical at first, now it is the best $80 I spent!
I'm thinking about the brace as well, though some people say you don't really need it. Which did you get?

P.S. This and all threads talking and bragging about their bikes are great! Makes us all feel we made the right choice. Especially when the real long-term riders confirm their joy. :thumbup:

#14 ·
Picked up mine last Thursday

New to the forum, but I've been lurking for a while...
I recently 'returned' to riding after a 20+ year hiatus, and been on a Suzuki TU250 for the past year. That little thing is a lot of fun on back roads and around town. But, now I've met my goal and graduated to a bike that I can take out on the highways and campgrounds.

Posts here and on ADVRider helped me make the choice and I now have the Adventure model that looks just like everyone else's black beast. :thumbup:

I just picked it up last Thursday, but my work schedule hasn't let me break it in fully yet. I look forward to the long weekend and some twisty backroads outside of the metroplex. :punk:

#15 ·
New to the forum, but I've been lurking for a while...
I recently 'returned' to riding after a 20+ year hiatus, and been on a Suzuki TU250 for the past year. That little thing is a lot of fun on back roads and around town. But, now I've met my goal and graduated to a bike that I can take out on the highways and campgrounds.

Posts here and on ADVRider helped me make the choice and I now have the Adventure model that looks just like everyone else's black beast. :thumbup:

I just picked it up last Thursday, but my work schedule hasn't let me break it in fully yet. I look forward to the long weekend and some twisty backroads outside of the metroplex. :punk:
Wow thats a coincidence, I was riding a TU250 for the last year for commuting. I did almost 9000 miles on that thing in one year. Great bike for what it is, however, the Vstrom adventure is a life changing bike for me.

Its my 24th motorcycle since I started riding in the early eighties and is, by a huge margin, the best all-round bike I have ever ridden.

#17 ·
I'm coming from a virago 250 to the V-strom...so in a very similar position. The TU250 is the most classy looking 250 on the road IMHO.

I'm in Fairfax by Fair Oaks Mall. A few NOVA v-stroms got together last weekend and did a really nice tour over some paved and gravel roads. Keep an eye out in case another once is organized, it was a lot of fun and I think a few of us were hoping for more rides like that in the future.

#20 ·
I'm torn. I'm pretty much settled on a Wee 2.0, but I can't make up my mind on the model. I like both colors and the ADV model has most of the options that I would eventually get anyway, but I've heard mixed opinions on the quality of the ADV model's accessories.

How would you folks rate the quality of the ADV models extras? If you had a choice between a full OEM kit and (as an example) a Givi kit, if price were ignored, which would you choose?

I'm tired of flip-flopping between the two models and I'd love to hear some input from actual owners.

Thanks all.

#21 ·
In my case I wanted the 0% APR that was only good until the end of the month, so I couldn't be choosy. The only V-stroms within 100 miles were all adventure models. I couldn't get a dealer to even talk to me about a base model coming in stock anytime soon.

I wasn't really interested in the panniers, but now that I have them I can't imagine commuting without them.

Pro/Con list as I see it:

Pro:
  • Panniers are nice, most reviews of the Trax concern problems in the old design that have been corrected
  • Windscreen is better then stock
  • Bike comes in black if you like that sort of thing
  • Everything's already installed
  • slight added protection of crash bars

Con:
  • Full size helmet won't fit in panniers
  • Bike seems wide with bags on, though it's not really wider then the handlebars
  • Crash bars are dinky - probably thinner and less durable then aftermarket designs
  • Crash bar vibration is real (read the thread about it)
  • Weird included endplate only fits the suzuki topbox (so far)

ADV premium is much higher then the total price of the included accessories, but I didn't pay MSRP so it's not so bad. I'm still considering replacing the crash bar, but I'm fine with the windshield and panniers.

Others might have some opinions.

#22 ·
It's a great bike. Better fuel mileage than my 09. My bad mileage meets the good mileage of my 09. I drive 70-75 a lot on the highway. I like the windshield better, less wind noise and bike is quieter. I have the adv. model and have ordered the Suzuki top box but it is on backorder. I have right at 1000 miles on it so far and no problems except a lock fell out of one of the boxes but if that is my only problem I'm in great shape. Hope this helps.

#24 ·
Me too! Just picked up a 650 ADV one week ago. I love this bike, nicest bike I've ever owned. So smoooth. One problem though, I took the panniers off to see how easy the "quick release" worked for the side racks. They worked very well, racks came off in seconds. So then I took a 30 mile ride without them. Got home and decided to re-install the racks and panniers. One of the "tabs" that mounts to the left side passenger foot peg brackets had fallen OFF the bike. The rack mounts to this "tab". I guess it never got tightened during assembly and I didn't notice it when I took off the side racks. So anyway, now I have to get a new tab and bolt before I can put my panniers back on. Grrr...Anyway, I hope to find some Vstrom riders down here on Cape Cod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.