StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I'm the very happy new owner of a 2009 DL1000 today. Grabbed an absolute beauty in black pre-farked with new Kappa panniers, crash bars, engine guard, rad guard, bark busters, new (noisy!) Heidenaus, the list goes on....

Would love to post a pic but not enough post yet, sorry.

I've done a couple of tours around Australia on my previous bike, a Triumph Tiger 1050 but sold it in a fit of madness three years ago. However, my son was pining for a bike as much as I was so we went hunting and found this one today. Haven't had time to ride it much today but looking forward to getting out tomorrow.

Looking for a stock screen in good condition if anyone has one. Mines going a bit crazed and spoils the otherwise mintness of the bike.

Anyhow, having a good read of the forums already and learning heaps. Much appreciated!

John

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Congrates..................Tiger 1050 comparo please.
Early days yet but on the test ride i noticed you have to keep the revs up a bit more or it'll start bucking. The Tiger triple could pull away easily at low revs, but the riding position is much more comfortable for me on the Strom. It has bar risers but so did my 1050. The Strom feels more substantial too. I'll have to ride a bit more to give you a better comparo but being 11 years older than I was when I bought the Tiger I am loving the cruisiness of the Strom over the more energetic Tiger. I will let you know :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
if you get a Corbin two piece seat along with some bar risers with a pull back like mine it will make you feel like you are the king of the castle while riding it. It really helps to have you seat a little more into the bike and feel relaxed.

A power commander 3 can really help with low rev problem you are describing. Those bikes came with terrible fueling from the factory. Many threads on here about that issue and many maps to choose from for a power commander 3 to make things a lot better than factory.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A power commander 3 can really help with low rev problem you are describing. Those bikes came with terrible fueling from the factory. Many threads on here about that issue and many maps to choose from for a power commander 3 to make things a lot better than factory.
Thanks for the advice. My bike also has IXIL Extreme pipes and mufflers so i was considering a dyno tune anyways. I had my Tiger done before a tip from Perth to Tasmania and back and was well worth it. Hopefully that might help sort the issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i managed a 2 hour ride on her today. Must say I'm liking the bike. A little different from what I'm used to but still a great ride and I'm not suffering buyers remorse at all. I noticed a couple of minor issues though - the seat isn't overly comfy and the clutch bite is right at the end of the lever. I also noticed the clutch seemed to jump a little on start off when after about an hour. Is this a know issue or is my clutch just in need of replacement?

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I thought the clutch issue was fixed. Known issue.

Shortening the pin that goes into the master cylinder will fix that but I did a hybrid fix, about 0.5mm off the pin and short levers.

Seat, I have a stupid cheap but magical cure for the seat.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/VeIAAOSwW~JcTFPX/s-l1600.jpg

+ Sit & Fly seat cover over the top.

If necessary tune the hardness by stuffing offcut foam into some of the waffles.

Doesn't look amazingly pretty but not amazingly bad either.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought the clutch issue was fixed. Known issue.

Shortening the pin that goes into the master cylinder will fix that but I did a hybrid fix, about 0.5mm off the pin and short levers.

Seat, I have a stupid cheap but magical cure for the seat.

+ Sit & Fly seat cover over the top.

If necessary tune the hardness by stuffing offcut foam into some of the waffles.

Doesn't look amazingly pretty but not amazingly bad either.
Thanks for the tip. I found the clutch lever mod thread last night and tried it today.

Seems to have cured the bite issue for now. Funny as I was testing it the clutch jumping seems to have stopped too, which is strange.

The problem I have with the seat is its too narrow and pushes me towards the tank. Not much in the range of replacement seats here in Oz by the look of it. I may try MJM in NSW (can't post the link, sorry. Not enough posts!) to recover my exisiting seat. Still 4500ks away though :/

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Try the eBay fix ;), Total cost is less than $50 and my seat is all day comfortable now. And seriously it doesn't look bad, less WTF than a Russel anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Try the eBay fix ;), Total cost is less than $50 and my seat is all day comfortable now. And seriously it doesn't look bad, less WTF than a Russel anyway.
Couldn't find that particular pad but stumbled across this one instead:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Adventure-bike-gel-pad-gel-seat-cushion-pillion-cushion-passenger-seat/232445713350?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=9150c6a371f94a4080a47b5226932843&pid=100675&rk=3&rkt=15&sd=232338242420&itm=232445713350&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:6adc6761-85d8-11e9-a4d9-74dbd180ec38|parentrq:1c6cbb4816b0a99b2c355d28ffbf371b|iid:1

I like that it's the correct shape and has fixings. I do have a cover similar to a Sit & Fly so could easily hide it under that maybe.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Way expensive :).

Search for "Gel Honeycomb", that gave me a lot of hits. They do come with a cover which will hold them on a bike and it helps stuffing the edges of the honeycomb with foam offcuts to make them more supportive but that and the Sit & Fly is the most comfortable bike seat I've ever had. It also doesn't move around, doesn't go feral when it gets wet (Sheepskin), doesn't turn itself into a torture device after several hours (beads) and doesn't repeatedly punch me in the nuts on dirt (Air Hawk).

My wife just uses the gel waffle thing, I prefer it under the Sit & Fly - looks better and works slightly better in the sense that there's no squirming and water just drains away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Way expensive :).

Search for "Gel Honeycomb", that gave me a lot of hits. They do come with a cover which will hold them on a bike and it helps stuffing the edges of the honeycomb with foam offcuts to make them more supportive but that and the Sit & Fly is the most comfortable bike seat I've ever had. It also doesn't move around, doesn't go feral when it gets wet (Sheepskin), doesn't turn itself into a torture device after several hours (beads) and doesn't repeatedly punch me in the nuts on dirt (Air Hawk).

My wife just uses the gel waffle thing, I prefer it under the Sit & Fly - looks better and works slightly better in the sense that there's no squirming and water just drains away.
OK you've sold me haha. For $18 a piece it's worth a punt. I grabbed two. Cheers for the tip, will let you know how it goes :grin2:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I found the clutch lever mod thread last night and tried it today.

Seems to have cured the bite issue for now. Funny as I was testing it the clutch jumping seems to have stopped too, which is strange.

The problem I have with the seat is its too narrow and pushes me towards the tank. Not much in the range of replacement seats here in Oz by the look of it. I may try MJM in NSW (can't post the link, sorry. Not enough posts!) to recover my exisiting seat. Still 4500ks away though :/
I've noticed a little jumping in the morning, clutch-wise on the new 2018 Vee.

I'm going to have to keep reading, if it's an issue on this model, or not.

Ya'll are smart fellers ??.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update on the seat - got the gel pad and it works a treat, thanks Pete W! I only use it if I'm feeling a little sore on a long ride, just store it in my pannier for those occasions. Thanks for the tip, you saved me a heap! :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
You might consider a change of gearing to help with the bucking. The 17/41 sprockets don't keep the RPM's up enough in slow maneuvers and create the bucking. I went with a 16/45. For me it is perfect but I do add some heavier weight to the bike than most of you lightweights lol. You may like a 17/43 or 17/45.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts