StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Wee Strom. Looking for high mileage and acceptable wet weather performance. Did I make the right call?

I run Dunlop Q3's on my go fast bike and I hate the mileage I get from them, but they stick.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,306 Posts
Well your T30's are going to stick too! We have run them on the Strom, RT, and the super Tenere. Best tire value out there. VERY good in wet conditions, either damp or torrential rain. As good or better mileage than comparable tires.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to hear. I don't push my wee Strom at all. Just want distance and decent traction.

2007 Honda VFR800 ABS RWB
2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS
2012 Suzuki Wee Strom ABS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
692 Posts
I don't have them on a V-Strom, but my Fazer 8 is currently Running a T30 on the rear, and a T30 EVO (increased wet grip, supposedly) on the front.

I haven't done a lot of riding in the wet in them, and the roads around here are typically as greasy as goose shit when it rains, so I can't say much about their wet grip (i.e. I don't push very hard in the wet).

The rear has worn really nice and evenly, and provides excellent grip IMO. I've managed to spin it up now and then on a corner exit, but only when using heavy throttle on slightly slippery surfaces (like polished pavement). Totally predictable.

I know some people think Bridgestones are crap, but I've had good experience with their sport-touring tires. Used to run the BT-020s on my ZRX back in the early 2,000s, and they worked nicely, too.

·
Registered
974 Posts
omg, my ex boss had a 2000 or 2001 vfr, low mileage. i rode it a couple of times. fantastic machine. i think he'd massaged it a bit. sweet. i hated the handlebars - too low-swept for me.

how do you like the vulcan? i owned a 2009 ninja 650 - same engine - for 6 yrs and 55k miles, enjoying it very much. my first sportbike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Vulcan S is no sport bike, but I like it very much.

2012 Suzuki Wee Strom ABS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I tend to get 5500-7500 miles on a rear tire, no matter which bike, tire brand, street or Dual sport tire. My better half, who at 110lbs and a quick but non aggressive rider gets 8000-11000 on a rear. Again not dependent on bike, brand or tire style. I prefer a sticky tire but my tire longevity hasn't been drastically different between the two no matter which bike. Riding style and conditions play the biggest part in longevity, but experiences certainly do vary.

D

·
0 Posts
I'd like to get a set too, but the Shinko 705's are SOOO nice and cheap! They just vibrate a bit and are noisy.

I use the T30's on my SV. It eats rear tires for breakfast. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Well your T30's are going to stick too! We have run them on the Strom, RT, and the super Tenere. Best tire value out there. VERY good in wet conditions, either damp or torrential rain. As good or better mileage than comparable tires.
Best tire value out there even compared to the Shinko's?
Must be a close call.

·
5,306 Posts
Yes, they are in my opinion. And I AM a Shinko man! 705's are good all around, but when you REALLY push them on pavement they get greasy once you get them really hot. I mean no chicken strip kind of riding powering out of curves. But they give decent feedback and let you know that. So, for an adventure tire where you expect the front tire to hold better than a street tire a 705 is the best value I have tried. BUT, this discussion was for a pure street tire. I have even used the street Shinko but was less happy with them. The T 30 is absolutely stable at high lean angles and don't drop off when they get hot. They are as good as the Michelin PR3 and PR4 I have used in the rain ( Shinko 705s are good in wet, but you can spin the rear easily if you want to, seems to not matter on the T30). Then there is mileage. I get 7+ thousand out of a rear T 30, about half that on the 705 I ran on the DL 1000. Front tire is good for at least 2 rears, but I take them off when they cup badly. Front T30 is 10K plus. At under $220 for the T30, compared to about $175 for the 705, the mileage and performance make the T 30 the better value.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Thanks for info! I've been worried my stash of BT020s rears will run out. Never liked bt21 and 23s

How is the mileage on rear?

·
Registered
692 Posts
My Fazer runs considerably different tire sizes than the V-Strom, of course, with a 17" front and a 180 section rear. The rear is wearing really evenly, even given my propensity for hard launches and the mostly straight roads around here. Hard to say on mileage, because I don't really track it, but I think I got that tire before I took the bike on vacation (not ridden there) in NS last year at the end of July, so it's got a year and probably 10,000 km or so on it. Looks like it still has a few thousand klicks left in it, anyway.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
My Fazer runs considerably different tire sizes than the V-Strom, of course, with a 17" front and a 180 section rear. The rear is wearing really evenly, even given my propensity for hard launches and the mostly straight roads around here. Hard to say on mileage, because I don't really track it, but I think I got that tire before I took the bike on vacation (not ridden there) in NS last year at the end of July, so it's got a year and probably 10,000 km or so on it. Looks like it still has a few thousand klicks left in it, anyway.
My problem with BT20s to the past was that while you could get alot of miles out of them, they really didn't like heat and load that much; would melt off on hot all day slab. I ended up switching to 170/60R17 which were designed for ST1300. Not sure about Wee sizes, need to look at the codes. I am guessing the one designed for R1200GS may have stiffer casting and will work better for 2up loaded. Never had good luck with Battlax fronts they have strange wear pattern under braking, and after a while start giving you a headshake in low speed turns. The 021 and 23s fronts had melting off problem too. I wonder if T30 fixed those issues.

·
5,306 Posts
Not sure about Wee sizes, need to look at the codes. I am guessing the one designed for R1200GS may have stiffer casting and will work better for 2up loaded.
Never had any issue with the T-30 on the V Stroms or Super Tenere ( same size tires ). But they do have an "A" spec tire for the BMW RT in that size which is a heavier tire. Don't remember seeing one in the V STrom sizes. I just don't think you need the heavier tire on the V Strom unless you were to load it up well past its load rating. Which gets done more than you might think!

Reactions: cyclopathic

·
Registered
241 Posts
this afternoon i ordered metzeler tourances - 95% street, 5% dirt. for my 2015 strom. 11,300 mi on original b-stone trailwings. oops, i ain't venturing into any dirt...LOL
I mounted a set of Avon TrailMasters a few weeks ago. Better off pavement than the Tourances I.M.H.O..If mileage is anywhere close to the Tourances, I like them so well it might become my 'go to' choice for a 80/20 tire in the future.
I had 4/32 left on the 'Stones at 10223 miles.
Things are all good at this point...::beatnik:

·
Registered
345 Posts
this afternoon i ordered metzeler tourances - 95% street, 5% dirt. for my 2015 strom. 11,300 mi on original b-stone trailwings. oops, i ain't venturing into any dirt...LOL

Hi which tourance did you order? I think the original tourance look well on a vstrom, the tourance next and anakee 3 don't look right to me, no doubt they are great tyres though,currently using anakee 3.
I think the chunky looking anakee 2 and tourance look the part though.I don't push the vstrom very hard, mostly used gentle country touring and green laning,
I also have a 00 5th gen vfr, great bike and contrast to the vstrom 650 when I fancy a different ride, with bar risers I have no issues with comfort,gear driven cams and a loud end can,sweet music.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hi which tourance did you order?
hey, broc, i ordered the ones designated 95% street/5% dirt, even tho' i'll never purposely ride off road - LOL. i let others' reports of mileage sway my choice. i'll get 12K miles out of the originals bridgies. i don't worry about tires' looks. if they give me long and reliable service and a comfy enough (i'm easy to please), i'm good t'go. i prob'ly paid a bit too much for'm, but, well....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts