StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after a lot, actually a very lot of listening and asking a few questions of folks, I have decided on Tourances for the DL1000K6. I just ordered a front and two rears. Hope to get them in in about a week.

The bike now has 5100 miles on it, both front and rear tires are looking quite good. Brought the bike home on June 13th - that's 51 days ago. H'mm, the average is kind of easy to figure out! I ride it every day and run about 100 miles - not counting little 'excursions' here and there.

Decided on the Tourances as I intend to be riding some gravel roads up in North Carolina in October. Didn't think the 880's would fare too well in that environment.

I'll let you know how they work.

Must say the 'Strom is the most enjoyable bike I've ever owner. Comfortable, stable and very agile in traffic. About the only gripe is that a rider must be wary of the throttle. You can be going way over the legal limit without even working hard! Kind of nice to have!

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
let us know where you bought them from and how quick you got them. I'll assume swmoto.com but let us know :) I'm about a week from ordering a couple of tires.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
+1 for Tourances.

Sadly, I just found out that Metzeler has discontinued the Z6 in the Strom's front size. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Stromette

·
Registered
324 Posts
I love Tourances, that's what'll replace the Trailwings.
And fl_strom that's some mileage there....I got my 1000 a week before you and I've only done about 1200 miles.
Having said that, I've had a load of work commitments. And with temperatures here around 40C for the last month or two, it wouldn't have been easy to do long trips.
However, the Winter in Spain is better than the Summer in Britain, so now there's no such thing as the end of the riding season! :lol:

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually I ordered them from American Motorcycle Tire.

They will be delivered this Friday.

Prices very similar to SW Moto.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually I ordered them from American Motorcycle Tire.

They will be delivered this Friday.

Prices very similar to SW Moto.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention above w/the +1 that I have over 35,000mi (in 31wks) on Tournaces.

Stromette

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Just ordered a Tourance for the front. Finally replacing the stock Trailwing after 8200mi. I already have a Tourance on the back (replaced stock rear at 5500 miles because I picked up 2 nails), so I'll match again.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As I've stated, most of my riding is commuting on expressways. The bike is coming up on 6000 miles and the Trail Wings are still looking quite good. Yes, I do keep the air up in them, checked 2 or 3 times a week. I run 38 pse in front and 41 in back. Bike is very responsive at these pressures.

Hope to get about another 3 to 4 thousand miles on the stock tires.

Tourances should be here this weekend, along with my order of stick-on balance weights. The last time I had a shop put tires on - I was working hard, had no time off and broke down and let them order and mount the tires - I was charged $540 for a set of Avon ST45/46's on my Concours. That was for MSRP on the tires, $65 freakin' dollars EACH to mount the tires and of course the requisite sales tax. NEVER, EVER again will I let someone rip me off like that!

MSRP on the tires is $359.90. The sale price at AMT is $233.76. My mounting and balancing is $000.00 per tire. I would much rather have the $200 where it can do a whole lot more good - in my pocket!

I have found that breaking the bead on the tires is not hard. I use Race Tools Bead Popper and a couple of blows and the tires are loose. A good set of Motion Pro 16 inch tire irons make the job quite easy. I also have a set of rim protectors. A bit of dish soap and water make an excellent lubrication to mount the new tires. Keeping the bead in the middle of the rim makes the tire quite easy to mount. Takes me about 30 minutes per tire from off the bike to back on.

·
Registered
292 Posts
fl_strom said:
I have found that breaking the bead on the tires is not hard. I use Race Tools Bead Popper and a couple of blows and the tires are loose. A good set of Motion Pro 16 inch tire irons make the job quite easy. I also have a set of rim protectors. A bit of dish soap and water make an excellent lubrication to mount the new tires. Keeping the bead in the middle of the rim makes the tire quite easy to mount. Takes me about 30 minutes per tire from off the bike to back on.
Hey fl! Thanks for tips on changing tires. Right now, I take mine into a shop...they're not too bad, $35 or so/tire, but that's money I could save if I could to it myself. I also like to be self-reliant if at all possible. Would you mind telling me which MP Tire iron you use (spoon, curved, etc). And where I could get some rim protectors. I've changed tubed tractor tires before, but never tubeless tires where I wanted to keep the rim (relatively) scratch free.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
199 Posts
yep

I like the Tourances too, but I am seriousely thinking with putting on some Conti-Attacks when the Metzlers go away.. Lets face it, the DL is a STREET bike... i have my XR for dirt duty...

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sasquatch,

I'd be happy to.

I use the Motion Pro 16 inch steel tire iron. The ends are shaped to make it easy to move the tire off and also on to the rim. Here's a write-up on them from their manufacturer.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/16_steel_tire_iron/

To balance the tires, I use a Mac Parnes Balancer. Here's a write-up.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-wheels/balancer/

For a work surface, I have built a pair of saw horses, rather stout saw horses that I can work on. The nice thing about using the saw horse is you can stand up and get better leverage. Then when the tire is mounted, I use the saw horses to support the balancer on while I balance the wheels.

When balancing, remember to use a piece of masking tape to hold the tape in place. Once the tire is balanced, then stick the weights to the wheel. It saves a lot of weights. You would be surprised at how good you can balance a wheel with the Parnes Balancer.

If you've changed tractor tires, motorcycle tires will be a snap - there is no water required!

Hope this helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts