StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just lubed a chain; rode off-road next day; time to clean & re-lube? (dusty chain)

Hi folks:

I did the chain cleaning and lubing like I normally do every 600 miles or slightly sooner yesterday. Today I did some light "off-roading" on some unpaved roads. I looked at the chain and its slight dusty.

For the folks here who do any off-roading... do you have a policy of cleaning and re-lubing the chain after a day off off-roading?

And would your answer be effected if you were doing another day of off-roading the next day? i.e. it's just going to end up dirty the next day, so maybe all you need to do is make sure it's lubed (because it's going to get dirty anyway).

[OffTopic] Writing to you from San Cristobal de las Casas in Chiapas Mexico (southern most state in Mexico). Debating between heading directly to Guatemala and heading up Yucatan and maybe a slight detour to Cuba.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Use Dupont teflon lube, (Lowe's). Goes on wet, dries to a non tacky lube, and won't attract dirt and dust. Otherwise, check your sprocket teeth for dirt and dust. This is the area that will wear out a chain and sprocket set the quickest. If dirty, clean and relube.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have been doing the same as what tiller4me says .... Dupont teflon lube and keep an eye on the sprockets, you want to keep them clean as well.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been doing the same as what tiller4me says .... Dupont teflon lube and keep an eye on the sprockets, you want to keep them clean as well.
Good tip on the sprockets;; I haven't ever done that before prior to posting this thread. Now I do it on every chain cleaning/lube.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
i've been using the dupont teflon on my dr650 for nearly exclusively off road, mud, dirt, water even some salt water, and it's held up well. chain and sprockets are in fine condition. remember though this stuff does NOT last long on the chain. i re-apply every 100 miles or so. off-road that's not so bad. but if you're making lots of tracks, it may prove to be a big pita.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i've been using the dupont teflon on my dr650 for nearly exclusively off road, mud, dirt, water even some salt water, and it's held up well. chain and sprockets are in fine condition. remember though this stuff does NOT last long on the chain. i re-apply every 100 miles or so. off-road that's not so bad. but if you're making lots of tracks, it may prove to be a big pita.
Well I definitely have the Teflon stuff; but have been waiting 3-600 miles sometimes to re-lube the chain.

Since the Teflon stuff doesn't last that long, and doesn't seem to leave behind much grease ... how do you know your chain is well lubed with this particular type of lube?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
That has not been my experience at all. So far this stuff has out lasted the other lubes that I have been using.

If you can hear your chain making much noise it is time to put on more lube. I would lube mine between 600 and 1000 miles when dry. I would lube it every 300 to 500 in rain or if running in dirt. I am changing out my original chain and sprockets with just over 30000 miles on them.

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
Modern chains are truly wondrous things - - keep the rust off em, and they'll last a long time. The lube is mainly there to protect the O-rings, or X-rings, or whatever rubber rings that keep the lube around the chainpins [the pins carry all the loads]. Those rubber rings can be damaged by what people think is lube-like, so using that Dupont stuff, or other moto lubes is a good idea. Even using a stiff brush to clean the chain could damage the rubber rings - never use a wire brush! If you really must spend way too much time cleaning a chain, use an old worn out toothbrush....

They really shouldn't even call it LUBE, since it's not really lubricating anything - modern chains don't actually need "LUBE" on the outside. I actually emailed D.I.D. to find out if lube was really necessary. Their response in a nutshell is, that the lube is only good for keeping surface rust at bay. The rollers around each chain pin bushing [merely there to help guide the chain onto the sprocket] don't really rotate, so lube is only needed for corrosion protection [according to DID's tech gurus]. Not even the sideplate/roller intersection is a concern, since there's negligible rotational wear - the chain will stretch out long before the roller/sideplate wear issues even begin to surface. I know I'm gonna get a lot of flack from the chain illuminati, but D.I.D. really went overboard to explain to me the in's and out's for all the parts that make up a chain and how they play together [Tsubaki and RK's responses to the same inquiry were essentially worthless]. Rust prevention and dust/dirt buildup prevention - that's the key for long life.

As long as your chain ain't getting rusty, then you are applying the 'lube' appropriately. Enjoy for 20,000 miles, then chuck it....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts