StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the adventuretech.biz peg lowering kit today, and also installed Pivot Pevz MK3 today.
It was not that I felt all that cramped before, but wow, what a huge difference when I am on my pegs now. I feel so much more in control standing on my pegs mostly because of the lowering by one inch. It lowers my center of gravity noticeably. I like it. I also like the Pivot Pegz.

·
Administrator
5,061 Posts
I've often pondered on pivot pegs but thought that they might feel insecure and unstable as normal pegs do not move.
How are you finding them? The Adventuretech footpeg lowering kit is great, keeping you more "in" than "on" the bike when standing, a more relaxed riding position, and an easier transition to standing as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far I really like the Pivot Pegz. And the lowering kit - no question - it really adds to stability when I need to stand on the pegs.
I went from the stock pegs and found them slippery when wet. I think the Pivot nature of the Pivot Pegz makes it a very easy transition from a narrow peg to a wide grippy peg.
So far so good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The installation of the peg lowering kit is actually quite easy. As for me, I had not yet familiarized myself with how to adjust my rear brake lever and gear shift lever up and down. When I installed the adventuretech peg lowering kit all up and down adjustments became easily apparent to me.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
I too have never tried Pivot's. So what do they do that a properly articulating ankle can't do? (honest question)

·
Vendor
4,937 Posts
I'm interested in the same thing about the pivot pegs. 2VEEORNOT2v came over to my house to try my full arrow exhaust. We traded 2014 Vee2s and went for a ride. He had pivot pegs and my peg lowering kit on his bike and it was the first time I had experienced the pivot pegs. I noticed them when I got on the bike, but completely forgot them as I rode.

Still interested in the perceived benefits. It seems to me they can't move much or else you would bump into the controls.

I also noticed a difference in our brakes, one more immediate, one more progressive. Or one more effective and one more mushy. I'm not sure which. Still trying to figure that one out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wanted to swap out my narrow OEM pegs for wider pegs with plenty of grip on my boots. Since I had no real experience with wider pegs, I was concerned that the platform would prevent an easy natural pivot of my foot. There are Fastway, Touratech, SW-Motech pegs among others that are wide but do not pivot. The Pivot Pegz idea seems to have solved that dilemma for me. I have really great grip and I am unaware of the pivot action as I ride.
So far, so good.

·
Registered
277 Posts
So far I really like the Pivot Pegz. And the lowering kit - no question - it really adds to stability when I need to stand on the pegs.
So far so good.
That's where Pivot Pegz really shine.. Standing & riding offroad. Makes it a bit easier to get your boot under the shifter as well.. Had a set on a DRZ years ago and loved them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
One of the best ergo upgrades is the lowering kit. I've only scraped the pegs once since doing so... no big deal.
What a difference in comfort. Now I'm thinking Pivot Pegz... hmmm.

·
Administrator
5,061 Posts
Perhaps Adventuretech, without just copying someone else's design, might CAD up their version of a motorcycle footpeg with inbuilt partial rotation? Just a thought for those long winter nights Rick.
Such an item would be understandably difficult as it would require much machining and welding of steel - unless the footpeg part could be CNC'd from alloy.
I have always thought that a bike used in a true adventure role does need better grip at the pegs than rubber, but not the outright jagged edges of dirt bike footpegs. So far Pivotpegs have this corner to themselves.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's where Pivot Pegz really shine.. Standing & riding offroad. Makes it a bit easier to get your boot under the shifter as well.. Had a set on a DRZ years ago and loved them.
Dirt is the reason I wanted the wide platform of the Pivot Pegz. I am outfitting my bike for a 2019 ride up the Dempster Highway to Inuvik and hopefully Tuktoyaktuk on the Arctic Ocean. This will be my first time, but it is over 500 miles gravel road one way. From what I read the road can be very muddy and slippery if wet. I may need to stand on my pegs quite a bit.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'll give another up vote for the peg lowering kit. I'm not really tall (5' 9") but I'm older and long rides, especially while touring, were leaving my legs sore and almost cramping, the lowering kit worked wonders on that.

·
Vendor
4,937 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've got an SVR lowering kit on my L3, and that lowers the pegs 1" without moving them forward like the AT version do. In replacing the OEM pegs with KLR pegs I lost a good 1/2" of what I'd gained. Can anyone tell me if I went with pivot pegs, would I get that 1/2" back? In other words, do the pivot pegs raise the effective foot position like the KLR pegs do? If I could get that 1/2" back, it might be worth the coin.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I've got an SVR lowering kit on my L3, and that lowers the pegs 1" without moving them forward like the AT version do. In replacing the OEM pegs with KLR pegs I lost a good 1/2" of what I'd gained. Can anyone tell me if I went with pivot pegs, would I get that 1/2" back? In other words, do the pivot pegs raise the effective foot position like the KLR pegs do? If I could get that 1/2" back, it might be worth the coin.
My Pivot Pegz did not change the effective foot position at all, mounted normally. However, you can still lower the Pivot Pegz a little bit more by a different method of mounting the Pivot Pegz. On a DL650 this mounting method would drop less than another quarter of an inch, or 6mm. I mounted mine the normal way.

Here is a quote from James at Pivot Pegz customer support:
"Pivot Pegz for your bike can be lowered by approximately 6mm.

Lowering the Pivot Pegz is a simple case of swapping the Pivot Pegz mounts to the opposite side of the bike, for example disassemble both Pivot Pegz and put the left-hand Pivot Pegz mount into the right-hand Pivot Pegz body/platform and vise versa. When you do this, you flip the mounts upside down and when you re-assemble your Pivot Pegz and fit them back onto your bike the Pegz will sit lower in the frame brackets. Please note that if you flip the Pivot Pegz Mounts that you will also need to do the same with the Mount Springs by moving them the the opposite side of the bike and flipping them over to fit onto the Peg mount. It will be clear on what to do once you see your Pivot Pegz.....

Because of the pivoting nature of Pivot Pegz you end up with more room to move and a slightly lower stance even without lowering the Pegz so we always tell customers to use their Pivot Pegz in the standard configuration first to see how they feel and then if they want to go lower they can by swapping the mounts."​

·
Vendor
4,937 Posts
Six mm is slighty less than a quarter of an inch, so it may not give you that awkward reach to the controls that was characteristic of lower foot pegs that existed before our kit was available. The old lower pegs just moved the peg, not the controls, but the move was enough to cause problems reaching up to the controls. 6 mm should be within normal adjustment range of the both gear shifter and brake lever.

The people who copied our kit maintained the same geometry. It is the sweat spot for both sides. It maintains as straight a line as possible for the brake master cylinder function and good functionality of the gear shift. It is easy to see when you look at the mounting bolts. The new bolts are down and slightly forward of the original bolts. Not doing so would create misalignment of the brake cylinder rad. There is some good reading in the Dealer - Vendor Member experiences on this subject.

Footpeg and Control Lowering Kit - AdventureTech, LLC.

Gear Shift Relocation/Extension - AdventureTech, LLC.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I fell in love with pivot pegz on a drz, then the Strom I picked up this summer had them with the adventuretech lowering kit. I find they really make it easy to access the controls while standing but the biggest benefit for myself has been being able to change the angle of my ankle while riding on the hwy which in turn takes even more strain off my knees allowing for less fatigue over the longer runs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I replaced the stock pegs with pivot MK3s on my 2017 DL650. Loved them immediately for the solid build, stability, grip and pivoting nature, but their additional width reduced the space between the foot peg and shift lever enough that I found it difficult to get my toe under the lever to shift. It was manageable when riding in hiking boots, but virtually impossible to shift wearing my Forma Adventure boots (size 46 EU/12 US), which have a bulkier profile. Installed the AT foot peg and control lowering kit with shifter extension (for size 10-13) at maximum length, and the shifter spacing is absolutely golden now paired with the Forma boots. Improvement in overall riding comfort was also immediately noticeable (6' tall with a 32" inseam). Install was easy. Just followed the videos.

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,061 Posts
I bought some pivot pegs and was surprised to see that they also matched my Versys-X 300, so they went on for a test.
Fitting was fine, but I could not comfortably get my size 45 Forma Adventure boots between peg and shifter. Basically, I had to force the peg to rotate forward and then jam the boot in there, making things much less than comfortable and natural. They came off after one ride.
I have Adventuretechs footpeg lowering kit and shifter relocation on my V-Strom so they should be good there.

One thing that I did note with wide pegs was that wearing a boot with solid arch support made it difficult to feel the position of your boot on the foot peg.

I wonder if there might be an extruded or dimpled polyethylene or similar which could be used to replace the OEM rubber pads on the Versys, or even the V-Strom for that matter.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts