StromTrooper banner

101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
well thats actually good news that its the same, just seems like a lot for 50 miles. I mean what the heck does it look like after 1000 miles. First thing is to verify setup and operation is correct. next step is corralling the mess. You can see my first attempt extending the guard, which helps. I am going to add a large side plate as well.

In the meantime, wd-40 works well to clean it up

·
Administrator
6,165 Posts
It looks good to me and I cannot explain why oil splatter is such a problem for you. I do not have panniers, but have no evidence at all of splatter. I'm assuming that you are using Tutoro oil. Otherwise I am out of ideas as to why this should affect you more than others.

·
Administrator
17,381 Posts
well thats actually good news that its the same, just seems like a lot for 50 miles. I mean what the heck does it look like after 1000 miles. First thing is to verify setup and operation is correct. next step is corralling the mess. You can see my first attempt extending the guard, which helps. I am going to add a large side plate as well.

In the meantime, wd-40 works well to clean it up
My bike/wheels is are always a mess, as I ride gravel and on wet roads a lot....little oil badges of honor I guess. :grin2: I made a similar guard and it helped tremendously, are you also riding at higher than 65 mph for good periods of time by chance? Also....do not clean with WD40, heck don't do anything more than wipe your chain down with a rag, trust me that's all it needs and you want to keep the lube/oil where it belongs. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Yup that's my typical fling, sounds like you might be going back to spray lube. ;)
Looks a lot like mine too. I'm running about half a turn, more in the rain. (I'm due for a new chain, so I'm over-lubing a bit to lessen kinking.)

·
Administrator
17,381 Posts
Looks a lot like mine too. I'm running about half a turn, more in the rain. (I'm due for a new chain, so I'm over-lubing a bit to lessen kinking.)
I'm just shy of 21k miles and both my chain and rear sprocket looks good, I did just swap out my front as it was "starting" to shark tooth a bit.

·
Registered
392 Posts
My bike/wheels is are always a mess, as I ride gravel and on wet roads a lot....little oil badges of honor I guess. :grin2: I made a similar guard and it helped tremendously, are you also riding at higher than 65 mph for good periods of time by chance? Also....do not clean with WD40, heck don't do anything more than wipe your chain down with a rag, trust me that's all it needs and you want to keep the lube/oil where it belongs. :wink2:
I should clarify, i only use wd-40 to clean the oil splatter of the cases, not the chain. I leave the chain as is, always have. Its never harmed plastics in my experience, plus i follow with aerospace 303. I'll also add that my bike is still somewhat clean, so its tough going through the first smattering. My last ninja was quite a mess in the chain area as well. The difference is the guard was full coverage and kept it contained. Im not too happy when it starts getting on my pants (seems to be fixed by the tire hugger) or getting all over the cases, blinkers, etc, places i grab when accessing them.

That 50 mile ride was mostly 45-60 mph.

What oil are you using? If tutoro, original or plus 25? Mine is original oil, a bluish/green color.

Do you happen to have a pic of your guard?

·
Registered
279 Posts
For those of you using a tutoro oiler
I have been having some difficulties over the past few months
The problem is my nozzle gets clogged with grime.....
I know you will say stop backing up
That's just not possible....
What's your solutions
Clean sprocket more frequently "well more then never" as I currently do
Well not true I do clean it every tire change
And does anyone have a solution for a replacement nozzle
I hate to pay the shipping from.over seas just for a new nozzle
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
6,165 Posts
Do you have the dual or single feed nozzle? It is not necessary for the nozzle to actually touch the sprocket although with the rubber dual feed that is not possible.
Later units had a single copper wire filament that fitted within the tube end to keep the nozzle in the same place relative to the sprocket. Try to arrange for the nozzle to point at, but not touch the sprocket an inch or so above the chain bottom run. Centrifugal force will get the oil to the chain.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Do you have the dual or single feed nozzle? It is not necessary for the nozzle to actually touch the sprocket although with the rubber dual feed that is not possible.
Later units had a single copper wire filament that fitted within the tube end to keep the nozzle in the same place relative to the sprocket. Try to arrange for the nozzle to point at, but not touch the sprocket an inch or so above the chain bottom run. Centrifugal force will get the oil to the chain.
The single feed nozzle with the helinox
Its worn severely soni am.going to replace it

·
Registered
279 Posts
Update
Got my new nozzle delivered and went to install it today and found the olier split down the middle
Fml
Im done with the oiler i think
Cant spend any more money on it...
Back to dupont chain lube for me
Damit

I filled it up a few weeks ago and it wasn’t split then
So i dont know what the f happened

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
6,165 Posts
Do you mean the acrylic tube? Has it been extremely cold, or got a bump somehow? Unusual I would have thought. Mine has been on for years with no issues.

·
Registered
279 Posts
bgr -- With what did you re-fill?
Tutoro oil
Do you mean the acrylic tube? Has it been extremely cold, or got a bump somehow? Unusual I would have thought. Mine has been on for years with no issues.
Yup the tube
Not really cold
Bike was only ridden 2 times since I refilled her, as I was waiting to install my tires and for the replacement nozzle
I dont know what happened

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Whacko. Send a pic to Tutoro. Maybe they'll help you out and you can post the good news here.

·
Registered
279 Posts
So just an update to.my cracked reservoir
Leaving for a weekend trip today and found the rear subframe bolt had just about backed completely out
This is just about the exact location of where my tutoto oiler was mounted
So that may have played a part in this
20201023_101211.jpg

101 - 115 of 115 Posts