StromTrooper banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Administrator
17,381 Posts
I don't think you will get any real fool proof solution, as it's simply gonna fling. Perhaps wear some riding overpants over your work khaki's, you probably should be anyways. ;) Can't say I've noticed any oil fling beyond the usual suspects, not noticed any on my boots or riding pants.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Chaps would be a logical solution, but then your work buddies probably wouldn't let you live it down...ever. That's a scary google search.

Gators would work, but look lame.

There's always going to be road grime fling too.

Cool riders wear an Aerostich onesie. Man the armor is huge. I feel like Conan.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
392 Posts
I certainly know i should ALWAYS wear some kind of pants, but in reality i only do when its cold. I also take rides at lunch everyday, just like to hop on the bike and get away from work. Its not like there is tons of fling. Off the back side is expected. I get a few drops here and there on the rear of my side case. Easy enough to clean when it comes to it. The small amount of fling where the chain rides by the foot peg is unacceptable. Its more the bike than the oiler. My last bike had a full cover from sprocket to sprocket. I will try the hugger, and see what that covers, and maybe fill in some gaps. I dialed down the oil even more on the way home, its maybe a little less than 1/4 open. Didnt see any more drops on my pants, but i dont think i ran enough miles for that or to see if the flow rate was adequate. I did notice the boots i wear are starting to show a lot of minor droplets around the inside ankle. I also wonder if some of the fling is still cleaning up the crud from typical chain lubes i used to use. I think i am past that though. In the end, if i dont get that solved, i may take it off. It kills the engineer in me, but i would rather replace chain and sprockets sooner than have to constantly battle keeping my clothes clean.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Two spots doesnt seem like a lot, but the wife wont be happy. What has everyone else done, if they have the same problem?
I do my own wash because I know where the grease spots are. I got tired of getting my wash back from the domestic operator with those still visible.

I first spray the spots with 'Green" CRC Brakleen and allow it to sit a little but while still 'wet' I'll spray a larger area around it with OxyClean, Shout, etc stain remover. I'll let that sit for a while before throwing into the washer. I've treated spots and then did other things for days and then washed a bigger load and the spots came out.

I'm assuming my process is like getting something dry-cleaned, sort of.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
What I noticed with oilers is they concentrate on lubing the rollers, and not the o-rings. Or does the oil creep to the o-rings?

When I fill up I hit the o-rings directly with HHS2000 and hit the road. Takes 30 seconds.

·
Administrator
17,381 Posts
What I noticed with oilers is they concentrate on lubing the rollers, and not the o-rings. Or does the oil creep to the o-rings?

When I fill up I hit the o-rings directly with HHS2000 and hit the road. Takes 30 seconds.
No issue with my entire chain getting oiled, and that includes the orings. Rain or shine, my chain is always being lubed "automatically" and is protected from the elements far better "IMHO" than a spray on lube.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My Tutoro works great. I bought it on ebay and it came from england but didn't take that long. I ran out of the lube that comes with it and am just using chain saw oil atm.

·
Administrator
6,165 Posts
ok, so ive been putting the miles on the tutoro. Overall, it does a good job. BUT, i do get occasional splatter. I am running at 1/4 open, so pretty low and chain looks good. I made a rear extension for the chain guard to keep the top case clean.
The real issue is the area where the chain runs by your left leg. There is no guard there.
I would consider moving the Tutoro nozzle. Hatchi's image in post #76 is almost ideal, except that I have mine just an eighth inch higher to avoid wearing the nozzle away.
Any fling should go away from the chain's orbit. I can only guess that this splatter occurs when the chain hits the swingarm chain buffer. The hugger should cure that.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I would consider moving the Tutoro nozzle. Hatchi's image in post #76 is almost ideal, except that I have mine just an eighth inch higher to avoid wearing the nozzle away.
Any fling should go away from the chain's orbit. I can only guess that this splatter occurs when the chain hits the swingarm chain buffer. The hugger should cure that.
I thought the nozzle was in a good place according to the directions, no? I did move it a hair closer to the lip. FWIW, after 600 miles i have no nozzle wear. small sample so we'll see.

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,165 Posts
I thought the nozzle was in a good place according to the directions, no? I did move it a hair closer to the lip. FWIW, after 600 miles i have no nozzle wear. small sample so we'll see.
I'd suggest that you reposition your nozzle slightly to spray onto the sprocket, rather than aiming at the chain. Any opportunity for the oil to spread on the sprocket before being flung onto the chain by centrifugal force might help to ensure that the oil does not hit the chain as a blob. This is what I did and I have never seen any splatter on my boots or clothing.

Attachments

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'd suggest that you reposition your nozzle slightly to spray onto the sprocket, rather than aiming at the chain. Any opportunity for the oil to spread on the sprocket before being flung onto the chain by centrifugal force might help to ensure that the oil does not hit the chain as a blob. This is what I did and I have never seen any splatter on my boots or clothing.
I must be missing something, this is already what i am doing as shown in the picture. My apologies if i dont follow, but the nozzle deposits onto the sprocket as is, as shown in the picture. What you explained is also what Tutoro explains.

·
Administrator
6,165 Posts
I must be missing something, this is already what i am doing as shown in the picture. My apologies if i dont follow, but the nozzle deposits onto the sprocket as is, as shown in the picture. What you explained is also what Tutoro explains.
No worries. Just look at the direction that your nozzle is pointing, and at the direction suggested.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have the nozzle touching the sprocket right where ERockJL has his. Yes, it wears it to a 45 degree angle but has worked fine for 16,000+ miles.

·
Administrator
17,381 Posts
I have the nozzle touching the sprocket right where ERockJL has his. Yes, it wears it to a 45 degree angle but has worked fine for 16,000+ miles.
Yup that is "EXACTLY" where it is supposed to be, mine has zero noticeable wear on the nozzle "roughly 11K miles" and also applies the oil wonderfully.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thanks everyone. I have since moved the nozzle a hair closer to the mesh and changed the angle as suggested. We’ll see how that works. I am also currently going back and forth with Tutoro for their suggestions and will update with that info. I also got the tire hugger in, that should take care of the forward fling.

Attachments

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have attached some more pictures, showing the current install, amount of fling, and oil sheen on chain
Control is probably 1/8-3/16.

I guess my question is does the fling look out of the norm? The fling shown is from 50 miles of riding. It gets old cleaning that. Im not worried about a few spots, just trying to stay ahead of it.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,381 Posts
Yup that's my typical fling, sounds like you might be going back to spray lube. ;)

81 - 100 of 115 Posts