StromTrooper banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
A lot of that has to do with what you are wearing next to your skin. Blue jean material is just horrible from that perspective. It just makes me raw after 4 or 5 hours on the best of days. On the other hand, my Carhartt twill or duck pants let me ride many more hours without irritation. I was out today for 7 hours in the brutal heat and humidity we are getting here in the northeast US. ATGATT too! Even today my ass was good till the last hour.
Non-stop 7 hours in the saddle, eh ?

Bet that impresses the ladies.

What kind of seat ?

How much you weigh and how bony your butt is might have something to do with it, too.
I'm
Mine always seems start get sore within 2 straight hours.
My girl was behind me the whole time. That's far from the longest ride we've done two up though. More like 14 hours is our longest day. Sbe loves it just as much as me. That's on a firm option Seat Concepts job. I'm 6'2, 235, and have no ass at all.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The trouble is that I ride every day and can't be without a seat..
You don't have to be without a seat. Terry has seat pans for the Stroms. He'll send you your new seat and then you send him you're original to replace the pan he gave you. He takes a $200 deposit until he receives it and then refunds it promptly.

Terry makes the best seats out there at a ridiculously good price, usually $275 shipped depending on options.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I just recovered my seat after a lowside crash. It was pretty easy to stretch the replacement vinyl over my now modified foam pad, but my manual stapler was underpowered to penetrate the plastic and most staples were way up. I've ordered a pneumatic stapler to try to do it a bit more neatly this next time around. ($13 worth of covering gives enough for 2 tries)

I really didn't like how grippy the stock material was, so I'm hoping both covering and foam mods will really improve comfort.

I'll post up photos and if all goes well, anyone close or passing thru is welcomed to come by and recover. Who knows? Maybe I can start a by mail service as well....

·
Banned
1,584 Posts
My girl was behind me the whole time. That's far from the longest ride we've done two up though. More like 14 hours is our longest day. Sbe loves it just as much as me. That's on a firm option Seat Concepts job. I'm 6'2, 235, and have no ass at all.
It is impossible to ride 14 hours straight without getting off.

You will run out of gas.

I've got a feeling you've got a few get-off's in there you're not mentioning.

·
Registered
340 Posts
It is impossible to ride 14 hours straight without getting off.

You will run out of gas.

I've got a feeling you've got a few get-off's in there you're not mentioning.
Yeah, I got off the bike to eat lunch. If I'm by myself though, I often don't eat. Being 6'2", I don't dismount to gas up. No need. If the babe is along and doesn't need to take a nature break, she stays on too.

·
Registered
153 Posts
There is a YouTube video on recovering motorcycle seats. It did not seem that hard. Sorry, I don't have a link.

I was all set to do it, but I found an unused Saddlemen saddle on Craig's list for $225. Boy does it feel good!

·
Banned
1,584 Posts
Yeah, I got off the bike to eat lunch. If I'm by myself though, I often don't eat. Being 6'2", I don't dismount to gas up. No need. If the babe is along and doesn't need to take a nature break, she stays on too.
You should post over in the 'Great Sore Butt Debate' thread about how you and you girl ride 14 hours straight, while never dismounting to eat, fuel up, nature break, don't have an ass, and then return home to live in a van down by the river, etc.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You should post over in the 'Great Sore Butt Debate' thread about how you and you girl ride 14 hours straight, while never dismounting to eat, fuel up, nature break, don't have an ass, and then return home to live in a van down by the river, etc.
Assuming you're serious, I'm gonna pass on that opportunity. This right here has been about as much fun as I can handle.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
There is a YouTube video on recovering motorcycle seats. It did not seem that hard. Sorry, I don't have a link.

I was all set to do it, but I found an unused Saddlemen saddle on Craig's list for $225. Boy does it feel good!
I found a youtube video and just cut a piece of my old ripped bike cover and stuck it on the inside of the seat cover with waterproof glue and it seemed to work great.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I ripped the skin on my '18 and bought some stretch vinyl from Amazon for under 15 bucks. It seems nice so far, we'll see how long it lasts. It was also nice to be able to reshape the foam a bit with my sander and grinder. Between that and the less grippy cover, I'm really liking it.

Shooting staples into the plastic pan is a PITA. My mechanical stapler wouldn't begin to sink even the shortest staples. There was enough material for a 2nd attempt, so I've ordered a pneumatic upholstery stapler and will re-do it sometime in the near future.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Shooting staples into the plastic pan is a PITA. My mechanical stapler wouldn't begin to sink even the shortest staples.
I don't have room for a pneumatic stapler, so been stuck with mechanical. Done 2 seat concepts kits that way, it is a pain but doable. I have had better luck with one of the slightly fancier mechanical staple guns versus the older kind. It's all about getting enough weight on the stapler when you drive it down in so it penetrates the vinyl and plastic.

p.s. for anyone doing their first seat: be sure to get stainless staples so they won't rust. More expensive, but worth it.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
You can do it with a hand stapler very narrow staples and a nail punch.

A Pneumatic stapler is far easier :). Agreed on the stainless steel staples.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts