StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was just lamenting how well my wee strom was holding up after 50k miles and my seat just split at the seam. I am not sure what direction I want to go in now.

1. Get a used seat
2. Get a fancy Corbin/Sargent seat et al (although I don't really need it as the stock seat seems fine to me even after 12hr days in the saddle)
3. Get the old one repaired.
4. Anything I haven't thought of.

cheers!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
My 1st inclination would be to buy a new stock oem seat. $282 from what Ive seen. Next choice would be a Craig's List or Ebay stock seat. Cheaper, but will have some miles on it unless it is a take-off from an owner who wanted a different seat. Next would be a discussion with Sargent to see if they can repair and recover your seat. Years ago when I put the Corbin Gunfighter on my ZRX1100(I'd be a crippled eunuch with the stock seat on over 150 mile rides, the Corbin is bliss!) I remember Sargent saying they repair seats, not sure about that any more. I LOVE the Corbin. Lastly, find a local auto upholstery shop in your area that can repair it.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Here ya GO! Right on this site!

Corbin for gen 2 wee
Hi folks!
Gen 2 wee Corbin seat in V/good condition w/ 1 small scuff as the only flaw in it.
I purchased it from another member a year or so ago and have since bought one of Mr. Adcox's units that I am using now.
Yours for the low low discount price of $250.oo + shipping from 71294.
P.M. me or text after 3am CST @ 318.355.2859.

·
Banned
1,584 Posts
Might want to consider a Seat Concepts job. The guy was kind of grumpy, but he did a decent job on mine with a lesser price than a Russel Day Long or Terry Adcox.
He does a one size fits all--no custom seats.

Part of the answer to your question is how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here ya GO! Right on this site!

Corbin for gen 2 wee
Hi folks!
Gen 2 wee Corbin seat in V/good condition w/ 1 small scuff as the only flaw in it.
I purchased it from another member a year or so ago and have since bought one of Mr. Adcox's units that I am using now.
Yours for the low low discount price of $250.oo + shipping from 71294.
P.M. me or text after 3am CST @ 318.355.2859.
Unfortunately It has been sold already:frown2:

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you did 50k on the stock seat, you'll be more than happy with a Seat Concepts diy job. Replace the cover and foam yourself. All you need is a staple gun.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you did 50k on the stock seat, you'll be more than happy with a Seat Concepts diy job. Replace the cover and foam yourself. All you need is a staple gun.
Yes I think this is the most likely solution at the moment. If I can't find a used one cheap.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Actually that was my first thought and funny enough my wife said the same thing so it might be a good excuse as I have had the bike for 6 years. However, I would still need to fix the seat in order to sell it.
Your wife says to buy a new bike...
If the bike is in good shape otherwise, and you ride it every day as you say...buy a new seat from Suzuki and BE DONE. Unless you just want a new bike. In that case, get your new machine, get old bike's seat repaired when you can, then sell it if you want. You can ride every day on your new one, sell your old one. Man... you are in a no-lose situation!

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
Used stock seats are on ebay every day and can be had(if you are patient) for under $100. Or, if you have a HD stapler go with a Seat Concepts cover. Consider yourself lucky that your arse likes stock seats.

·
Super Moderator
16,871 Posts
The Suzuki gel seat is better than the stock seat as well, but I second the seat concepts kit.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I've repaired seat seam splits with good success. Someone who actually knew what they were doing could probably even make it look good.

Can't hurt, cheap, and worth a try, anyway.

Materials and tools are simple -- a spool of really tough, black thread (I don't know what I got exactly; I just rummaged around in Joanne fabrics until I found something that looked about right) a packet of large-ish needles, a thimble, pliers for when the thimble isn't enough.

Pull out enough staples to peel back the cover and expose the damaged area. Google the Youtubes for "leather repair" to get an idea of how to proceed. Have at it.

Re-stretch and re-staple. I use 1/4" stainless staples in a Harbor Freight air stapler; a manual stapler works but is far less convenient.

Enjoy.

And if Seat Concepts makes a foam/cover kit for your bike, it's definitely a great way to go. Bang/buck is off the charts, and with an air stapler you can easily install yours in an hour or so.

·
Banned
1,584 Posts
I would like to add one more comment.

I just finished a 300mi+ ride on my Seat Concepts seat with gel 'Canadian Tire' seat cushion strapped to it that I was able to find in the U.S. at Wal-mart a couple years ago. It is definately better than stock. However, after a couple hours, I will find myself temporarily rising up or semi-standing on the pegs while going down the road to allow some blood flow back into my ass to kill the ache.

I've consider expensive seats like Russel Day Long and Terry Adocox, but even though I think they would be an improvement, I cannot believe that one of these seats would allow me to ride for 4 hours straight, then get off the bike and say 'Ahhh, my ass feels great !!'.

I think it is the function of applying pressure to your bottom for hours at a time that is going to result in restricted blood flow which will create this ache, and nothing short of removing that pressure entirely for a period of time will allow the blood flow to resume and eliminate this ache. This is why I have never had the guts to fork out the cash for one of these expensive seats. JMHO

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,230 Posts
If you get the seat redone by Terry Adcox, you have the added benefit of a much more comfortable seat.
Very subjective... I had one made, hated it and sold it in 1 month. The stock seat was WAY more comfortable for ME. It's all personal taste.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I would like to add one more comment.

I just finished a 300mi+ ride on my Seat Concepts seat with gel 'Canadian Tire' seat cushion strapped to it that I was able to find in the U.S. at Wal-mart a couple years ago. It is definately better than stock. However, after a couple hours, I will find myself temporarily rising up or semi-standing on the pegs while going down the road to allow some blood flow back into my ass to kill the ache.

I've consider expensive seats like Russel Day Long and Terry Adocox, but even though I think they would be an improvement, I cannot believe that one of these seats would allow me to ride for 4 hours straight, then get off the bike and say 'Ahhh, my ass feels great !!'.

I think it is the function of applying pressure to your bottom for hours at a time that is going to result in restricted blood flow which will create this ache, and nothing short of removing that pressure entirely for a period of time will allow the blood flow to resume and eliminate this ache. This is why I have never had the guts to fork out the cash for one of these expensive seats. JMHO
A lot of that has to do with what you are wearing next to your skin. Blue jean material is just horrible from that perspective. It just makes me raw after 4 or 5 hours on the best of days. On the other hand, my Carhartt twill or duck pants let me ride many more hours without irritation. I was out today for 7 hours in the brutal heat and humidity we are getting here in the northeast US. ATGATT too! Even today my ass was good till the last hour.

·
Banned
1,584 Posts
A lot of that has to do with what you are wearing next to your skin. Blue jean material is just horrible from that perspective. It just makes me raw after 4 or 5 hours on the best of days. On the other hand, my Carhartt twill or duck pants let me ride many more hours without irritation. I was out today for 7 hours in the brutal heat and humidity we are getting here in the northeast US. ATGATT too! Even today my ass was good till the last hour.
Non-stop 7 hours in the saddle, eh ?

Bet that impresses the ladies.

What kind of seat ?

How much you weigh and how bony your butt is might have something to do with it, too.

Mine always seems start get sore within 2 straight hours.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts