StromTrooper banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
3280km trip in 6 days. 1200km of gravel, sand, mud, rocks. Outback Qld.

1. Scotts Steering Damper. Last year I didn't have you. The difference in sand and rocks is chalk and cheese. I would have given up without this one thing. All I can say is "get one".

2. Continental TKC80's - They rock. I even commute in the rain with them to work now. 19PSI in the front on the Sturt stony desert - all good.

3. Suzuki ABS - you are wonderful in all conditions. I'll post the test vids to youtube to prove it. With suicidal roos and emu's out to get me - love it.

4. stromtrooper, vsri and advrider, - for helping screw with the front forks 8 times until I have (nearly) the perfect setup for a weestrom. Next step is 7.5" travel project.
(BTW - my combo is 0.85, Racetech w/ blue @ 1.5, 5w oil, 10mm preload, 140mm oil)

For the "yeah it's ok bucket"
Wilbers - yep works well, but I've had one failure.
Protaper ATV Hi - nice, but I need more sweep. Bendy time I think. Little more vibey at 5000RPM.
Barkbusters - needed reshaping and offers less wind protection than standard guards.

Catchya
Paul

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Quite right, Keetmanaa.
Glad to see that the phrase "like chalk and cheese" doesn't lose too much in International English. "M'Goy !!"
What would be a better translation in your local "Cantonese" ?

Sounds like a good trip, Me3.
(If only I'd come along as Me2.)
Hope you didn't get too much Queensland mud.
What rear tyre (and pressures) did you use ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the post. Any possibility of you posting your route for the curious?

Just running in a new Wee and really liking the way it handles. I'm thinking a big Australian trip needs to be done in the not too distant future and the Wee feels like the right bike to do it on.

I've been convinced by Grey Wolf's selling of a steering dampener, now I've got luggage sorted out (Coocase 37 and Givi E21) that'll be my next add-on.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quite right, Keetmanaa.
Glad to see that the phrase "like chalk and cheese" doesn't lose too much in International English. "M'Goy !!"
What would be a better translation in your local "Cantonese" ?

Sounds like a good trip, Me3.
(If only I'd come along as Me2.)
Hope you didn't get too much Queensland mud.
What rear tyre (and pressures) did you use ?
Once I hit the gravel -

TKC80 Front - 19PSI - no rim damage

Heidenau Rear (as had worn out TKC and was spare from mate) - 24PSI (no rim damage)

Front ran cool at 19psi up to 115km/hr for 11+ hours on return trip.
Rear was a little warm at 24 with weight on back, preferred being at 28+ on road.

Paul

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the post. Any possibility of you posting your route for the curious?

Just running in a new Wee and really liking the way it handles. I'm thinking a big Australian trip needs to be done in the not too distant future and the Wee feels like the right bike to do it on.

I've been convinced by Grey Wolf's selling of a steering dampener, now I've got luggage sorted out (Coocase 37 and Givi E21) that'll be my next add-on.
Iphone - TomTom - Pick "walking route"
Brisbane - Goondowindi - Collinabri - Lightning Ridge - Bourke - Wanaaring - Tibooburra - Cameron Corner - Innaminka - Quilpie - Condamine - Brisbane.

Be prepared - it would be tough on a stock strom to come back without damage.
On a well prepared one at a reasonable pace it's fine.
No drops for me, but plenty of "nearly's". It did have a nap last year.

Next time I'd travel lighter. I carried 20L of fuel and 13L of water as other bike had issues + food.
Stay in pubs = no food / cooking gear.
5L of fuel is plenty.
3 x 1.25L of water is plenty in winter.
Make my mate carry his own crap - if he falls off - it'lll toughen him up.

Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts