StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All.. She looks great! Akropovic exhaust, PIAA lights, pretty clean..

I started her up and she went, but it DEFINITELY felt "Boggy" or rough until you hit about 2500rpm.. Almost like it's coughing until then. Is this normal? If it is, what is the simplest solution. I'm wondering, if it already has an exhaust, if that means there is a power commander on it? If so, how do I check? Thx!

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,403 Posts
Most common mounting point for a Power Commander is under the seat just to the rear of the battery. There is a plastic tray there that is just right for PC!

I would do a bit of checking on it. Throttle body synchronization, Throttle body sensor, boot loose from throttle body, vacuum leaks, etc. These can worsen or cause the low rpm hiccups.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Welcome!!!!!!!

Is it Sonoma Red? Best color in the history of color.

Yes, the coughing is pretty common on Vees of that vintage. Some say it's because it's tuned lean to try to meet emissions standards, but I don't know. PCIII normally fixes it nicely.

If it has a PCIII it's probably mounted under the seat, with a wiring harness that leads to some connectors on the left side just under the fuel tank. I'm guessing it doesn't have one if it's still stuttering. There's a PCIII thread in the DL1000 forum that will give you tons of information. Some will tell you to do a throttle body sync as well, and that's always a good idea.

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would do a bit of checking on it. Throttle body synchronization, Throttle body sensor, boot loose from throttle body, vacuum leaks, etc. These can worsen or cause the low rpm hiccups.
+1

Definitely do a thorough check of all things related to the throttle bodies and also the valves.

When I dug into mine (with ~11,000 miles on it) I found the rubber caps for the synchronizing ports completely rotted away on my '06 Vee leaving a big vacuum leak. Almost all of my valves were tight, the throttle bodies definitely out of sync, hmm... what else....... and I thought the bike was running half decent on the initial ride home, LOL. Things just keep getting smoother from there.

Depending on the mileage on the bike, if it's up around 25-30,000 miles I'd consider doing the fuel pump mod, or at least check the fuel pump output as it has a very big affect on the fuel injection performance.

I'd suggest going through it properly first, get all the stock stuff right and then look to a PCIII to fine tune the rest.

·
Registered
335 Posts
When I bought mine used (2003 DL1k) it had a bad low rpm bog.

Found that the rear throttle body was just sitting on top of the rubber manifold boot. I'm guessing the boot clamp was loose and the previous owner came down hard on the front after a wheelie. The entire TB assembly got yanked forward and away from the manifold.

After the easy fix, it began to run just like any Strom under 2500 rpm - not great.

Enjoy the new-to-you bike. They're more fun than a hound dog in 'Coonville.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great advice.. Wondering which direction to go to find a good mechanic for the V-Strom.. Some sort of Powersports dealership? It's not terrible, and could be just the way the V-Strom is, but would definitely like it to improve if possible. Looks like it doesn't have a Power Commander, and it does have an exhaust.. Maybe this is a problem? I would think that when you put exhaust on a bike, that it should be tuned via power commander. Maybe the last owner yanked it off after he sold it to the dealership. hmmmm...

·
Registered
19 Posts
How long has the bike been sitting?..and how many miles? First order of business would be to drain all the gas out and put fresh gas in with some fuel injector cleaner - such as Lucas or Seafoam. I'd also change the oil and filter if you have no history of when it was last done. Your air filter may be worn out as well. Congrats and welcome to the club!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No Idea how long it's been sitting. Bought it from a BMW dealer. Good guys, but they didn't have history on the bike really.. It's on almost empty, so I'll fill it with good gas and add a fi cleaner. The bike has about 12,500 miles on her.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well.. The battery is dead.. That could probably have a lot to do with it right? :) Getting a new one today and we'll see what happens.. If the battery is dead, it's probably been sitting, so it may be old gas or water too.. Man, you think you get a good deal, and then you get it in the a$$.. :)

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Great advice.. Wondering which direction to go to find a good mechanic for the V-Strom.. Some sort of Powersports dealership?
That way lies only heartbreak, bankruptcy, and madness. Madness I tell you!

To find the best mechanic for your V-Strom, go look in the mirror.

Or ask other V-Strom riders in your area if there's anyone they trust. Whatever you do, don't just drop it off at the dealer for Skippy the Teenage Alky to practice on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts