StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just brought home my DL1000. Where's the Flasher?

Hey Guys,

I just got my new 2018 XT home and being the tinkerer, I went right for under the seat.

Question: Where the heck is the darn flasher? I want to install a different one to allow me to use my LED bulbs I took of my 650 which I traded. I can't find that sucker. I ordered a full shop service manual but won't have it for a few days.

Thanks for any assistance.

Ron

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I replaced it on mine. It wasn't easy to find it but once I've found it, it wasn't that hard to do it.
It's not where it was on '14 DL1000. To get to it, you have to remove the battery, lift the fuse box and then unscrew the plastic bellow the battery. It's held by 3 vertical screws, then 2 more horizontal screws on each side, screwed into the subframe. Then, there are still 2 clips accessed from the wheel arch.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I replaced it on mine. It wasn't easy to find it but once I've found it, it wasn't that hard to do it.
It's not where it was on '14 DL1000. To get to it, you have to remove the battery, lift the fuse box and then unscrew the plastic bellow the battery. It's held by 3 vertical screws, then 2 more horizontal screws on each side, screwed into the subframe. Then, there are still 2 clips accessed from the wheel arch.
I've noticed, they really son't make these easy to work on. Very little extra space and everything seems sort of inaccessible without removing a bunch of other stuff. You want to change the air filter? Have to remove the tank. To get the tank off, have to remove plastic trim pieces. There are layers of plastic, some with those pesky little fasteners holding wiring in place. :surprise:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the info but I can't find it. I have the battery out, the whole battery box lifted, fuse box and even ECM lifted and I can't find anything that resembles a flasher. I'm sure it's staring me right in the face, however. Why the heck did they have to bury it!

EDIT: I FOUND IT!

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Another new 1000XT
wow
these things are going like hotcakes.
Congrats, enjoy!

Location of the flasher may be dependent on color.
What color did you get?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've noticed, they really son't make these easy to work on. Very little extra space and everything seems sort of inaccessible without removing a bunch of other stuff. You want to change the air filter? Have to remove the tank. To get the tank off, have to remove plastic trim pieces. There are layers of plastic, some with those pesky little fasteners holding wiring in place. :surprise:
My 2018 DL1000 is a dream to work on compared to my 2013 FJR1300 I sold last year, and even though it was one hell of a road bike, the difficulty of working on it was one of the main reasons I sold it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, now that you've done it, any shortcuts? :confused:
Not really. It's on a little clip in between the front of the battery box and the back of the ABS controller. If I had a lift I thought maybe it could be accessible from underneath but I doubt it. Whoever decided it was to be moved there should be fired. These things have always been easily accessed under the seat somewhere.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I took mine out today and replaced it with one I picked up at AutoZone for $12. It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be, but not as simple as it used to be on previous models. This new one looks about the same, but has a 3rd terminal for a ground. No more rapid flash rate, and I now have LED signals up front that are always on, but blink when turning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts