StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I do everything I can to minimize my riding risk. I've been following this concept along for a couple years now and finally decided the design had matured to the point where it made a lot of sense. I bought the fluorescent yellow one so it serves to increase my visibility also. There are lots of first-hand reports of get-offs wearing these where riders walked away uninjured, including one guy on a V-Strom. It's worn over your regular riding gear.

MLV-Lightweight - Details

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hey, neat. I have seen the same concept in surfing. Though different uses, it helps the surfer surface after being disoriented and submerged for too long. It uses a pull string to activate it but, how does this one work?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This youtube video explains it pretty well

SaferMoto Motorcycle Airbag Vests and Jackets - YouTube

Basically the vest tethers to the bike and if the rider separates from the bike a CO2 cartridge inflates an otherwise lightweight vest around the upper torso and neck (250 millisecond inflation time, similar to an airbag in principle) so you look like the Michelin man.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Hey, neat. I have seen the same concept in surfing. Though different uses, it helps the surfer surface after being disoriented and submerged for too long. It uses a pull string to activate it but, how does this one work?
I saw a news story about a group of snow-skiers who got hit with an avalanche, and the only one who survived was wearing a vest like this. It wasn't clear to me if it helped keep the wearer on top of the snow, or made a space around her face to breathe.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I have the yellow mesh Hit-Air inflatable vest...haven't tested it yet.

I sold a lawnmower to a Harley rider, and while explaining how the vest works to him, he said, "So you pull the inflation lanyard just before you lay 'er down...." :jawdrop:

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Hmmm...I'm all for added safety, but I'm really wondering how effective this is. In 13 years as a crash test dummy (er..I mean roadracer..:)) I really don't think it would have helped me that much. That also goes for most of the really bad injuries I saw, and all of the fatalities.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
So what happens when you get off the bike and forget to take it off the bars???.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm sure it won't help in some cases (like sliding under a semi or having a brick wall stop you at 80mph), but if it would prevent a recurrence of the bruised ribs and tweaked neck like I had on the last smash-up then I think it'd be worth it to me. I'll be looking into getting a coat from these folks.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hmmm...I'm all for added safety, but I'm really wondering how effective this is. In 13 years as a crash test dummy (er..I mean roadracer..:)) I really don't think it would have helped me that much. That also goes for most of the really bad injuries I saw, and all of the fatalities.
It's hard for me to imagine how encasing your neck, spine, and internal organs in an inflated airbag would NOT help you in a crash.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
So what happens when you get off the bike and forget to take it off the bars???.
I've seen this type of jacket at a bike show in 2001 and thought it was a dumb-ish idea. But then again, I look like an astronaut in my jacket that has a double layer of armour (hard on the outside to reduce piercing and distribute the impact and soft knox on the inside to cushion the blow).
There is some advantage to the inflata-jacket: it isn't as heavy or bulky as my gear which effectively doubles my volume and makes me look like the michelin man.

I saw this type of jacket once again at a gas station: the guy in front of me got of his bikie to refill it and his jacket inflated. I could clearly hear what he said through my earplugs and over the sound of my unmuffled GS1100: "[email protected]#@! Not again!". Apparently, unintended inflations are common.

I gather that some inflata-jackets solve the problem more elegantly, but a major problem remains: rider and bike are not always separated during a crash. The first impact is often the hardest (the rest is hopefully just a slide down the road). If you're still holding on to the bike when you hit the ground, and if you're wearing an inflata-vest, you might break stuff that you wouldn't have broken if you had been wearing conventional armour.

I've not seen one of those jackets scientifically tested yet, but I haven't been looking since I am not in the market for one due to the abovementioned major problem. The inflatable neck-brace is definitely nice though.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
It's hard for me to imagine how encasing your neck, spine, and internal organs in an inflated airbag would NOT help you in a crash.
If you take a look at the size of the back protectors in a racing suit, it isn't a matter of it not helping - it's a matter of having to choose one or the other and still be able to ride.

The other concern racers have about inflatable suits is going off at the wrong time, when they might cause a crash instead of preventing one.

Many road racers are wearing compression suits, chest protectors, and/or Leatt neck braces. But any safety gear they wear has to be approved by the racing agency, and they tend to stick to tried-and-true. Just as with PFD's in the marine safety industry, it will take a while before inflatables are accepted.

Both Dianese and Alpinestars released inflatable racing suits in 2010 snf msy hit the streets this year. Reportedly they reduce impact to the body in a crash to 1/10th of what it was. A number of top racers are wearing them. But these are very expensive, rlrctronically-activated systems.

·
Registered
313 Posts
In just random searching on all the different manufacturers making these things... this article popped up

Baltimore 10/12/07 Jacket Saves Motorcyclist

In addition: Further down in the search results these douchebags use the above news article (modified and generalized of course) for their own advertising.

The more I look into this the more halfast manufacturers I find... I'm starting to wonder who are the reputable ones and how do you know for sure as it looks to be a fairly new and not well established field.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Is it reusable or is it a one time use item?

Never mind...I just watched the video...Reusable, with $22 for a new CO2 cartridge. Not bad.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
I am sure that they have thought of that scenario... The jacket may contain electronics like an accelerometer to sense sudden deceleration in addition to being disconneted from the bar...

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Just basing it on my experience, the 20 or so times I crashed and 100's I saw. Not to say that there's not a scenario where it would help, just that vast majority of the time it's not going to do much.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
...it's a matter of having to choose one or the other and still be able to ride.
Or: even wanting to ride. There is a point of diminishing returns (for me, anyway) where piling on so much gear becomes such a distraction, and during S FL summers, so frickin hot, that it's not worth the trouble anymore. I've reached my limit with gloves, boots, mesh/armor jacket, and a lid.

Oh, and pants. I wear pants when riding.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Good luck

At 60 MPH you will travel 22 feet in a 1/4 second

I think explosive airbags deploy in much less time like 40 milliseconds or faster

So if you think your gonna hit jump hard so you fly that 22 feet.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Just to clear up some misconceptions in the above posts:

This is worn over your existing gear. It's not a substitute for your gear.

It would be very very difficult to accidentally inflate the vest. If you watch the video, you would have to almost pull your motorcycle over in order to set it off by forgetting to unplug yourself. Whoever witnessed an accidental inflation of a vest, it was likely not this particular vest.

Yes it is true that it's an addition hassle to wear in addition to your existing gear. I find the extra safety to be worth the hassle. Others may not.

It is reusable. Replacement CO2 chargers cost $20.

Just basing it on my experience, the 20 or so times I crashed and 100's I saw. Not to say that there's not a scenario where it would help, just that vast majority of the time it's not going to do much.
Respectfully, I disagree. Apparently so do Dianese and Alpine Stars, they are both heavily invested in this technology.

This particular vest is meant for street riding. Racers wear compression suits, chest protectors, and/or Leatt neck braces, all of which would be very rarely worn on the street. Hence the benefit of additional torso, back and neck protection on the street that you may have not had need of crashing on the track. So it's not really applicable to your experience.

But there are always disagreements about new safety technology, heck go to a HD forum and they are still scoffing at ABS and helmets.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Keep in mind this is meant for street riding, and I assume unless you're the worst rider in the world that your 20 crashes were on the track, which has a very different need for protection than street riding, so much so that I doubt your experience with crashing on the track would be applicable when evaluating street riding gear. As noted above though, there are major advances in inflatable track suits and I think you will find they are the rule rather than the exception in the near future.
There are several AFM racers on our local forum that wear these at the track and swear by them, so they're not necessarily street-only.

I like the idea a lot, but I wear more gear than most folks. I'm just not a fan of the lanyard approach, and am skeptical that it can inflate quickly enough. I think Dianese has a comparison of their D-Air system against "inflatable vests" (without naming names) and they indicate that their reseach shows that a lanyard-activated system isn't quick enough. I don't know if this is Marketing spin or real fact.

I prefer to wear a Leatt brace. It's there all the time and doesn't require anything to "deploy" to protect my neck in the event of a crash. The new STX Road version is low profile enough that on a bike with an upright position like the Wee there is no negative impact to range of motion. Once it's on, you hardly even know it's there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've seen a few video's of the air jacket in action. The guy wearing swears it helps. The neck support is very good. and this guy bumped and rolled a long coming to an abupt stop at a 6 inch curb. It's the next step in advance protection. Of course there are those that think a we should have never stopped wearing leather helmets and glass goggles...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts