StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was finally able to close the deal on a new 2014 DL1000 today. It has all of 3 miles on it and has the full warranty.

Before I pick it up in a few days the dealer is installing a new battery. They say there is no concern about the tires being 3 years old since they've not been exposed to the sun or any other weather.

It has the J10 ECU and it'll only be updated with the J11 if there's a proven issue and Suzuki okays it.

I also need to look into any recalls on the bike and make sure they're addressed too.

Is there anything else reasonable I should ask the dealer to do/check before I take delivery?

I'm hoping it's at least 40F when it's time to bring the bike home so I can ride it home, otherwise it's coming home on my trailer.

As much as I tried, I just could not convince myself to buy the FJ-09. It was a lot of fun to ride short distances but my gimpy knees and lower back much preferred the V-Strom. I also didn't care for the digital tachometer and brutal glare off the cluster when the sun was at my back.

My 2012 DL650 was ergonomically excellent after changing the bars, installing risers, lowering pegs, mirror extenders, a Givi Airflow shield etc and I expect the DL1000 will need similar attention possibly including a G2 throttle tamer (I felt like a real newbie on the 1000 with the way the throttle first comes on). The only thing my 650 was missing was a bit of giddy-up and go.

I've already hit Richland Rick's site tonight to order some of the goodies. I need to find a good place to order a new Givi V56 top case and rack. Looks like ordering from Italy is the cost effective way to go if a few week wait isn't an issue, and at this point in the season it's not.

Wish me luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nice bike! Way to go!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've already hit Richland Rick's site tonight to order some of the goodies. I need to find a good place to order a new Givi V56 top case and rack. Looks like ordering from Italy is the cost effective way to go if a few week wait isn't an issue, and at this point in the season it's not.

Wish me luck!
Motostorm is your friend. I bought all my Givi stuff from there and saved hundreds.

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
Congrats on the new bike, very exciting.

I am sure they did the recall on it long ago so that should not be a worry.

When you go to pick it up, check to see if the engine is cold, then start it up just to be sure the idle is OK. Do not rev the engine and see if it sounds like it is going to stall out. Mine does that, and it is easy to rev the engine a few times to get around it, but the bike should be capable of idling from cold without that. That is an ECM issue since there is no idle adjustment.

Brake and clutch fluid is supposed to be replaced every 2 years, so yours is a year past due unless they flushed it for you. It doesn't matter if the bike is ridden or not, the Fluid picks up moisture over time. The oil should be fine, same with coolant.

My dealer told me not to clean the white lithium grease off the chain until after the first 500km.

Regarding the Italian connection, it is best to wait for a sale over there, otherwise you end up paying close to the same as here. I found prices at Fortnine to be very close, even a few bucks cheaper for the Givi 58 litre topbox I bought, all expenses included.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Regarding the Italian connection, it is best to wait for a sale over there, otherwise you end up paying close to the same as here. I found prices at Fortnine to be very close, even a few bucks cheaper for the Givi 58 litre topbox I bought, all expenses included.
I'm seeing about $250 difference currently for the 58 litre topbox ($346 for Motostorm vs. $593 from Fortnine)

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
I'm seeing about $250 difference currently for the 58 litre topbox ($346 for Motostorm vs. $593 from Fortnine)
Is that $593 canadian bucks with free shipping? and is that $346 USD before shipping and any duties when it arrives? I was dinged an extra $65 to import it, but this may be just a Canadian thing, couriers love to rob from the poor as often as possible. ;)

I just mentioned the price because when I added it all up Fortnine was a few bucks cheaper for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is that $593 canadian bucks with free shipping? and is that $346 USD before shipping and any duties when it arrives? I was dinged an extra $65 to import it, but this may be just a Canadian thing, couriers love to rob from the poor as often as possible. ;)

I just mentioned the price because when I added it all up Fortnine was a few bucks cheaper for me.
Ah, I see. Fortnine is in Canadian dollars, didn't realize that. I hear ya about couriers robbing you. I paid $346 + around $30 shipping for my case. There are no import fees to the US for motorcycle accessories. I've been buying from Motostorm for years and have never had to pay any import fees.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. I have the same year model and I love it. I just put a throttle tamer on but have not had good enough weather to ride. The wind has been kicking up something fierce. Ride on!

Jes

·
Registered
26 Posts
Congrats. I too just got the exact same bike a couple of weeks ago but have only ridden it twice due to weather and now I am away on vacation. I had the same worries as you about the fluids and I am having the brake fluid changed with the 1st oil change at 600 miles

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Congrats. I've had the same bike for 2 years and am loving it. No ECU problems, idle hammer, etc. Just a lot of fun riding.
Have a blast.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Woohoo, Congrats. I just bought a 2014 with 8000 miles on it. Now to get all the farkles. So far I am loving it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Congrats. You got a new 14 and I just got a used 16...kinda backwards. Mine has the 3 piece Suzuki luggage and the trunk is quite small. I've always liked Shad cases because you can leave them unlocked for easy access and lock up when you want to. They have a new top case called the E58 with a special feature ....it adjust to 3 different sizes. You cant tell by looking at it. Check it out . You might like it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ended up ordering a Givi V56NN top case and Givi SRA3105 rack to go with it, both from Motostorm.it. I should have them on-hand before I commute to work on the bike and need the storage. Thanks for the lead on this site. I prefer to buy closer to home but there was a very large difference in the cost that I could not ignore. I patronized a few on-shore establishments too to balance it all out.

I had the Admore light kit in the Givi E52 on my DL650 but that case went with the bike. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to add it to this case too. I'm sure whatever I do, Eastern Beaver will again figure into it.

I asked the dealership about changing the brake and clutch fluid before I take delivery because the bike was manufactured 3 years ago this month and the fluid schedule is every two years at the most. They're looking into it, no response yet. I hope they don't want to charge me for doing this before I even take delivery of the bike. Just my luck if I don't get it done, something would go wrong on day 2 of ownership and the warranty claim would be denied because the fluid has been in there for 3 years. :furious:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. You're going to have miles and miles of fun on it I'm sure!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just talked to the dealership and they're not going to change the brake fluid and clutch fluid before I pick up the bike on Saturday, despite it having been in there since the bike was built in early 2014. They said it doesn't need it because the bike hasn't been used. I pointed out that the maintenance schedule calls for it to be changed every two years without regard to the mileage. They said a bike sitting inside does not absorb moisture like a bike being used outside. I'm not sure if humidity and moisture know this rule or not.

Since they won't do it pre-delivery, I don't intend on paying them to do it post-delivery. I may look at doing this myself for peace of mind if nothing else. Oh well, nothing else I can do about it now so I'm not going to obsess on it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Racefan, I expressed the same concerns to the dealership that I bought mine from any they gave same spiel and they want me to bring it in for the 600mile service to change the oil and "check that the bolts are tight" for $375. Ain't happening. I will do the oil & filter myself and found a highly rated independent shop to change the brake fluid.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Much to my surprise and delight, I just got a call from the dealership telling me that they went ahead and did both the clutch and brake fluid change. When they said they were not going to do it, I politely asked them if they could state this on the purchase agreement just in case there was some issue with either the clutch or brakes while the bike was still under warranty I'd have a record of me at least asking about it.

The weather looks ok for Sunday and Monday for me to start the break in.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
You LUCKY DOG, you!
Signed~
Severely Envious

1 - 20 of 62 Posts