StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I just bought a 2013 V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure from MotoCorsa in Portland. Less than 4,000 miles so was in great shape. Rode it home to Spokane (great ride btw!), parked in the garage. Next morning I notice some leaks on the floor - smells and feels like engine oil. Engine oil gauge shows just under full oil.

I'm kind of a newbie rider, and not a gearhead, so I'm not really sure if the leaking could be because it just got serviced before the sale, or if it's a problem.

I attached some pics - I can't really tell where the oil's coming from, but it seems to be traveling down both sides of the rear shaft and dripping off the bolt area. As well as a spot underneath the middle of the bike.

Interesting enough, possibly related, I'm experiencing the weird "buzzing" or "crackling" noise on throttle. It won't let me post a link as a newbie but search the thread "odd buzzing under throttle load."

I have an email into the dealer but thought I'd check the vast knowledge here too. Thanks for any insight!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Welcome first!

There should not be any oil at either location. And after riding that many miles any oil from the last service (if there was such a thing) should have dropped of.

I think you need to start some detective work and figure out where its coming from. Check the rear shock. It should be dry. If its wet that would be bad news if the fluid came out of the shock.

If not from there you need to investigate the counter sprocket area. There are 2 possibilities for an oil leak: Clutch pushrod and the counter sprocket shaft. If its coming from there I would expect to see oil under that area, not at the rear wheel.

Get your fingers dirty and follow the oil residue. It will lead you to the source.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Yeah, that's not good. :frown2:

Try and figure out what type of oil it is, motor or hydraulic. Motor would be worst case scenario, brakes and shock would be next. Follow oil back to where it came from, or clean and run it. Check around counter shaft sprocket for engine oil. Check rear brake reservoir.

Not a good start unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
You live in WA, bought from OR. In the last couple days? I don't know for sure, but it is probably Oregon's vehicle warranty laws that would need to be looked at. Find out if there is a legal timeframe (usually just a few days, like 3) where a vehicle purchase can be cancelled and the vehicle returned for a refund of your money. It differs with each state, and I don't know if it applies to new or used motorcycles. But find out quick. Good luck!

Steve.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all! I scheduled an appointment with my local Suzuki shop but they can't get me in until late next week.

I did investigate further, and there is a coat of oil all over everything from the back of the motor, spring, and swingarms. Like it's been sprayed all over everything. Not sure exactly where it's coming from yet but the largest collected drips were at the bottom back of the motor. I wiped everything I could off in hopes that it keeps leaking and helps me determine where it's coming from. Thanks again everyone, really appreciate the insight.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Looks like oil from the chain. Mine always looks like that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
This was my first thought, but the residue on the shock linkage is not consistent with an over lubed chain.
Perhaps over filled oil blowing out, as there was oil on the back of the engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was there a valve check done by the dealer? Rear head cover gasket leaking?
They said they did a full service on it. It's a very reputable dealer, but, who knows. I looked at the bike pretty good before making the purchase but didn't get down on my hands and knees and look where it's leaking now.

I mentioned the oil gauge showed full - that was four days ago when I got it home and first noticed the leak. I just checked again, and it's about empty. Below low, I mean pretty much empty. Will refill and see if I can find the leak. Not at all stoked.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Oil drain plug leaking?

Oil filter leaking? If it wet around the oil filter remove it and make sure there are not 2 gaskets. Sometimes the old oil filter gasket stick to the engine side.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I think you need to get on your hands and knees with a good flashlight and just look. You will see where its coming from if it is that much leaking out. Do that before filling up the oil and take a picture of the current level as evidence.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Thanks all! I scheduled an appointment with my local Suzuki shop but they can't get me in until late next week.

I did investigate further, and there is a coat of oil all over everything from the back of the motor, spring, and swingarms. Like it's been sprayed all over everything. Not sure exactly where it's coming from yet but the largest collected drips were at the bottom back of the motor. I wiped everything I could off in hopes that it keeps leaking and helps me determine where it's coming from. Thanks again everyone, really appreciate the insight.
If you've scheduled an appointment with a shop I would not wipe oil off as they need to see and diagnose. Also if oil is on everything it could be on your rotor/pads as well. I have had a countershaft seal go on a DR650 and the back of bike including tire and brakes was a mess. good luck.

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
That's a shame, my 04 doesn't leave tracks on the floor after 100K miles.
It's a pity when a new owner has issues from the get go.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think I would look at getting your money back if still able to. Who knows how long that issue has been present or if it has been run low on oil while operating if its not something simple like a loose/cross threaded drain plug. That really sucks, I'd have them picking up the bike from my house, like immediately...

·
Registered
537 Posts
From the pictures it looks like engine oil which runs along the swing arm (slightly downhill) and then drips down at he shown locations. Clutch cover, around front sprocket maybe? Anyway have you call the selling dealer? You just bought it, they should stand behind it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Check to make sure the cam-tension adjuster is tight.
And ask the dealer if the crankcase breather tube had been disconnected from the air box. It may have been reinstalled wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone for the input and advice. The selling dealer did call me back, they want to wait and see what the diagnosis is from local shop. Appointment is next Thurs.

It's sat for two days now and it's still actively leaking. New pics attached. I can't find the source, although from your feedback and what I can tell, it seems to have sprayed out from the area of the front sprocket. The oil accumulated everywhere, I just can't tell where it's coming from.

Maybe more concerning, maybe nothing, there's a couple places where chain grease and grime has accumulated, see pics with arrows. As this was a newly-serviced bike, I shouldn't be seeing that should I? Wondering if that's normal for a newly greased chain or it might have something to do with the oil problem..

Attachments

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
The chain mess is "normal". They may not have cleaned it perfectly but you also rode quiet a few miles with oil leaking possibly from the counter sprocket or the clutch pushrod. So the oily chain will pick up more dust and deposit it.

Lets hope it is the pushrod seal. That's an easy fix. Counter sprocket, at that mileage would be concerning, possibly caused by an overtight chain. That could have caused more damage and I would cancel the sale. How much play has the chain with the bike on the side-stand?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Take the counter shaft cover off and look around in there. Pretty simple.

With our help you won't get ripped off and have the dealer tell you it's going to cost $$$ to fix. 0:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts