StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so admittedly it was one of only 25 or so days per year when the sun was shining, the sky was blue, the chance of rain was zero, and the temp started with a "7". A day for a ride. I traveled from Battle Ground, WA up through Cougar into the Gifford Pinchot N.F. with intentions of reaching Trout Lake, WA for a world-famous Huckleberry smoothie. But alas it was not to be do to a slide. So I looped back and traveled up to the McClellan Viewpoint on Old Man Pass, visited with another half-dozen or so riders with the same idea, and traveled one of the top motorcycle roads in Washington (Wind River Highway) back down to the Columbia River, and cruised Columbia River Gorge back home. But enough talk, here's the pics:

A morning shot of Mt. St. Helens from the south end of Chelatchie Prairie. Of note is that it was 31 years ago this week that she lost her pointy top!

Here's a closer shot of the mountain from a hilltop over Lake Merwin:

A nice shot of one of the three reservoirs along NF 90, this being Yale:

Yes I understand that in the rest of the country it is late Spring, but here...

Nest I stopped by Lower Lewis River Falls and saw the impact of a mega-flow from the spring melt:

Here's a little video as well that gives some idea of the flow:

Next I was foiled (and denied a smoothie) by the slide, about 7 miles west of Lower LR Falls on NF 90: :headbang:

I was told by someone later that the snow line was probably only another 3-5 miles ahead of this spot and that I would not have been able to get to Trout Lake anyway...

As I looped back over Old Man Pass there were measurable snow walls lining the road and it was pretty darn cold there:

And finally a shot of the mountain from the McClellan Overlook on Old Man Pass:

All in all, a fabulous day for a ride!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nice report. We often head up that way. I call it the Three Mountains Loop (St Helens, Adams & Hood. Love to ride Windy ridge again but it's not often that road is open before mid-July.
Cheers,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts