StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[ Not sure if this is OK here or if it needs to go to a tech area...but here it is...]

I guess this fits in with the theme of penny-tech panniers, but in my case I'm going to call it penguin-tech - regardless of what it cost.

I'm going for a bit of a wander soon so I need a bit better luggage than what I have - and since departure date is getting close it was turning more from "what do I want?" to "what can I get?".

I already have the SW-Motech Quicklok pannier frames that I was intending on using for.......whatever.....I was leaning towards soft luggage like some of the Andy-Strapz panniers, but since I will be in more inhabited areas(some of the time) I want a bit of security.

Christo mentioned that Carba-Tec had instrument cases on sale - after a bit of thought that looked like a reasonable compromise - useful space, quick delivery, something I can do myself, not too much outlay in case I change my mind later, and if i do change my mind I just plug some holes and I have two large instrument cases ;-)

The order from Carba-Tec took about three days to arrive.

Eventually I stopped messing about with the other items I'd ordered and decided to get to it.

So here we have the cases and the bike:

Note that the bike has an exhaust on one side and the tool tube mounted on the inside of the frame on the other.

First step is to remove the frames and get them into the workshop:

The "face" of the two frames is the same but reversed, or to put it another way, the frames have the same holes in the same location from front to back.

Then - make a template. Always make a template if you ever intend(or might need to) make more than one of anything. In this case(pun?), there are two cases, so making a template was a no-brainer.

I can use the template for both sides as long as I remember to flip it over to point in the right direction. To this end the template has an arrow towards the front of the bike.

The template shows the outside of the frame and all the mounting holes already in it - I'll pick which ones I want to use in a moment.

So now I mark out the cases - I've made use of the various lumps on the base of the case to make aiming marks. Note that the cases are also marked to show the front of the bike - so I just match to the template.

Next step is to remove the lumps that are in the way on the base of the case - I want the case flat against the frame to spread the load on the plastic and prevent vibration. Any strength lost by removing these ribs is offset by the firmer fit against the frame(ie the frame and case become one item rather than two things bumping against each other).

Now we drill - the first couple of holes have been drilled based on the template, once I have two holes I can use the frame itself as a drilling guide as I can bolt it down to stop it moving.

Here I've started mounting the case - inside the case is a body washer from an auto shop, the kind used to fit mudflaps. The idea is to pinch the case between the large washer and the frame - more contact means firmer fit and less vibration.

I've got the bolt heads inside the case and the nylock nuts outside(towards the bike) - using nylocks so they won't undo themselves as the bike vibrates. Two of the holes I selected to use were based on the mounts for my tool tube - there's going to be a bolt there anyways!

Once both sides are done, the whole lot gets remounted to the bike and I try to figure out how to get it through the door!

Eventually I would like to fit small cargo nets inside the cases to make loading easier and a small chain or rope to stop the case opening too far and spilling my gear onto the road, but for the moment that's it!

Cheers!

·
Registered
808 Posts
I like it!

A great valentines gift for any strom I reckon, they look good. I might think about that as an option one day as my 'big' Givis are great on big trips, but a little bulky on smaller road runs. I have softies for gravel runs.

Thanks for the great pics and suggestions. We were up at Tamborine (car) on the weekend, it was too bloody hot down here..a lot of shops are closing down though. The economy is really bad everywhere now. Very sad to see.

I am joining a mixed ride back up there and Beechmont and Boonah this Saturday (2 x Ducatis, 1 x Tiger, 1 x CBR, 3 x Stroms....and what ever else)

Trevor

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A great valentines gift for any strom I reckon, they look good. I might think about that as an option one day as my 'big' Givis are great on big trips, but a little bulky on smaller road runs. I have softies for gravel runs.
FWIW the internal capacity is about 30L - I got the "medium" size case also and they only give you 18L per side.

Thanks for the great pics and suggestions. We were up at Tamborine (car) on the weekend, it was too bloody hot down here..a lot of shops are closing down though. The economy is really bad everywhere now. Very sad to see.
Gallery Walk is always a tough place - lots of tourists, but nobody buying(except food). They've had a bit of a hit recently with the damage to the causeway over the Coomera River at Oxenford - that's the main road used by tourists from Brisbane and it gives the perception that "the mountain is closed". Interesting times ahead!

I am joining a mixed ride back up there and Beechmont and Boonah this Saturday (2 x Ducatis, 1 x Tiger, 1 x CBR, 3 x Stroms....and what ever else)

Trevor
I've booked into the FarRide to Nambucca Heads this weekend - there's generally lots of everything ;-)

Cheers!

·
Registered
386 Posts
a small chain or rope to stop the case opening too far and spilling my gear onto the road,

Nice job.

FWIW, I bought Twisted Throttle's pelican case kit for the wife's bike. The kit had some folding lid supports that I REALLY like. Far superior to any of the cable stays I've seen in other set-ups. From what it looks like you could probably pick them up at a hardware store. They look like the one below but are not brass. They give you rivets and rubber sealed washers to attach them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts