StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a very good chance I will be going to Tehachapi, California on a business trip at the end of June or beginning of July. If this trip comes through, I plan on riding down from Orem, Ut., and taking a week to week & a half afterwards to ride up the California coast (& hit some mountains, too), across Oregon to Boise, Idaho, head east & south to 84, to I15 & home. My goals are to avoid superslab, and get in as much mountain twisty/sweeper roads & coastal roads as possible, riding 4 to 500 miles a day, mostly camp along the way, maybe spend one day in San Francisco ...I grew up in South east San Jose, so I think I can find a place to stay, and maybe spend a day riding in the mountains there. I've been referencing madmaps and Butler maps so far. I've been getting some camping equipment this week.
Hoping it will work out!
Doug

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Correction: I grew up in south West San Jose.
Another goal is to avoid I-80 across Nevada. I'm very interested in riding across from the coast to Redding, CA., ...
Doug

·
Registered
14,473 Posts
Hiya, I've done Hwy 96 from 5 to the Coast and parts of the side roads around happy Camp. Nice windy road. I had the sidecar rig at the time, solo would be more fun. There was a good pizza, Italian sandwich place in Happy Camp when I was there a few years ago.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Sounds like a fun trip! A person could spend a lifetime riding roads along the coast, and inland from the coast. Hwy 199 from Crescent, Ca to Grants Pass, Or. goes through the Redwoods and is spectacular!

Getting from the coast to Boise: if you go as for north as Eugene you might consider taking the SR 126 east then onto SR 242 to Sisters, before Sisters, when you get to the peak, stop at the pull out and take the very short hike to the rock 'building'. - there are peepholes you can look out and identify the other mountains.

If you continue on SR26 and can make your way to Enterprise, ride south to Joseph - Joseph is a very nice tiny town to spend some time in. On your way into town, you will pass the Mountain View RV and Cabin Park, Scott runs the place and is VERY motorcycle friendly. From there it's possible to continue on to Hells canyon, Weiser and then to Boise. The road from Hells canyon to Cambridge (SR71) is one of the curviest roads I've ever been on.

I have to say your mileage goals combined with camping would be a little ambitous for me, but I'm sure you have a system worked out.
Good luck, and I'm looking forward to see you RR and pics.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
notacop; thanks for the info and reply.

T-ville; the pop-up tent pops out from under the seat (that way, the bike ends up being inside the tent and stays dry too - it's very comforting to sleep next to my bike when out on the road...), and the activation button is hidden as one of the fairing push rivets. I'll never tell which one it is, though.:beatnik:
Doug

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the input, 2mstone! Oregon is the biggest unknown for me, so that is awesome.

according to my motorcycle maps, there seems to be LOTS of mountain deviations that could be made while working up the California coast.

I've driven I-80 so many times that I absolutely hate it, even though it's been a few years. The last time we drove through wind driven sand for a LONG time.

This kind of a trip is totally new for me.

I haven't liked camping for many years; I broke both legs in 1990 when a girl ran into my 86 chevy blazer door with her car, closing it on my legs since I was standing in between the door & the rocker panel, ready to climb into the vehicle. For many years any physical activity meant days of horrible pain. When our kids were little, we would go camping and I would stay in camp with the very young ones in the heat with all of the bugs while my wife would do the physical stuff with the older ones. Hated it - couldn't hike, etc. Anyways, I have a new knee and things are better camping now. Heck, this kind of a trip makes me excited to camp!

I was wondering about my mileage goals.
I'm going from stuff I'm reading, so it's good to get some other input. I'm not usually big on making a lot of stops while traveling, but that has always been by cage where you are just intent on getting to where you're going to... one concern I have is where to stay along the way, and if I need lead time for some camping spots. A couple of years ago we went out to the Bay area for a family reunion and camped at a beach campground. I understand it was very unusual to be able to get a spot reserved a week before we left, and we had to stop on the way at some office to pick up the paperwork.

I'm planning on spending some good time on the internet or with a map program while looking at my motorcycle maps to try and figure out daily distances and stops that might make sense.

Doug

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Doug,
That really stinks about getting your legs injured! I hope they continue to improve for you.

Re: Daily mileage. When I'm camping I usually do less miles per day because of the time spent setting up the tent, cooking, etc. I like to stay around 300 miles when camping; besides, sitting in camp on my folding chair watching the sunset while a steak sizzles on the grill has it's own value. :thumbup:
But everyone is different... that's just what works for me.

I would guess that campsites along the coast must be reserved. That is the impression I got from the Western V-Strom Rally thread.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Doug,
That really stinks about getting your legs injured! I hope they continue to improve for you.

Re: Daily mileage. When I'm camping I usually do less miles per day because of the time spent setting up the tent, cooking, etc. I like to stay around 300 miles when camping; besides, sitting in camp on my folding chair watching the sunset while a steak sizzles on the grill has it's own value. :thumbup:
But everyone is different... that's just what works for me.

I would guess that campsites along the coast must be reserved. That is the impression I got from the Western V-Strom Rally thread.
Yep you'll want to reserve your camp spot when camping on the coast. Especially at that time of the year! As soooooooon as you know the dates. Some fill up as soon as they start taking reservations.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After looking at my motorcycle maps for hours, here's my intended route;

Saturday; South to St. George on Utah State Highways (East of 89 for most of it)-probably camp. (anyone want to ride part or all of it with me?)

Sunday; St. George to Tehachapi, Calif. on I-15 mainly. Hotel there on Work.

Monday-Wednesday/Thursday (hopefully only 3 or 4 days); "Work" at Wind power tower erection site. This really means observing them putting up the tower we've been 3D modeling and doing drawings for past several years. I'm excited!

1 day; Tehachapi to Ventura, riding a bunch of mountain roads to the coast, then North along the coast, mainly on 1 & some 101 up to bay area. probably stay in San Jose with family friends or try to stay with friends in Modesto?

1 day; ride 200+ miles of mountain roads between San Jose & the coast, maybe go to Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco also. Anyone ridden in SF? I imagine it's probably insane with all of the congested traffic & HILLY terrain! Same accommodations?

1 day; ride up the Northern Calif. coast, also taking in mountain roads between the coast & Redding that are supposed to be spectacular, probably ending up around the Calif./Oregon border area. Camp

1 day; Ride Mountain roads through Oregon to Oregon/Washington border area. Camp.

1 day; Ride Mountain roads across Washington to Idaho border Area North of Cor de Lane close to the Canadian border. Camp.

1 day; Ride Mountain roads South & East through Northern Idaho & Montana down to Yellowstone, Wyoming. Camp.

1 Day; Drop down from Yellowstone, keeping to Mountain roads as much as possible to Bear Lake, and then on Home via those awesome mountain roads South of Bear Lake (can't remember the names, East of Ogden, East Canyon, etc., come out On I-80, to Heber & down Provo Canyon to Orem.

If I only have to work for 3 or 4 days, I think I can finagle an extra day or 2(Maybe) for riding, which would probably mean some time for a little more relaxed pace or some exploring perhaps. I haven't been to Oregon, Washington, or Montana.

I'm checking out the Motorcycle Travel Network this weekend.

Do Americans an American passport to enter Canada? I'm going to be so close to the border at one point, it would be cool to pop over & back. I don't have a current passport though.

One thing I want to know more about is how to figure out "free", remote places to camp - out of the way, not causing any problems for anyone, of course.

I have almost all of the camping equipment I need, just need to pick up a few odds & ends.

My Bike; I'll need to replace my brake pads & tires, and change my oil/oil filter before leaving. Everything else on my bike is ready to go after working hard on it this winter.

I'm considering adding 2 each, 2 gallon Rotopax flat gas cans to my bike setup, mountings on the out sides of my Givi hard side cases. That would extend my range from 220ish hundred miles to to about 370 miles. I have 3 business Chevron cards I use for gas, paying for it only once a month, and it would be VERY nice to be able to keep to Chevron or Texaco stations as much as possible on the trip.

I'm trying to figure out how best to pack along 2-3 gallons of water, especially if I'm doing non-approved/unimproved camping for cleaning up mainly. Rotopax makes flat plastic cans for this, but their systems are expensive, and I don't want to add more than a couple of gallons of wet weight to my side cases & their mountings.

Well, that's all for now!

Anyone interested in joining me for part(s) of my trip?

Doug

·
Registered
295 Posts
Might want to keep this in mind:
The Central valley of California will be like a blast furnace in July with daytime temperatures well exceeding 100+ especially around Redding

Dress (or undress) accordingly !!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I don't think you'll need that much extra fuel. You'll never be that far from gas stations. As expensive as the rotopax units cost you're better off just buying one or getting a few 1L gas containers and mounting them somewhere. I did a similar route a few years ago and stayed off the beaten path quite a bit, never needed the extra fuel. I carried a 1L bottle, and it was nice piece of mind knowing I had it, but never needed it.

You will need a passport to go into Canada. You've got time to get one. Might as well.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I agree that extra fuel along the Ca coast would be overkill.

And, not from first hand experience but, I would be very careful if you camp off a dirt road somewhere. I have heard the pot growers can be very unpleasant if someone infringes on their area.

I like your route, sounds like fun! Don't overplan... and as Basecamp would say, "Practice the art of living".

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My business trip has been delayed by probably 2 weeks. The bummer part of that is I had been planning on getting in on the Vstrom Western Rally in Ventura on July 19th - 21st, just before I needed to be in Tehachapi for work on the 22nd. bummer.

I finally got my route into Microsoft Streets & trips (by the day) last week; 5500 miles total with 13 days of riding! That's on top of a week in Tehachapi, Ca. for work.

Finding camping near the coast in the southern Bay area is impossible!! I had previously thought about trying to stay a night with some family friends in San Jose, but I decided that I really don't like them & have no desire to even talk to them. I guess they're more my parent's friends at this point. My wife has an Aunt & uncle in San Jose I could probably stay at for a night. Some friends in Modesto have generously offered to have me over. The extra 4 hours of travel time will be too much...

I've got my camping & other gear together, and mostly organized. I'm looking forward to that me, myself, & I time; it's going to be crowded! Can't decide which one of us will have to stay home! I need to do a practice camping trip locally & small ride for bike loading purposes. Also, change out the brake pads, oil & filter,...

I picked up some great gear recently; some nice Alpinestar vented riding boots (I could not believe it when I actually feel AIRFLOW in the boots!), Alpinestar mesh riding pants, back protector (the foam in my jacket is pitiful), and an Arai adventure helmet (can't believe how light and comfortable it is!, & AIRFLOW!). With all that & cycling shorts with chamois, I expect to be WAY comfortable!!

Most days will be between 400 & 500 mile, 8 to 10 hour riding days (in total comfort!). About the only super slab I'll be hitting is between St. George, Ut., & Tehachapi, Ca.
I figure on getting off early in the mornings. Very nice to be riding in the early AM!

I'm considering joining the Motorcycle Traveling Network. I may want to have an alternative to camping for a night here and there maybe. Has anyone used this networK? How was it?

Anyways, that's the latest,

Doug

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
If you wind up down around San Diego/MCAS Miramar let me know I might be able to hook you up with a free bed.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My Curernt Trip Plans...

My current trip plans;

Aug 24-25, ride down to Tehachapi, stopping to camp in Snow Canyon by St. George, Ut.
Aug 26, Monday, 400+ mile ride in Mountains North-West of Tehachapi, CA. Staying at Hotel.
Aug 27-30, Work on Site. I was responsible for the drawing package (over 200 drawings) for the wind tower, and did some of the 3D CADD modeling.
Aug 31, Sat., 400+ mile, roundabout route taking advantage of 2 lane motorcycle (MC) roads to Venura, stay at hotel.
Sept. 1, Sun., up Calif. Coast (highway 1) and over to Modesto (hopefully stay with friends).
Sept. 2, Mon. (Labor Day), Ride near Bay Area? (hopefully stay with friends).
Sept. 3, Tues., Continue up Cal. Coast, highway 1. Camp.
Sept. 4, Wed., Ride Inland to Mt. Lassen? Volcanic National Park along TWISTY 140 miles, back to coast through Redding and along parallel TWISTY 140 mile road. Camp.
Sept. 5, Thurs., Ride Inland to Crater Lake, and the back to the Coast. Camp.
Sept. 6, Fri., Ride East/North-East across Oregon to John Day Town area, camp.
Sept. 7, Sat., Ride East/North-East, catch South-Eastern corner of Washington, East across Idaho, to Missoula, MT. Hotel.
Sept. 8, Sun., Ride to Cor' De Lane, Idaho and back to Missoula. Hotel.
Sept. 9, Mon., Ride to Cody, Wyoming. Hotel (charge GoPro, etc.)? Camp?
Sept. 10, Tues., Ride through Yellowstone, Tetons, South, and then West to Lava Hot Springs, Id. Camp
Sept. 11, Wed., Ride back eastward & then continue South to Bear Lake, and then Home (Orem, Ut.) via; South of Bear Lake in the mountains, passing several lakes/bodies of water, coming out on I-80 East, past Park City, through Heber, Provo Canyon.

14 days of riding, usually 400-440 miles a day with a couple of longer days thrown in. The only major super slab time anticipated; Orem to Beaver, Ut., St. George, Ut. to Tehachapi, otherwise, mostly 2-lane motorcycle roads.

Doug

·
Registered
14,473 Posts
I forgot to mention...While In Tehachippi, there is a famous train loop just west of town for RR buffs. Then take a few hours and go north to Lake Isabella on the Caliente/Bodfish road. You like tight twisty MC roads, you'll love this. Bugger the Dragon, we got this road. Pay attention to the road, the Drop Offs could kill you!

I stayed north of Ft Bragg at a KOA. It was a dump and cost $40. That is about what you pay to camp along the coast anyway. There are other places, like State Parks near.
If you are going to Jellystone, consider going out east and over the Bear Tooth Pass. Really cool!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Watch out for sand in the corners too. I was up on Bodfish with a group of stroms last weekend and two of us had a low speed low side towards the end where it really gets narrow.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
453 Posts
When you get to Central Oregon around September 5th-6th.... We're in Bend.... give a shout, Mer & I are always good for a nights lodging. Just road through the John Day Fossil Beds area this past Sunday... hwy 26

1 - 20 of 50 Posts