StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Some-What Local Strommers,

I have noticed there have been quite a few posts lately for interest in some So-Cal riding. I was not able to make that last Big Bear trip that some of you went on, so wanted to get something going again since I missed the boat.

Bee-Strom (I believe in Yucaipa) is up for a run through Joshua Tree on Sunday 12/6. The plan is to take Old Dale Road (dirt) as far as we feel comfortable. Neither one of us have a lot of dirt experience, so in other words, take it until there is a need to turn around and get back on pavement I guess.

I am not sure how long the ride through the park will be, but figured I might shoot over to Pionertown afterwards if time permits. I just wanted to throw out the invitation in case anyone else might be interested.

Jim

·
Registered
33 Posts
joshua tree

thinking of camping at cottonwood campground on saturday, shoot me a message as time gets nearer and maybe you can pick up my group on the way through on sunday. Thnx.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Where do you guys plan on starting from? I'm in Pasadena. The park entrance is about 145 miles from me. That's a trip in it self. But I have been wanting to do Joshua Tree.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Joshu Tree 12/6 - South Entrance?

I believe the South Entrance would be how we would enter the park. Follow that to Old Dale Road (dirt) in a northernly direction, until we hit Gold Crown Road (more dirt). Looks like Gold Crown Road intersects Hwy 62, and from there it would be a paved ride to Pioneer Town and eventually home.

According to the park's site the south entrance is at Cottonwood Spring, which lies 25 miles east of Indio via Interstate 10.

I don't think this should be a difficult ride. I found a video of the route online. The narration is cheesy and they show one section that may be tricky. But I don't think it'll pose much of a problem. However, I will be putting my 15 tooth countershaft sprocket back on for this ride.

http://www.desertusa.com/video_pages/dale-rd_movie.html

You can find maps here:

http://www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisit/maps.htm

I guess the actual meeting place for the ride will probably be determined by who all is interested in going.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where do you guys plan on starting from? I'm in Pasadena. The park entrance is about 145 miles from me. That's a trip in it self. But I have been wanting to do Joshua Tree.
Yes, 145 miles is a long haul. It's about an hour for me to the entrance. I am good for about 4 hours on a stock Strom seat. Hoping to get though the park and the round trip before I start feeling the effects of the seat.

I guess the actual meeting place for the ride will probably be determined by who all is interested in going.

Any thoughts?
I was not sure where to meet. I think you are correct on the starting point though. I think it's called Cottonwood. Will look at a map as it gets closer.

looks like fun to bad you're going on a Sunday.
Yes, Sundays are kind of tough for me during football season, but I have to get off the couch once in a while. Maybe a Saturday ride could get organized again down the road.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
be careful...

If the sand in P'town is anything like it was 25 years ago, it is DEEP and soft!

I lived in Y'Valley a loooong time ago...

I don't know how the roads are anymore, but I'd love to go the back way to Big Bear through one of the canyons like when I was a kid!

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the sand in P'town is anything like it was 25 years ago, it is DEEP and soft!

I lived in Y'Valley a loooong time ago...

I don't know how the roads are anymore, but I'd love to go the back way to Big Bear through one of the canyons like when I was a kid!
Thanks for the warning!

I think the photo below might be what you are referring too, to get to Big Bear from Pioneertown. This is a photo of Burns canyon taken last month. There was a group ride out there, but I was alone coming in from the opposite direction of the group. I did not feel comfortable and headed back, but would like to go from Pioneertown to Fawnskin soon. I think it can be done.

I have done roads such as the one below off Old Woman Springs Road called Ghost in JV. It doesn't look like a lot of sand, but I definitely felt it on the Strom. Had to go fairly slow. Old Dale Road in Joshua Tree looks pretty similar, so hoping it is not much worse.

Jim

·
Registered
30 Posts
would like to go from Pioneertown to Fawnskin soon. I think it can be done.
That's definitely something I'd like to do as well. The weather might dictate how soon that can be done though. Maybe early spring when there is more moisture in the dirt would help with the sand. On the other hand, melting snow has a way of forming ruts.

I took my wee-strom around Lake Silverwood last fall. There were some sandy sections on that trail. But I was surprised at how well the bike did. The stock Bridgestones were okay as long as you were upright. They didn't have any side bite like a good knobby does.

I put some Shinko 705s on last month. I'm hoping they'll help with that issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Who's planning on going?

Just wanted to find out who is set on going for the ride through Joshua Tree this coming Sunday? That way we can decide a meeting time and place for the ride.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am still good here! I think I am looking at an hour to and hour and a half to get to the Cottonwood entrance off the 10 freeway after looking at Mapsource last night.

Would 10:00 am be too late for you? That would have me leaving at 8:00 and time to make one stop along the way for gas, rest and airing down tires.

Only thing I am watching now is weather. Hoping the next storm arrives Monday as forecasted.

Jim

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
make sure on of y'alls post pics so i can see what i missed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
10 am Sunday 12/6

I think I am looking at an hour to and hour and a half to get to the Cottonwood entrance off the 10 freeway after looking at Mapsource last night.

Jim
How are you planning on getting from the Temecula area to the South Entrance? I can only envision three ways.

A) North 215 to the 10 East

B) Highway 79 to the 10 East

C) Some winding rural routes

Which ever way you choose we could meet along the 10 east before the South Entrance. I really only have one option for getting there.

Or if you prefer just to meet at the entrance to the park, that's fine too. 10 am will work considering there is a good amount of riding just to get to Joshua Tree.

Let's keep our eyes on the weather and our fingers crossed.

Jeremy

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How are you planning on getting from the Temecula area to the South Entrance? I can only envision three ways.

A) North 215 to the 10 East

B) Highway 79 to the 10 East

C) Some winding rural routes

Which ever way you choose we could meet along the 10 east before the South Entrance. I really only have one option for getting there.

Or if you prefer just to meet at the entrance to the park, that's fine too. 10 am will work considering there is a good amount of riding just to get to Joshua Tree.

Let's keep our eyes on the weather and our fingers crossed.

Jeremy
Jeremy,

I typically go through the wineries in Temecula through Hemet and connect to the 10 in Beumont when I head up that way. This time I was considering taking the road that gets kind of winding and ends up around La Quinta and getting on the 10 (I think that's your option C). I hate really winding roads, so thinking connection in Beaumont is the route I will take knowing it is fairly straight (I think that's your option B). Will flip a coin later this week.

Agreed on watching the weather. I do not have real rain gear yet and actually never ride in wet conditions. The only rain I ever have hit is coming back from Julian when some of those summer monsoon conditions hit me with those quick type downpours that I really couldn't see coming.

Lastly, I am debating putting on my smaller windscreen. The last time I was up around Cabazon, I experienced the worst cross winds ever. I have been through there many times without much problem. I am really thinking the large windscreen added to the problem...but that's another thread for another day.

I think meeting at the gate might be easiest. Will check back later in the week.

Jim

·
Registered
33 Posts
joshua tree

I plan on being at the south entrance to the park at 10 am, you will have to pass the info center to buy a day pass and that is where I will be waiting, let me know if you want us there at a different time. Tom

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I plan on being at the south entrance to the park at 10 am, you will have to pass the info center to buy a day pass and that is where I will be waiting, let me know if you want us there at a different time. Tom
Sounds good. The info center sounds like a good place to meet. I have never been there, but looks easy enough to find on the map.
Jim

·
Registered
33 Posts
joshua tree

The entrance to joshua tree from I10 is kind of deceptive, when you exit the 10 and turn left you will see a sign that says park entrance 1 mile, but it is actually about 5 miles in before you see the official entrance and the visitors center, I think it was $5 for a day pass for a bike, we have decided not to camp in the park but will meet you at the visitors center at 10 am give or take a half hour, we'll wait. desertdog

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the tip on the entrance issue. I printed out a map, so should be good.

I will not be camping in the park either. Not sure if I will be regretting that choice, as I think I under estimated the round trip saddle time. Still on a stock seat. I have a feeling I will be feeling it by the time I get home. But that's fine as my bike has been parked for over a month without any rides.

Jim

·
Registered
33 Posts
joshua tree

Joshua tree is huge, when we were there we rode from top to bottom 2x in the same day and we were beat, windy roads and slow speed limits, we did some off roading but it was pretty much flat track. desertdog

1 - 20 of 36 Posts