StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone ever buy a new bike because of the colour. Really liking the yellow on the the '17-'18 models. My bike still has low enough kms to get a good trade in. Just fantasizing tho.
Am assuming the new ABS would be a good feature altho there's nothing wrong with the old one. I've had ABS kick in on hard corner braking and I'm still here. Other thing is the spoked wheels and the choice for the cheaper cast wheels. A lot of my bikes have had spoked wheels mainly because I came from the 60s and 70s era but also because of the standard on the KLR and F800GS. I do remember the big 'to do' about spoked wheel with the nay sayers spouting the disadvantages of cast on dirt. I went with cast for the money savings and ease of maintenance. And my V2 has been on the dirt a lot in the last couple of years with no bad effects. I don't do the Baha and am not prone to hard knocks so it's just fine for me.
As my exhaust and fuelling is totally modded for power my purchase would depend on total transference of all that stuff. Am assuming that nothing has changed in the engine / exhaust config? And whoever bought my bike would get a practically unused exhaust and flapper. I guess I would throw in the Oxford heated grip system as they would just be too hard to get off. Replacement for those is not a real big deal anyway.
So it's all just winter dreamin but I sure do like that yellow.:laugh2:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Never bought a bike based on color, only price. Somehow though, the vast majority of my bikes have ended up being red.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Somehow though, the vast majority of my bikes have ended up being red.

Funny, when I brought my 650 home a few months ago I parked it in the garage. As I looked at my red Goldwing and red Yamaha Raider, I commented "hmmm I didn't realize how much I liked red".

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I have always wanted a yellow bike (I think it stems from as a kid I had a XR75 but I wanted the YZ80)

My bride keeps saying why don't you just buy a yellow bike and my reply is what would I want for then ???

Reactions: wingstrom

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Probably cheaper and easier to just have the tank and rear spring painted or wrapped. I noticed the new bike had a black spring and black forks, although the surface of the forks feels the same as the gold colored ones.

I kind of prefer the gold forks over the black.

The spoked wheels would not be cheap to swap out though, still with the money you lost selling used, and the extra you pay buying new, it may work out cheaper to just buy new spoked wheels, assuming they would fit the M4/5/6.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I definitely did not buy my 2015XT for the color (gray only). I would have loved to have gotten one in red.

·
Registered
15,623 Posts
Spray cans! I bought a ZR7S Kawasaki because of the yellow color. My '89GS was yellow/black and I painted my R65LS yellow to match a helmet I bought.
Recently made my 04 Wee tan with Rustoleum
Color-rite makes good cans of paint too.
From a distance the rattle can color looks as good as factory. You can have what you want.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I painted my V2 with Plasti Dip, more for paint protection but it is quick, easy and reversible.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
I get the color thing. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but I too love the yellow. I have a red '14 Vee2, and would hesitate trading it is just yet, as Suzuki may come out with bigger changes to this Vstrom in a couple of years. Might be a little crazy to trade in your Vee2, only to find major changes within two years of your purchase. I say two years as that would make about 6 years from the release of the Vee2. Just my way of looking at it.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
First real bike was red Honda Hawk and 50 years later still adore Honda red....just love the colour of my CBF.

Had a 23 year old ST1100 in Australia and that lovely red was still glorious,

Bought the first Wee without thinking about colour ....had the right goodies...but the all black always seemed busy....nothing to break it up tho with the agressive tread there was an industrial appeal.

sold it - missed it and couldn't resist the white - liked the look and the deal.

Had the "twins" for a while

Then sold the Burgman and wanted a thrill machine. Never heard of a CBF1000

I was finally back to the red Honda I'd wanted for years, looks, thrills and light. >:)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I get the color thing. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but I too love the yellow. I have a red '14 Vee2, and would hesitate trading it is just yet, as Suzuki may come out with bigger changes to this Vstrom in a couple of years. Might be a little crazy to trade in your Vee2, only to find major changes within two years of your purchase. I say two years as that would make about 6 years from the release of the Vee2. Just my way of looking at it.
Think your misreadin me, Chero. This is all just a pipe dream. I did buy my 2014 in the tan cause I love the colour but it is mos def a keeper till I can't ride it any more. Which might not be too many more years as the arthritis creeps up. My fallback is a TW200 hanging from the back of my jeep.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I had a 2009 CBF 1000 ...what an engine!
See you up at Belfountain in the spring, Macdoc.
Maybe, Marty will have washed his bike by then...or not...>:)

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
Yeah ...got a quick ride up last weekend on the Wee to kick off 2017 but off to Australia on Monday for riding in the heat and humidity.
For sure see you in May ....always a few Stroms up there.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yeah ...got a quick ride up last weekend on the Wee to kick off 2017 but off to Australia on Monday for riding in the heat and humidity.
For sure see you in May ....always a few Stroms up there.
I do much of my tour riding around the Snowy Mountains - thought of working your way down bit by bit (yes, it's a long way but you're Canadian :wink2:) to where the roads are great, the temperatures 25C and dry instead of 35-38C and humid?

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
My sister-in-law is in Brisbane and every time I go I lust for a machine...maybe will rent something worthy of the curves. There is one one way called Goat Track that is paved and looks hilarious.

The KLR is no canyon carver ( best understatement of 2017 ) tho negotiating the Rex or the Gillies ( 19 km 210 curves ) on 606s with the ridiculous excuse for brakes the KLR sports is its own form of "thrill".

I've simply seen very little outside the cities of Southern Australia. :( Cairns is actually decent but you use up the pavement quickly tho there are an infinity of dirt roads and single track ( not doing those at my age ).

I had a week planned starting in Brisbane and going west and south in a big loop but nver panned out....Need to get that in while joints still function.

Well now look what you've started....don't think I can make Snowy trip work but ......

Since I have a sister - in - law in Brisbane and can't see enduring the the KLR for the 3200 KM round trip Cairns to Brisbane and back have decided to rent one way :D

https://www.bikeroundoz.com/motorcycle_rentals_australia_outback_ready.asp

https://goo.gl/maps/BC7KvGhRWwB2

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Walked in a suzuki dealership to see the other colors, noticed the khaki, it took me all the poker face i had at the time to tell the guy that <if> the price was right, i could see myself getting used to that one with time.

I do admit the bronze one made me have some doubts, though.

I'm so glad the 2018 looks the way it does, no regrets :)

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
This I think..tho that is really khaki ....so I dunno

sort of bronzy orange ...I like it actually

1 - 18 of 18 Posts