StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a seam that runs along the top of the instrument panel, where the plastic that forms the "dashboard" and fork/handlebar opening trim meets the front cowling. It's right behind the windscreen.

Mine is opening up. The gap was minor at first, but now there's a gap big enough to push a card through. Cosmetically it's not good, but I'm more concerned about excessive amounts of water getting in to the backside of the guages. I'd like to get it tight again.

The only connection I can see for that plastic is the two snap 'n pops at the tips of the cowling, on the "inside." Can the panels be moved around in relation to each other if I dismantle the cowling, or is it just a symptom of the plastic giving way to 4 years of heat?

Thanks!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
There are also two plastic spear into rubber grommet connections inside. #14 shows a grommet. It's like the connection of the side cowlings to the parts directly above them. Your parts are probably warped.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I can't imagine a good remedy for warpage other than replacement.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I had the same thing thing happen to my dash after installing the Givi windshield. I made a dash shelf and installed it.It hides the crack and gives me a place to mount my video cam.
If you replace the dash it may just happen again.
What do you have for a windshield? Apparently the Givi shield can cause the dash to melt if the sun hits it just right from the back side.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Redneck Remedy

I have the same problem. I know it's not the best remedy, but I used black electrical tape and covered the gap. I know the screen prevents most moisture from coming in, but I'm hoping the tape will protect it when the wind is blowing the rain in from the back of the bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts