StromTrooper banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Great job on SVstrom. I did the same swap, but the wiring I did was much easier as my strom was an 04' with 32 bit wiring and the engine was an 07'. If you get a ride on a stock 02 you will really appreciate what you have accomplished. Good job 👏

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Thanks but, I'm not due much credit. Like the janitor at the sisteen chapel. Weldon deserves all credit for the build. It has been a learning process for me and a fun project with big rewards. His documentation of the whole deal has really made it possible for the likes of me to play CSI and have a dig at the archaeological site.

Reactions: Charlie1982

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm curious as to what the differences are between an SV motor and the DL to make a total swap desirable?

If it's cams and valves maybe it would be easier to swap the heads over to achieve the same result?

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
10,107 Posts
I'm curious as to what the differences are between an SV motor and the DL to make a total swap desirable?

If it's cams and valves maybe it would be easier to swap the heads over to achieve the same result?

·
Registered
157 Posts
That thread is talking about 650's - I'd be interested to know the differences in the 1000's? I know Suzuki traditionally keep a lot of engine components the same across many models (think old GS / GSX stuff which is endlessly Frankenstein-able), so I'm guessing cams and maybe valves are different / interchangeable between the two?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·

The whole deal is documented on the other site. In my pouring over it, I remember the question of a top end replace vs whole swap indeed came up. I'm not precisely sure why the ultimate decision was made but expense was one...top end was just as or more expensive and adding the gearing differences I believe put it over the top.
If you wanna look further here is a good place to start:

05 SV Mill into 02 Vee

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
The 07' SV I used put out 108 RWHP & 90 FT
LBS of torque with an opened up airbox and handmade equal length exhaust single exhaust. Sorry I sold that bike
90 ft/lbs is a big jump up. You think it was the way you added air front or out the exhaust, or just native to the motor?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
The 07' SV I used put out 108 RWHP & 90 FT
LBS of torque with an opened up airbox and handmade equal length exhaust single exhaust. Sorry I sold that bike
I'm interested in seeing a photo of that exhaust.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I recently got my K5 SV1000S back on the road (more or less, still have one weeping fork leg) and boy, I have a serious love/hate relationship with it. Brutal to ride in a city with extremely poorly maintained roads, but as soon as I am out in the hilly twisties, oof, hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

In no particular order and an incomplete list, lighter rotating assembly, close ratio transmission, heads & cams, pistons & rods. My K7 makes peak HP at 10,000. I would not be confident the DL would survive there.

·
Registered
2012 V-strom 677 ABS
3,083 Posts
DL has much smaller throttle bodies too. Like 46 mm vs 52 & 54 mm on the big SV.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Has anyone played around with a throttle body swap on the DL? I feel between the TL, SV, DL allot of stuff should be direct bolt on.

DL 46mm
TLR 52mm
SVS 54mm

SV throttle bodies can be had all day for $75 on eBay, I’m shocked that there isn’t more people making the swap and doing some mapping, seems likely to be one of the cheapest power adders available. Something to consider.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
The linkages are reversed on theSV throttle bodies...not sure how much it complicates a DL swap. I don't think the SV airbox has any chance of fitting in a DL either. Weldon modified the DL airbox and drilled 4 3/4" holes for added air, Kelrich opened up the air as well but I don't know how much. Seems mine could use more air.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts