StromTrooper banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I'm not a 100%sure which it is yet..has the dl sending unit and the 3 nutted connections on flange though. Not sure there is any difference besides sending unit type. Thanks so much for pointing directly at the resources I need. Waiting on parts to make any more progress.
Any part numbers stamped on the fuel pump by any chance?

Can't help you with the Power Commander. The only thing I know is that it sits between the ECU and the injectors, increasing the amount of fuel injected at certain power/RPM combinations. On a stock DL1000 the engine should run OK to OKisn (depending on who you ask) without a PC so a normal first troubleshooting step would be to deactivate the PC and take it from there. But in your case, do you know what sort of ECU you have? DL or SV?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Any part numbers stamped on the fuel pump by any chance?

Can't help you with the Power Commander. The only thing I know is that it sits between the ECU and the injectors, increasing the amount of fuel injected at certain power/RPM combinations. On a stock DL1000 the engine should run OK to OKisn (depending on who you ask) without a PC so a normal first troubleshooting step would be to deactivate the PC and take it from there. But in your case, do you know what sort of ECU you have? DL or SV?
As of yet I'm unable to make a definitive distinction. I am however getting better at kicking myself.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think you need out figure out which ECM you have. If I remember right the 02 bike was a 16 bit, while all SV's were 32 bit. You should be able to track part numbers and figure out if he switched to the newer bikes 32 bit. My DL was an 04 with 32 bit, so I used all SV electrics. The origional fuel pump was used and with the PC made 106 RWHP. It was a blast to ride, and 8 years later I still kick myself for letting it go. Too soon old, too late smart. 😪

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I think you need out figure out which ECM you have. If I remember right the 02 bike was a 16 bit, while all SV's were 32 bit. You should be able to track part numbers and figure out if he switched to the newer bikes 32 bit. My DL was an 04 with 32 bit, so I used all SV electrics. The origional fuel pump was used and with the PC made 106 RWHP. It was a blast to ride, and 8 years later I still kick myself for letting it go. Too soon old, too late smart. 😪
I'm beginning to think I'm gonna need to part this thing out...any interest?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
DEFINITELY HAS THE sv 32 BIT ECM. Gert Hooked me up with the other sites build thread. It answered a lot.

Also:

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So I got the fuel system all cleaned out and performed an external filter bypass mod and all seems well. It must have been suffering partial cloggage before I ever got on it. Full flow now lets me know it's a significant sleeper. Hafta be pretty careful to keep the front wheel down. I stripped down the electrics but have yet to discover if that took care of idle power drain. Looking forward to some new tires and some side cases to be nearly good and geared ready to go through a few tanks of fuel. cheers. Also will be looking for crash bars and skid plate on the used market. cheers again.

·
Registered
2006 DL1000
963 Posts
I like all the color changes from black to silver on that bike (looking at the pictures on the thread @Gert linked). If I had the time and spare cash, I think my red 2006 would look great with stuff redone like that. Hmmm...🤔🧐👍🏽😎

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I'm so new to this I don't necessarily see all that is unique about the bike. I'm starting to see that it is nice in multiple ways and after I get over the 'once bitten' bitterness of having been stranded by it on my first ride, I think I'm gonna end up liking it. It came with 3 extra seats, none have any tags so I have no idea exactly what they are. I'm not a big guy so I put on the slimmest and definitely like it better than the others. The nicest quality one was on the bike when I bought it, but really doesn't suit me. I'll take some photos of them all and maybe y'all can help me figure out exactly what they are. They're up for grabs.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
9,763 Posts
Please do not post anything for sale on this thread.
We have needed to put restrictions on the Classifieds node to protect members from scammers and spammers. You are obviously not one of those but the rules are:
  • You must post 10 times before being able to PM.
  • You must post 10 times before being able to post in the classifieds section.
  • You must be a member for 20 days before being able to post in the classifieds section.
If you wish to post there before the 20 day exclusion please let me know and I will open it up to you.

Reactions: D.T.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Please do not post anything for sale on this thread.
We have needed to put restrictions on the Classifieds node to protect members from scammers and spammers. You are obviously not one of those but the rules are:
  • You must post 10 times before being able to PM.
  • You must post 10 times before being able to post in the classifieds section.
  • You must be a member for 20 days before being able to post in the classifieds section.
If you wish to post there before the 20 day exclusion please let me know and I will open it up to you.
No Worries. More interested in help with potential ID.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Little update: This bike is a helluva lot of fun but not exactly inexpensive to ride. I've put 6k miles on with 2 long hot heavy trips to the Mecca riding in Southern Appalachia. Went through a Shinko 705 in less than 5k...just put on a Road 5 Trail to compare it with. And if anyone has definitive info on the technical differences between the road 5 and the road 5 trail I'm all ears. Only getting 30 mpg and thats around town light and cross country hilly and heavy. Best thing about it is the suspension I think with the wilbers and the Axxion ak-20. Could prolly definitely do with lighter spring up front for light riding but loaded heavy is perfect just capable of a lot more weight handling. Gravel riding has to be cautious. My trips have been about 2000 miles each but include about 250 miles each way of straight slog making time getting there riding. The very hot 90 degree plus temps are probably a great contributor to my short lived 705 rear. High speed buffeting keeps me mostly off the freeways and I'll need to improve that with either a madstad set up or laminar lip and ears or something I'm open to suggestions but I DO NOT want to hafta look through a windscreen all the time. I'm interesteed in riding other v stroms to compare.

PhotoReflect.com | Powerhead Productions - killboy.com - Dragon Photos - Wed - Sept. 15, 2021 -killboy.com

https://xtremesportsphotography.photoreflect.com/store/orderpage.aspx?pi=0QAK046H0A0912&po=911&pc=1298/orderpage.aspx?pi=0QAK046H0A0912&po=911&pc=1298

PhotoReflect.com | Xtreme Sports Photography - DRAGON Photos - Oct 13th, 2021 Wed

·
Premium Member
19,029 Posts
That's good mileage for a 705.......in particular on that bike, I couldn't get much better on my previous 650.

Reactions: truex14

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
That's good mileage for a 705.......in particular on that bike, I couldn't get much better on my previous 650.
Well, I hope to get more than that on my new sticky michelins. Seems like a tire every 3 months is...a lot.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
I found this post on an SV forum and laughed and laughed...

I need horsepower between 4000 and 7000 rpm, so that's why I get litrebikes. I purchased an SV1000S shortly after posting the above. Been riding it for 6 years. Best bike I ever owned, actually it wasn't complete when I bought it new. Yoshimura and Heli-Bar made it complete. The SV1000S is quite different from the TL. The DL is like a wife who is faithful, and a good cook, intelligent and fun to talk to. The SV with Yosh pipes is like a wife who is faithful, and a good cook, intelligent and fun to talk to, with a supermodel face and a great body, and good in bed. By contrast, the TL is like a coke-jacked latex-wearing hooker with a knife in her boot. Time of your life, but...

21 - 40 of 53 Posts