StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I've purchased John Weldons DL1000 with SV 1000 engine. Any members familiar with this build please muster and make yourselves known. I'm in the process of going through electrics and by gum I need help. Thanks in advance. Currently trying to figure out a current draw while parked. Scorpio alarm system looking suspicious.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
I am thinking Bill Clellen is familar with John's bike.........or John's son who inherited the bike.......or something like that?? Bill bought his own Vstrom back in 2002 and was one of the original "12 Deciples" that attended the very first SE Vstrom Rally/Gathering. Anyway......he may be able to help some.......but he never gets on stromtrooper. If you need to contact him, go thru "Prowler" here on the forum (see Events.....Eastern Vstrom Rally........Prowler posts are there). Good luck...........
1004.jpg

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Are you not by any chance turning the ignition key past the 'lock" to "park" position, when locking the steering as discussed in It happened again ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am thinking Bill Clellen is familar with John's bike.........or John's son who inherited the bike.......or something like that?? Bill bought his own Vstrom back in 2002 and was one of the original "12 Deciples" that attended the very first SE Vstrom Rally/Gathering. Anyway......he may be able to help some.......but he never gets on stromtrooper. If you need to contact him, go thru "Prowler" here on the forum (see Events.....Eastern Vstrom Rally........Prowler posts are there). Good luck........... View attachment 289152
Welcome to the Forum. Are you not by any chance turning the ignition key past the 'lock" to "park" position, when locking the steering as discussed in It happened again ?
No. The bike lights up like a christmas tree when I locked it over and key all way counter clockwise. This is
'Park" position? I found it curious, but went one click clockwise and removed key. Wha t model Scorpion do you suspect and where does it tap power? Do you suppose he would use the generic wiring option or model specific wiring harness clip in? I found the head unit tucked on a shelf under the bezels next to a Valentine I by accessing his photo library on the other site particular photo dated may 2007 I believe. The other site has not responded to my registration request and it takes multiple tens of seconds to go picture to picture which is a bit frustrating. Thanks for Responding!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure I deserve a reprimanding for jumping on this machine and riding after 8 years of practically sitting idle although I thought it had been "maintenance ridden" because now I'm in some trouble, bike stranded me lurch miss surging thought it was fuel delivery stuff in tank needs pulled cleaned etc. In the process now opened airbox to find oily crumbles of something decicided was oil vapor coalescer filter spone degraded rotten not sure how much fed into intake not sure what to do.

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
I'm sure I deserve a reprimanding for jumping on this machine and riding after 8 years of practically sitting idle although I thought it had been "maintenance ridden" because now I'm in some trouble, bike stranded me lurch miss surging thought it was fuel delivery stuff in tank needs pulled cleaned etc. In the process now opened airbox to find oily crumbles of something decicided was oil vapor coalescer filter spone degraded rotten not sure how much fed into intake not sure what to do.
In addition to running some fuel system cleaner through it, changing the air filter and replacing the sponge, and flushing the brakes I'd be looking at the tires if it has been sitting for 8 years. I don't think I'd be too worried about bits of that sponge making it into the engine.

Reactions: truex14

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tank was stored near empty. Corrosion and gunk around filter nearly froze pump assembly into sump. How far is TOO FAR GONE to reuse a fuel pump assembly? I can't reuse filter plastic capture and rubber definitely too far gone. Any ideas about pressure regulator?

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
It sounds like you may have a few different complaints to attend to. At this stage, it doesn't sound like there would be a single quick fix cure for all that you have listed above or that they are related. As you know, fault finding is a process of elimination. It's best to tackle one fault at a time, then test after each change / adjustment / part replacement, to determine whether that change has made any difference / progress in solving that complaint.
As a start, I would suggest that you first follow the steps of advice in #6 above, before moving on to the next complaint. For us to try help you find a solution, you have to give us feedback on what steps you have done and if it was successful or not. Similar to your responce to the ignition park suggesstion.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,612 Posts
I was around when John was riding/working on this bike. It was not "bug free" even then. He was the first I know of to dive into the electrical differences required to make the swap. They are many, and not easy to just swap parts around to make it all work.
As to the mechanical stuff.....that is going to be just like any bike stored too long without care. I would be looking for a replacement fuel pump assembly. I would also replace ALL the fuel lines hoses inside and outside the tank with "fuel injection rated" fuel hose. Might be good to replace the coolant crossover hose between the throttle bodies too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OEM fuel pump assembly replacements up near a grand$$. I haven't scoured this site yet but presumably there are salvage parts available somewhere...gotta be. This really doesn't seem like the retail purchasing crowd.

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Reactions: truex14

·
Registered
551 Posts
Old GSXR600 & 750 pump assys interchange....somewhere around 05-07 as I remember. There usta be bunches of lo mile pumps listed on ebay....crashed bikes. I remember payin aboout $25 for em.
Jus swap out the sending unit for the Strom type. Everything else fits. We changed pumps on 2 bikes about 10 years back.
EDIT....I jus looked on ebay....WOW
$225 & up now!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Everything mechanical, like posted earlier, should be treated as with any bike that sat around for too long. Change all fluids & filters and take a good look at anything rubber: tires, hoses, gaskets and so forth. The fuel system might need the fuel filter bypass mod, injectors might need to be cleaned, fuel tank might need to be de-rusted. Grease and/or replace bearings. This thread might also help in locating the right info:

As far as the electrics is concerned, this is apparently a highly modified/customized bike and I assume you just got the bike but no modification documentation, right? I would start out by locating the wiring diagram for the original bike, and for the bike where the motor came from. Print these out on a huge sheet of paper, and start tracing where they intersect: Which parts are from the original bike and which came with the motor. Then also start mapping any extras that were added. That should give you a much clearer picture as to what's going on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I rinsed and acid bathed the tank yesterday. Pulled the pump assembly out and disassembled cleaned best I could carb cleaner. The cushion and plastic clip for the filter unsalvageable ordered those 2 parts from Babbitts $40 shipped quoting 10 days delivery...not the best case scenario. Feeling silly to see pump and associated parts I needed avail for $80 shipped. I think I'm a bit more worried about chum in the plastic assembly unit with all the ports and chambers. Ran the bike 50 miles or so never got any FI lights before chugging so currently of the assumption injectors not faulting.

I do have a bit of Weldons electric schematics and bits of this and that and an oem SV an oem DL and a Haynes service manual. I think there is a lot of info on the other site including photos but access right now isn't working for me...tried to register but never got a response...can access photos but very, very painstaking. If worse comes to worse ill just put a mains switch disconnect when parked. Most rubber looks good but just in the initial ispection stages. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well that is some terrific info!! RE: high pressure filter mod...I didn't see a description of it's trouble or failure other than reduced power at higher revs...I am wondering if it is possible my trouble is primarily from an extremely clogged pre filter in the sump...just wishing I suppose.[/URL][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
969 Posts
Only one way to find out. Assemble the tank and fuel pump, put fuel in it and perform the fuel flow test. There's a detailed description in the manual, but there's also a quick test where you cycle the ignition three times and measure fuel output (into a suitable container). You should get about 300-350ml.

Of course this assumes the DL fuel pump. If there's an SV setup in there, I have no idea.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Old GSXR600 & 750 pump assys interchange....somewhere around 05-07 as I remember. There usta be bunches of lo mile pumps listed on ebay....crashed bikes. I remember payin aboout $25 for em.
Jus swap out the sending unit for the Strom type. Everything else fits. We changed pumps on 2 bikes about 10 years back.
EDIT....I jus looked on ebay....WOW
$225 & up now!
With the edit I'm thinking of un-Liking this...I was of the impression this was a cheap bike to service,,,but I guess it's just me who is cheap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Only one way to find out. Assemble the tank and fuel pump, put fuel in it and perform the fuel flow test. There's a detailed description in the manual, but there's also a quick test where you cycle the ignition three times and measure fuel output (into a suitable container). You should get about 300-350ml.

Of course this assumes the DL fuel pump. If there's an SV setup in there, I have no idea.

I'm not a 100%sure which it is yet..has the dl sending unit and the 3 nutted connections on flange though. Not sure there is any difference besides sending unit type. Thanks so much for pointing directly at the resources I need. Waiting on parts to make any more progress. Here's a question: once the power commander is installed it just acts in tandem with the ecu doesn't it? I mean disconnecting from power supply doesn't require any extra boot sequence with the power commander, correct?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'm not a 100%sure which it is yet..has the dl sending unit and the 3 nutted connections on flange though. Not sure there is any difference besides sending unit type. Thanks so much for pointing directly at the resources I need. Waiting on parts to make any more progress. Here's a question: once the power commander is installed it just acts in tandem with the ecu doesn't it? I mean disconnecting from power supply doesn't require any extra boot sequence with the power commander, correct?
When we changed to GSXR pump assys in my 650...& a friends 1000...there was no difference in the way the bikes performed. Same fuel mileage too

1 - 20 of 29 Posts