StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My JR Phoenix jacket came with a rain liner. Is the dry tech liner they offer the same thing or is it more substantial/warmer? The one I have is just made of nylonish material with no insulation. It breaks the wind but doesn't really offer any warmth so I am looking for something that may be better for the winter. Thanks.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I bought the Dry-Tech liner by itself and it does have some very thin fleece-like material as lining. I love mine here in the Pacific NorthWet as it turns my mesh jacket into a 3-season jacket. Even in mid-summer, we can have some wide temp swings during the course of a day - especially if you factor in the mountain passes. The liner eliminates the need for carrying two jackets for an all-day ride.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
You might also consider a heated vest (widder, gerbing, aerostitch). These make a very big difference especially when a insulating layer is worn over them.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Now IF ONLY some one would create a defroster for the Helmet shield :rolleyes:
That would be great....

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies so far. I really am not going to go the heated vest route, oddly enough I don't plan on putting outlets on the bike to heat that kind of stuff. So far the regular liner as a windbreaker and a sweatshirt underneath has kept me moderately warm (down to about 36), but it will be getting colder and I don't think it will keep me warm enough past freezing. I am still waiting on my pants I ordered last month (tell me about it:rolleyes:) but after I get all that sorted out I should be set for the winter for the lower half of me.

As far as the defroster for the shield, I have had a respro foggy installed in my helmet for a few weeks now and it keeps the fog away, don't know if it would help with frost though, haven't really thought about that yet.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Bigtallguy, what pants did you order ??

·
Registered
539 Posts
FWIW, I think JR has 2 types or maybe an updated version of the Drytech liner.

I bought one and it has a thin fleece inner liner in it. A buddy of mine bought one and it did not. The 2 liners look a bit different as well. Mine has a weave pattern to the outside where his is smooth looking. Mine w/ the fleece is a bit warmer than his.

With a heavier fleece pull over under my JR Rio w/drytech I am OK down to the 40's but I grab my JR Ballistic most times its under 60 and its comfy down to 30's.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered the fieldsheer booster pants from MotoXOutlet. They sent me an e-mail saying it was back ordered and to expect it to ship around 10/27/06. Well no word or pants yet. I have sent them 2 e-mails asking about it and no reply. I have found another place with them in stock (confirmed) who actually e-mails me back, so I may call and cancel my order with motox and go with the other guys, that is if anybody will answer the phone :rolleyes:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Called MotoX and spoke with a friendly sales representative. He said they have the pants in stock and they will update my order and send me the pants. Why my order didn't update when they got them in is beyond me and I am slightly aggravated that I had to wait this long, but they are on the way now so all is good again. In the future, if I order from MotoX and need to contact them I will call first, definitely a better experience.

Back to the liner- I think I will keep using the sweatshirt under my current liner because it sounds like you don't get much more than that with the dry-tech liner anyway. If I find another, more insulated option I may consider it, but until then.... Thanks for the help.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,040 Posts
Took a 5600 mi trip to Ca. and the northwest last May and the riding gear I took was:

First Gear Mesh Tech jacket with a JR Drytech liner.
First Gear HT Air 2.0 overpants with liner, I ordered them one size smaller than I wear because I didn't wear anything under them.
Gerbings heated liner and gloves.

Went through snow in Oregon and freezing rain in Idaho with temps from 29-32 deg (91 in Nevada) and lots of rain everywhere. When 29/32 deg and snow/rain I had all the above on. The point is I could do all that with just the liners in the jacket and pants as long as I had the heated liner and gloves and I didn't have to carry the bulk of another jacket or sweatshirts. All I had to carry was three thin liners (one heated) and a pair of heated gloves for all weather conditions. I live in Indiana and have done the outwest thing every year for 20 yrs and this is the best setup I have found. My 2cents worth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts