StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a week long ride form Austin to Big Bend coming up next week, typically I just wear Aerostitch "Arborwear" or Duluth Fire Hose pants, but I have a pair of Joe Rocket Ballistic pants I'm going to wear. I don't know what version they are, plain black with one pocket on the left front thigh.

Wondering if anybody knows how waterproof these may be, weather looks good so far, if it rains and it's 50 degrees, I'd be pretty miserable if these pants soak thru. The nearest WalMart may be a couple hundred miles away.

Should I just pack Frogg Toggs and cover my bases?

·
Registered
759 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
I discovered , to my chagrin , that Joe Rocket gear is NOT waterproof . Nor is it water resistant , damp-proof , fog - proof , etc . It is a sponge .

Bring the frog toggs , though , and you'll be fine .

Alex

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe they'll be warm at least

Think they're better than fire hose pants?

I bought them pretty cheap off CL a couple years ago, but never really considered JR top shelf

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I don't have JR Ballistic pants, but I have been riding for about 7 seasons with a dated Meteor 4 Ballistic jacket. I sent it once to JR for repair and they told me they were sold as 100% "waterproof," with a little caveat that the claim was a little optimistic. But just a little. My experience with the jacket pretty much lined up with what the rep told me. I have never been anywhere near soaked through with my jacket, except for the one time I mention below. I would say the claim of waterproof was pretty accurate and again, based on my experience with it, would not disagree. My caveat is that I haven't ridden continuously all day, for several days in gully washer rain. I did ride the PNW one year and it was pretty rainy for most of the week and I stayed dry. In prep for that trip, I did spray the fabric with silicone though as the jacket is pretty old now. This fall was the first time the arms leaked through. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
My old ballistics were watertight once treated with Nikwax. My new JR Alter Egos, despite being billed as waterproof, are not. But I didn't buy them for that. I have serious wet-weather gear for the rain and cold - Gerbings.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
My JR pants were waterproof when i bought them. They then became water resistant, then sponge. I how use them and my Frogg Toggs

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like the forecast is for warmer weather, is it safe to wear shorts under this type of pants?

Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
664 Posts
Looks like the forecast is for warmer weather, is it safe to wear shorts under this type of pants?

Thanks for the feedback
Of course!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
My experience has been that most gear that claims to be waterproof, particularly at the lower end of the price scale, is not. Water resistant, maybe. Might keep you dry in a shower. Pants, especially, since you'll inevitably end up with water pooling in your lap, or sitting in a puddle, are difficult to make completely waterproof. And of course you don't want to find out that the gear you thought was waterproof isn't, halfway through a long, cold, wet day of riding - it's too late by then.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have found that only garments( hunting,riding, other outdoor gear) that are lined with gortex to be truly waterproof. You pay a pretty penny for that stuff but it does last a long time and usually comes with an excellent warranty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts