1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DL650 IBA Rider is down.

Excerpt from Day 5 report:
(http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2011/7.pdf

Jim Winterer is fine, but out of the rally. Lisa Landry received a call from an emergency medical technician on Thursday evening at the scene of the accident Jim was involved in. Jim’s bike went down on I-65 near Scottsburg, Indiana, when he locked up the front tire while making a panic stop to avoid hitting an 18-wheeler stopping rapidly in front of him. His gear is shredded, he has some facial lacerations, but there were no other injuries except for a few bruises.

Glad to hear he is ok.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
That's a shame. It sounds like he's in good spirits though.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Was he using an ABS model? Glad to hear he is OK. He placed fairly high the first time he used a Strom IIRC.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No ABS. Although he now says that he will never have another rally bike without ABS again...

·
Registered
522 Posts
I heard about that wreck, but didn't know it involved a IBA rider. Glad to hear he's ok and in good spirits.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I am glad to hear he wasn't injured any worse. He will be in my thoughts.

Although it might be taken wrong by some, this news offers me some personal solace. I have been beating myself up pretty bad after going down a week ago with a front wheel skid in the rain because of a panic stop. I had been thinking to myself that maybe I am getting old and slow enough that I am losing my riding skills (still might be true) and that maybe I should be thinking of hanging my helmet up and selling the bikes.

Has anyone heard? How is Jim Winterer doing?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I am glad to hear he wasn't injured any worse. He will be in my thoughts.

Although it might be taken wrong by some, this news offers me some personal solace. I have been beating myself up pretty bad after going down a week ago with a front wheel skid in the rain because of a panic stop. I had been thinking to myself that maybe I am getting old and slow enough that I am losing my riding skills (still might be true) and that maybe I should be thinking of hanging my helmet up and selling the bikes.
"No one is perfect" I heard that somewhere :green_lol:(about 1000 times) Beat yourself up for a while (perfectly normal.) And then get back on that bike, your going to be a long time dead. (old Irish saying) Seriously, I have only read a few of your posts and I can tell you are a careful person who does not take chances. Give yourself a break and let your careful attitude pay off.:thumbup:

·
Registered
600 Posts
"No one is perfect" I heard that somewhere :green_lol:(about 1000 times) Beat yourself up for a while (perfectly normal.) And then get back on that bike, your going to be a long time dead. (old Irish saying) Seriously, I have only read a few of your posts and I can tell you are a careful person who does not take chances. Give yourself a break and let your careful attitude pay off.:thumbup:
What he said.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Thanks guys.

I have the bike on the road again and have rode it. Not far (just in town) since the accident. Can't ride the Vstrom much yet because my shifting foot is still swollen and sore (hurts to shift). Took it out to ride yesterday though, came home and got my wife's scooter out and rode it the rest of the day. Motorcycles are fun to ride. I don't care what kind of motorcycle, they are all fun. I will get over the accident fairly soon. Will be a little more cautious on wet pavement (I hope) in the future.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Gettin' bettah

Seriously, I have only read a few of your posts and I can tell you are a careful person who does not take chances. Give yourself a break and let your careful attitude pay off.:thumbup:
Doug, I'll just say "x2" for what Honest Bob wrote. Your swelling will diminish, just not as soon as you wish. Summer mornings will beckon. Don't hang up your hat yet, young man.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks guys.

I have the bike on the road again and have rode it. Not far (just in town) since the accident. Can't ride the Vstrom much yet because my shifting foot is still swollen and sore (hurts to shift). Took it out to ride yesterday though, came home and got my wife's scooter out and rode it the rest of the day. Motorcycles are fun to ride. I don't care what kind of motorcycle, they are all fun. I will get over the accident fairly soon. Will be a little more cautious on wet pavement (I hope) in the future.
Just take it slow and easy, or not. Take it slowly and you will be back to where you were except for a wee bit wiser soon enough.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This newbie loves his ABS. Saved me once already (sand), enough to convince me. Now if it would keep me from falling over in parking lots. . .

·
Registered
313 Posts
Doug don't quit now man.After numerous close calls culminating in being forced off the road back in 92 I quit for 12 yrs.At the time I was still raising my kids and figured they needed me around.I continued to ride off road where I figured my fate was in my own hands.
I started riding again in 04 and I enjoy riding now more than ever. I very much regret the years I missed.12 years of riding I will never get back.
Life is short brother.Live it to the fullest.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts