StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting my first set of panniers and I think I've narrowed it down to either the Jesse system or the Trax system.

I like that the Jesse system is movable depending on if I have a passenger or not. They also seem very well made as I saw the pictures of another member wreck at about 40MPH w/ them on and they were only a little scratched.

I don't like how I would have to drill holes in them to mount the brackets for securing straps to. I like how the Trax boxes have this integrated into the lid.

Another concern of mine is all the rivet points in the Trax system. I'm just wondering if this would allow leaking to occur. I did see one members review how his Trax boxes leaked, but the mfr did take care of him.

The Jesse system is easily removed, right?

If anyone has any pics of the inside of either of the above systems, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have the Jesse cases on my 1000. Sorry no pics, but highly recommend them. I drilled the lids to install lid loops and had no leaks. Just make sure you get the right lid loops with the right hardware. Looks great on the bike, holds a ton of stuff. You can even put stuff in the lids as they come with a good wire retainer that hold everything in the lids,nothing falls out. Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Happy Trails

Have you considered cases from Happy Trails ?
/http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn292/windtogo/?action=view&current=DSCN3886crop.jpg

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you considered cases from Happy Trails ?
/http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn292/windtogo/?action=view&current=DSCN3886crop.jpg
Awhile ago I looked at them, but not lately. Thanks for throwing in another wrench :) Almost like I'm back to square one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
TRAX luggage owner

I own the TRAX luggage system. I have owned the top box, and side boxes (mixed sizes, due to dl650 single sided muffler) for about 9 months now. A few points, as I look at them tonight.

I would go with the Jesse system if you are serious about carrying much. I use these cases every single week to bring back food from Costco, and as much as I can haul from IKEA. I live in two locations and use a motorcycle exclusively for transportation, rain, shine and winter. I am far from abusive in my treatment of these items. Sure, the weight I put in them may be a bit more than a jacket and clothes, but I need real panniers, not a show piece of some sort of global conquest.

I do not feel that the rivoting is a concern at all. The rivoting shows absolutely no sign of wear and things seem tight (but again, it has been 9 months of easy treatment). The side mounting mechanism of the pannier itself, a notched rail if you will, does show signs of wear. The wear seems a bit much for non-off-road conditions I regularly travel. The rail seems to be made out of thick aluminum. The aluminum is a little bent on one of the rails and is showing wear that I think is just too much for city type conditions. The aluminum on the rail that slides into the wheel-like notches on the rack worries me a bit for long term wear. Your usage may vary, but I think the Jesse system is the way to go. I guarantee you the TRAX panniers will not walk away from a 40mph wreck intact. There may be a price point though that makes the TRAX a good deal. They do look great, not good, but great. They are also easy to unlock and remove entirely. I do this all of the time as I cart my items into the highrise on a small hand truck (being careful not to dent the bigger side case I stack the smaller sidecase on). The trax cases also have a nice handle system you can purchase seperately. I use it to haul these cases into the parking garage and attach them.

I ride over inner-city roads for about 3 miles to pick up food items (some heavy). The road is very bumpy in spots and is probably comparable to a 3rd world country in many respects (Queens Blvd, Forest Hills, NYC). I regularly see cars hammer their suspension on this same road.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
2 Posts
do it, either system

One other quick note. When I bought these pannier I hesitated to do so because of cost. This would have been a mistake. I love these things and it has made my machine a true workhorse. At first, I bought a big double high tank bag. The bag was nice and roomy, but when you need to gas up, I had to monkey with the tank bag side magnets and unplug the powerlet connection I had set up. When you are trying to make time over a 1,200 mile trip, it was a major pain each gas stop. The panniers have simplified everything and have made this machine an absolute commuting/trip tour monster.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts