StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been several posts on Jesse Luggage. They seem to be a bit old. Some of them talk about a shotty mounting bracket that needed bending, etc. Another talked about a DL 650 going in for the manufacturer to "retemplate" so not sure?

First question - does anyone have a recent Jesse set up? If yes what are the +'s and -'s? Waterproof? ease of removal from rack? etc.

I am ready to buy some luggage and have done some research on Givi's, HT's, and tourtech. Is there anything else I should look at and what are your overall suggestions? I want a good compromise of larger size and overall narrow (here in CA we can lane split - good for commute every once and a while).

I know this seams to be be somewhat a duplicative post but many of the similar posts that I could find are a bit dated (boxes, mounts, etc have changes in newer models)

·
Registered
489 Posts
One type of luggage you didn't mention is the Pelican setup. They are indestructible and there are plenty of threads that show you how to hook them up to Givi racks for a very good setup for relatively cheap. Caribou Cases make a finished product that costs you a bit more but makes the pelican/strom luggage a custom fit on the strom.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My boyfriend and I have the Jesse bags. We've had them for about 4 months. Haven't ridden in any rain yet. I have a 650 and he has the 1000. His went on very easily, but he had to modify mine and had to use spacers for the rear bracket as it was pulling the rear fender in too much. They do hold a lot and we're very happy with them. We bought them through xploremoto and their customer service was fantastic! If you have any more specific questions...just pm me and I"ll put you in touch with my boyfriend. By the way...we're not far from you...we're in Los Altos.

About the lane splitting...they are wide so you have to be careful about where you split lanes, but it can be done.

I know there have been several posts on Jesse Luggage. They seem to be a bit old. Some of them talk about a shotty mounting bracket that needed bending, etc. Another talked about a DL 650 going in for the manufacturer to "retemplate" so not sure?

First question - does anyone have a recent Jesse set up? If yes what are the +'s and -'s? Waterproof? ease of removal from rack? etc.

I am ready to buy some luggage and have done some research on Givi's, HT's, and tourtech. Is there anything else I should look at and what are your overall suggestions? I want a good compromise of larger size and overall narrow (here in CA we can lane split - good for commute every once and a while).

I know this seams to be be somewhat a duplicative post but many of the similar posts that I could find are a bit dated (boxes, mounts, etc have changes in newer models)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
- thanks - Not sure how I forgot to mention the Caribou's. I have those as a close 2nd or maybe even 1st to the Jesse's. My only concern is the side opening vs top loading. Any thoughts on that? I haven't used either.

Trying to keep total width less than 40"

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have latest Jesse mounts and bags on 06 Vee. Installation was simple. I opted for hard bolting top box w/o quick release and bolted box very far forward so that seat can just barely be removed. Quick release on side bags is very simple and convenient to operate. Also side bags can be moved forward and back about 6" depending on passenger needs. I generally mount mine all the way forward but for and aft adjustment is very quick and easy. I run with only top box on local rides.

Here is look with bags mounted forward.

Rear view with side bags.

Rear view top box only.

The only aggravation with these bags is that in order to access rear brake fluid container and the rear brake line connection The top box and right side mounts all need to be removed in order to remove side cover. Major PITA but doesn't happen very often.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Waterproof? Yes!

Easy install.
Excellent quality.
And COMPLETELY rainproof!
Major bibical rains for 3 days straight coming back last year from Tennessee and not a drop of water in the cases.

Colleen

·
Registered
808 Posts
Honestly they don't really look wider than my factory bags, which hold far less because the factory racks hold the bags WAY out to the sides (for example, on the 650, has enough room for the 1000 exhaust on the left side).

Definitely a minor bitch for splitting, but the only time I plan to use the sidecases is on long out-of-CA trips, where splitting won't be legal anyway, so it's irrelevant.

If I'm riding in CA, I can do topcase-only and still split.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just to throw a wrench in your works, you might also consider Micatech bags. They are similar to Jesse bags but open on the side, are waterproof as well. I like the side opening feature because when you have your stuff strapped on top of your cases, you can still access what's in your bags, unlike Jesses. Here's the link:

Micatech V2 Side Carrier

Their website sort of sucks, imho. I have these and one thing I think is nifty is they double a great chair when you're camping, and the lid has a beer holder, how cool is that? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
969 Posts
On a V-Strom the Jesse bags sit a little higher than on some other bikes so it may not be an issue. Be very careful off road or if you get into a wobbly situation where you have to put a foot down while your moving forward. The bags are also referred to as ankle breakers. The scenario happens like this, the bags will look good until you load them up and your suspension droops. You come to a stop light but aren't balanced quit right or haven't timed it quit right. You plant your foot to catch the bike while moving forward. As you roll, your foot goes up on the ball and your heel is now under the bag pinning it between the ground and the bag. True this can happen with any bag that hags to low but the Jesse bags are rock solid and don't give.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just installed mine 2 weeks ago I had no problems with the brackets or instructions on line, took about an hour to install. I did use the spacers for the exhaust should on the rear hoop like has been discussed here before. I cant possibly see how you could ever get your feet or ankle stuck under them unless you have 4' long legs and size 14 shoes? the balance is great I have had them loaded with 50# each side (TOOLS) and have had no handling problems, you do need to reset your sag depending on how much you put in them, and keep the load even side to side The lid bags are worth every penny but I wouldn't get the bags for the bottom you can find less expensive liners and have several for different applications IE two bags set up for camping gear and two others set up for whatever else you do. I did not use the Jessie exhaust shield and every thing fits great. The only thing I would recommend is some reflective tape as the Jesse's when in the rear most position do block the red reflectors on the licence plate

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dino. Wouldn't this fact make the Jesse bags even more marketable as they have forward aft adjustment. If concerned you could move the bags back (out of ankles way)

Now debating with the Micatech- thanks:thumbup:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've had mine for about a year and a half. Great boxes.

As for the template adjusting comment. I brought my vee and I think someone else brought their wee to them to rebuild their welding jig. After years of welding brackets on the jig, the jig was tweaked from the heat. They rebuilt their jigs and took all feedback they've heard and made sure they fit right.

Water proof, yup. There's a nice 1/2" lip that the lid fits over along with a foam rubber seal. I've been through monsoon season storms here in Arizona and not a drop of water in the bags.

In a crash they hold up well. I've crashed in rocks and on dirt roads. On one low side I rode out, they kept me from having my foot pinned under the bike. I kept my foot on the pegs all the way down. They protected the bike (along with crash bars) from too much damage. I've even had them slide a little backwards and go cockeyed on one crash, so they absorbed some impact. I just pulled that case off and put it right back on and it fit fine.

As for the ankle breaking. I could see that. I ran my leg over once in deep sand (no broken ankle). I keep my feet on the pegs now. I imagine just about any hard box would give you that problem. If it's a concern, go with soft luggage.

My only complaint is that now I start to amass too much crap in the boxes weighing down the bike. After awhile you seem to keep all this "necessary" stuff in there that you really don't need. I just cleaned mine out and had an 8 pack of D-Cell batteries in there. No idea why I put them in there in the first place.

Here's a picture of the low side crash. Scraped paint off the corners a bit. Black sharpie and they look fine.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Just to throw a wrench in your works, you might also consider Micatech bags. They are similar to Jesse bags but open on the side, are waterproof as well. I like the side opening feature because when you have your stuff strapped on top of your cases, you can still access what's in your bags, unlike Jesses. Here's the link:

Micatech V2 Side Carrier

Their website sort of sucks, imho. I have these and one thing I think is nifty is they double a great chair when you're camping, and the lid has a beer holder, how cool is that? :mrgreen:
Micatechs rock. I know the guy who makes them and he has slow-but-steady sales to V-Strom owners. I loaned him my 05 for the initial fitting.

Bought Jesses (though I might have purchased Micatechs if they'd been available) and have been very very pleased. The mount that allows you to slide them forward or back for two-up or solo is slick. Lots of room, waterproof, secure, strong.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all - pulled the trigger - Jesse it is. I am super excited.
First trip with bags- Tahoe then Yosemite. Can't wait

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks to all - pulled the trigger - Jesse it is. I am super excited.
First trip with bags- Tahoe then Yosemite. Can't wait
You will love the Jesse's. Be sure to install new rear stainless steel brake line before installing right side bag mounts. PITA to do this later.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Is there a way to adjust the tension on the latches? Mine leak some and I thought I had read someplace that there was a way to stop the leaking by adjusting the latch or the hinge, but I can not for the life of me recall how I once happened across that.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I am also looking at adding Jesse bags to my '07 wee. Those of you that have been running w/ hard bags for awhile, what kind of mpg changes have you noticed after mounting?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Old Thread?

Hey, I did about 1600 miles in May with my Jesse's mounted and loaded. I averaged 58 mpg (2012 650). I stayed off the highway as much as I could and was riding with a slower rider, so was more conservative on the throttle.

Around home, I tend to ride a little more aggressively than I do on trips and I average 56 mpg, again on the 2012.

I love the Jesse bags and would put them on my '05 if I had the cash. Not that I need two fully set up bikes, but what the heck, they are paid for.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts