StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Canucks here bought Jesse Odyssey panniers for your strom? What did you pay for them after it was all said & done? Also, I have had NO luck trying to get through to Jesse via email or phone, also some confusion about wheather they make them for the strom's anymore?... Is there a dealer or do you have to order them from Jesse?? If this goes on much longer I'm getting Happy Trails Targhee's.

Thanks, look forward to responses. ( I did a search & nothing)

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Cant help you out really with your search...but, if ever I email and/or phone a company and get zero response, I go elswhere with my business. Plain and simple.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I love the way Jesse's look and how well designed they are.

I WILL NEVER BUY A JESSE.

I'm not going to start an I hate jesse's thread but let me tell you why I won't do it.

Tige and I really wanted to have Jesse's. Probably for all the same reasons you do. So we called him up and actually talked to him (cool huh!). He was very helpful and even offered us a discount since we wanted two sets. The only thing about the deal was we had a 5000 mile trip planned about six months out and needed the bags before then. Couple weeks after making our order we were informed that Jesse was focusing entirely on BMW bags right now and we would not receive the bags before our July trip. It was not clear if he didn't make strom bags anymore but it really sounded that way.

This seems to be a common theme, he makes bags for BMW, and if you want one for another bike it will NOT be a priority. I find that attitude unacceptable. So we saved a couple grand and got GIVI (him) and OEM (me) bags. We are both extremely happy with our purchases.

-GW

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That's what I was afraid of. I emailed them & called but they aren't answering the phone right now due to high volume production or whatever... I love the Jesse's to but it's looking more like Happy Trails for me. I already have Givi E 36's & like them very much but I want aluminum panniers now. I spoke to HT yesterday,( who DID answere the phone).. nice enough & no problem getting panniers either on line, or the phone. I will be selling my E36's with the racks ( DL 1000) as soon as I get the new ones, hopefully this season.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have 2 sets of Happy Trails panniers. I received my first set with the associated mounting brackets, well there was a little boo boo with the top mounting bracket (they must have got the wrong jig). I called them and explained the situation, and stated that I am going on a big trip in a week or so. The owner Fed Ex'd me a new set of the correct mounting brackets FREE of charge in time for my trip. These guys went way beyond customer service. This is why I have a second set for my wifes bike now. I highly recommend them, not only are their bags and brackets top notch-their customer service is A1.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Thats the kind of service that keeps a fella coming back and providing recommendations. I cant be bothered with companys that have a web site with a contact email/phone and cant be bothered to reply to the customer (the people that pay their bills!).

Cheers!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats the kind of service that keeps a fella coming back and providing recommendations. I cant be bothered with companys that have a web site with a contact email/phone and cant be bothered to reply to the customer (the people that pay their bills!).

Cheers!
Agreed! I'm learning fast that support is as important as product quality.

Cheers,

·
Registered
603 Posts
I absolutely love my Jesse Bags and have bought two sets now. They are cavernous and bullet-proof. If you now look on their website, they don't even list the Strom and I've heard the same rumor about making bags for BMWs first.

On the other hand, I've also had a set of Happy Trails Bags on a KLR. The company is great to deal with, but I found the bags hard to mount. I also had one bag split a seam and had to take it to a shop and have it welded. I'm sure I could have sent it back to the Northwest for repairs, but from Florida it didn't seem like a viable alternative.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I absolutely love my Jesse Bags and have bought two sets now. They are cavernous and bullet-proof. If you now look on their website, they don't even list the Strom and I've heard the same rumor about making bags for BMWs first.

On the other hand, I've also had a set of Happy Trails Bags on a KLR. The company is great to deal with, but I found the bags hard to mount. I also had one bag split a seam and had to take it to a shop and have it welded. I'm sure I could have sent it back to the Northwest for repairs, but from Florida it didn't seem like a viable alternative.
I did want Jesse's but I can't get in touch with a living breathing person via email or phone to answere my questions.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Down here I also wanted Jesses. I waited over 12 months and spoke to 3 actual people there over a period of time including Al. Yes, I was promised the world and it did not happen and they stopped responding to emails. Then the Vstrom was removed from the site, phuk em, WOFTAM!

I bought Happy Trails Canyon(for the cornering ablity) and although I had a few fiddly moments mounting them, I am happy at this stage :) I will know after my trip to Cape York late this year if they can take the damage. Cape York is a bit like your Alaska, 2000km round trip of corrugations and dirt etc.

Cheers
TS

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Down here I also wanted Jesses. I waited over 12 months and spoke to 3 actual people there over a period of time including Al. Yes, I was promised the world and it did not happen and they stopped responding to emails. Then the Vstrom was removed from the site, phuk em, WOFTAM!

I bought Happy Trails Canyon(for the cornering ablity) and although I had a few fiddly moments mounting them, I am happy at this stage :) I will know after my trip to Cape York late this year if they can take the damage. Cape York is a bit like your Alaska, 2000km round trip of corrugations and dirt etc.

Cheers
TS
Yeah, I can't be bothered with that kind of service. if I buy HT's( likely will) I may make a road trip out of it. I'll leave from here, (Vancouver Island, Canada) , head to Boise Idaho where HT's are made & head North from there back to Canada & once I'm back on my turf it's a nice ride back to the Island. I already sent HT's an email to see if I can drop by & have them instaulled. They got back to me the next day & said with enough notice it's no problem! I tink I'll be planning that trip soon for this summer!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HA ha, I just received this email from Jesse Luggage,

Tim
We will have the Suzuki luggage back up and running by the end of April.
Watch our web site for all the new things for the V Strom.
Al

If it's true, no problem but from what I've been reading about delays etc... I just don't want to get excited & then have to wait longer...
-----Original Message-----

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jesse's for the Strom will live again!

OK, now I can eat my words, not only did I get an email from Jesse, but they returned my phone all as well! They told me in person that they WILL be making the Jesse's for the Strom's near the end of April again. He was honest at least & said that BMW is 90% of Jesse's business & they do give them priority because that is their "bread & butter". Basically if I give them my cc # I'll be put on a list for the Strom panniers when they start them up again. The site will be updated I am told as well to include the Strom again. Then again, I can get Happy Trail's probably much sooner! hmmm..

·
Registered
870 Posts
Just my 2c worth. Let them get their product on the market and then see what happens. I was also told the same crap, before they took the stroms off the site. Personally, they need to EARN the right to sell their stuff to strom owners again. At least HT have looked after all of us that have bought, even if we had slight hassles!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just my 2c worth. Let them get their product on the market and then see what happens. I was also told the same crap, before they took the stroms off the site. Personally, they need to EARN the right to sell their stuff to strom owners again. At least HT have looked after all of us that have bought, even if we had slight hassles!
Beleive me, I agree. I really like the Jesse's but giving them my cc# to "secure" my order doesn't mean alot to me, especially after reading about your experience. I still don't know when I would get them & that I need to know! I was a bit suprised to see that Happy Trails & Jesse's run around the same cost. HT"s, $993. & Jesse's $995. I thought Jesse's would be more than the HT's.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
If you are still going to Boise,

... Consider US93. I rode that a couple of years ago, and the scenery was terrific. It follows the Salmon River, which flows briskly north, so going north is going downhill. I actually passed an Idaho snowplow on that road, but it had been used to plow the debris from a small rock fall, not snow.

Good luck with whatever bags you choose.
Keith

·
Administrator
13,731 Posts
Hi Keith,

I read all your posts and am an admirer of the adventures you have done so far. Plus I gratly enjoyed our chat last year when you visited.

It would be neat if you had a blog or some such that would allow us to read what you have done and where you have been and your observations and interesting facts.

..Tom

... Consider US93. I rode that a couple of years ago, and the scenery was terrific. It follows the Salmon River, which flows briskly north, so going north is going downhill. I actually passed an Idaho snowplow on that road, but it had been used to plow the debris from a small rock fall, not snow.

Good luck with whatever bags you choose.
Keith

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Hi Keith,

I read all your posts and am an admirer of the adventures you have done so far. Plus I gratly enjoyed our chat last year when you visited.

It would be neat if you had a blog or some such that would allow us to read what you have done and where you have been and your observations and interesting facts.

..Tom
Hrm.. yeah.. someone should make stromtrooper blogs or something... :mrgreen:

-GW

·
Administrator
13,731 Posts
The issue isn't the making of the blogs it's having something interesting to say! If I thought that people would be interested in what I wrote I would have one but I suspect most wouldn't bother.

For Keith, though, he already has at least one fan... give him a blog and I will be sure to read it!

..Tom

Hrm.. yeah.. someone should make stromtrooper blogs or something... :mrgreen:

-GW

1 - 20 of 21 Posts