StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a new K9 650 with 300+ miles. At low speeds under 3,000 rpm in 1st gear, when I apply the throttle I get a jerky response as opposed to a smooth roll on that I should have. The bike is completely stock. Will an after market exhaust and/or a K&N air filter solve this? Thanks

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Below 3000rpm, feather the clutch and the rear brake to control speed. The bike doesn't like to move a load at lower rpms. The engine is designed to rev. It's not like it's red lined at 6000rpm and it's not a four.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Throttle cables

I don't know if this will help you, but I got my 08 Wee last year and it's my first bike and I had that problem to. I ended up having to adjust the throttle cables. They were so loose I had to remove the gas tank and air filter box and take some slack off directly at the "carburator". Since then the problem has been solved for me anyway. I can now feather the throttle without the jerking.

Denis

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Also accept that an abrupt off-to-on transition (from zero throttle) is typical for this bike. Adjusting throttle cables will help, and a "crampbuster" also helps (because it provides finer control), but you'll never be rid of it entirely.

The FI is definitely not what I'd call refined, though you'll find it much more enjoyable over 4000 rpm. Keep it wound up and its limitations won't manifest themselves.

Cheers ...

·
Registered
68 Posts
The clutch is your friend

I was also suprised at the driveline snatch when going from closed throttle to pretty much any opening; thats part of the DL650 FI, I guess. However, as soon as I made peace with this fact of life and started using the clutch during these transitions (feathering, as GW says), no more problems. The clutch as a anti-snatch lever!

·
Registered
29 Posts
On the 1K, the Throttle Position Sensor has a lot to do with a smooth transition. It can get real choppy if it's not set just right.

Does the 650 have a touchy TPS?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts