StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how good they are but they rate fairly well on the site.. Anyhoo, they have a medium and large, 39 and 45 bucks, free shipping and ten percent off till midnight. Promo code JCWXMAS I ordered the medium, 35 bucks shipped. For that kind of money it is worth the chance. And it comes with a metal baseplate and hardware.

·
Premium Member
7,202 Posts
Buy a can of satin black spray paint to cover the hideous orange belt and the case works great. I've used a large on my Wee since '08 or so. The only thing that really doesn't fit is the Bell Revolver helmet, gotta flex it a bit . . .

Big enough to hold a mid-size laptop case & lunch along with all the regular "stuff" that collects - gloves, cover, etc.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I'd be curious to know if these will latch on the Bestem plate. Because I'd like a medium, but I don't want to lose my large Bestem to do it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks, guys!

cpd419, thanks for the tip; Jaydee1156, that 15% coupon worked! Merry Christmas to you both, and iamsmiling, too.

I've been on the fence regarding a top case/"trunk", but for less than forty bucks, why not? Wondered about the large looking too big after putting the meter stick next to the tail of the horse, but the way the design tapers from its wider center, decided to try it. Their photo of a helmet in the medium model made me decide to 'go big(ger).' Maybe I'll move the raingear from the starboard side saddlebag for even-quicker access.

I managed a short hop yesterday, despite the temps in the 20s (the roads were mostly-dry), but just TOOOOO bitter cold today. Warm thoughts directed toward all the folks going without electricity in ME, VT, and Ontario -- and further West. The daylight's improving, even if slightly. Spring is coming, but it's far over the horizon here.

·
Registered
464 Posts
The Bestem and JCW bases are very similar, but there are subtle differences here and there. I can't remember 100%, but I think the bottom latch bolts are a little longer on one base.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Just ordered the medium for $33.30 OTD. Hoping it will latch right on the Bestem plate, otherwise I'll have to sell it locally. Worth the chance to have a smaller option for local rides.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
The Bestem and JCW bases are very similar, but there are subtle differences here and there. I can't remember 100%, but I think the bottom latch bolts are a little longer on one base.
Thanks for the info. Just took a chance on one. I can always sell it for that price if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Last spring I got the large case for $40. I've used it on my XT225 since then with no issues. I'm happy with it but my Wee came with a Shad case which is sturdier and doesn't have to be locked with the key. On a nicer bike I'd personally go for a nicer case.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would like to have the factory aluminum suzuki case to match the side cases but it ain't in my budget.

·
Registered
15,545 Posts
Great buy, I paid 70 bucks or so for mine. I put reflective tape under the plastic strip so it does something in the headlights. They will break like an egg if your motorcycle flips and lands on it. Other than poor treatment they hold up well and work. Water proof also.
I do run a nylon strap around mine because the box seems to be loose on the mounting plate. I've had a few now and wouldn't spend the big bucks on a box that the others cost.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I put it on today. It seems fairly strong and mounts well. It has a few extras like bolt covers on the inside to prevent scratches and what not. All and all I think it was worth the 33 bucks.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey guys, just got my garage pro case today and am trying to mount it.

How did you guys do it? The holes do not line up, so I am guessing I am going to have to drill new holes in the mounting plate, but the problem is...

...the holes on the bike's rack are very close to the holes in the mounting plate.

In other words, the newly drilled holes are going to be awfully close to the preexisting holes, thus not be very strong on an already weak/thin plate.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15,545 Posts
I dunno about weak. I've mounted a couple boxes using just one of the supplied straps. I enlarged the factory hole to get it to line up with the bolts on my new BMW. No big deal. I don't expect the plate to fail.
As I mentioned before, I do run a nylon strap around the box for added security but often forget to tighten the strap. The box hasn't fallen off or opened bouncing down the road in many 10's of thousands miles.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I dunno about weak. I've mounted a couple boxes using just one of the supplied straps. I enlarged the factory hole to get it to line up with the bolts on my new BMW. No big deal. I don't expect the plate to fail.
As I mentioned before, I do run a nylon strap around the box for added security but often forget to tighten the strap. The box hasn't fallen off or opened bouncing down the road in many 10's of thousands miles.
Supplied straps? We might not be talking about the same thing.

Garage Pro Universal Motorcycle Travel Trunks - JCWhitney

This is what I ordered and it didn't come with any straps.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have had one on my '05 for many years. One tough box! Watertight and roomy. Everything you'd want. Pretty easy to add axillary brake lights too. Saves a lot of money for other farkles!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have had one on my '05 for many years. One tough box! Watertight and roomy. Everything you'd want. Pretty easy to add axillary brake lights too. Saves a lot of money for other farkles!
Did the holes on your bracket line up with the holes on your rear rack? Did you have to modify anything to install?

·
Registered
15,545 Posts
The mounting plate for my JC Whitless box came with a couple metal straps and bolts that allow a universal fit to a rack. i DON'T HAVE DIGITAL CAMERA OR i'D KNOCK OUT A SHOt of the mount I have. I hate cap locks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did the holes on your bracket line up with the holes on your rear rack? Did you have to modify anything to install?
There's an item on ebay (search for 'Model 982 trunk v-strom') which is almost the same exact box as the JC Whitney GaragePro, except it's double the price. Anyway, they show a shot of a modified mounting plate that has 4 new holes drilled in it.

I just received my Large top box for my 'new-to-me' Vee. $35 shipped with the 20% off 'RACE500' coupon code. It's 9*F here today so I'm not in a huge hurry to go ride, but I'll take some pics of my install when I do it.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts