StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amazing adventure.
I may try to put together a RR but no promises.
Had some awesome adventures and some not so awesome adventures.
5 bears,heard off caribu, two wolves, a 50mph get off, 4 stopped falls, pouring rain, blazing sun, freezing cold, and thousands of miles of wildreness and nobody but me.
12 nights and only two at a paid lodge. The rest all stealth camping in indian winter hunting sites.
3,211 miles
1,490 dirt roads

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
James Bay

I'm planning to do the James Bay Rd next year to Radisson and Chisasibi. What month did you do your trip? That is the only delema that I am having, which month to go!

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Amazing adventure.
I may try to put together a RR but no promises.
Had some awesome adventures and some not so awesome adventures.
5 bears,heard off caribu, two wolves, a 50mph get off, 4 stopped falls, pouring rain, blazing sun, freezing cold, and thousands of miles of wildreness and nobody but me.
12 nights and only two at a paid lodge. The rest all stealth camping in indian winter hunting sites.
3,211 miles
1,490 dirt roads
M.C., you are absolutely stellar!!! I know what it takes to do this, and you BY FAR out did my trip!!! Your first photo, and your last photo bring back fond memories for me; just one hell of a long strip of gravel through "no-man's-land". (Although the Cree did adapt to it very well, until the white man messed it up.). Your other photos....well heck, I do that stuff all the time! :wink1:

I hope that you can post more photos for other riders to view. Keep in mind, that MANY riders will not have the opportunity to do what you have done, (and many won't attempt it either!). Posting the photos lets us live the trip with you.

Thanks for the first post in what I hope will become many!

B.L.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JBR

I left on 8/16 and returned 8/30. The bugs are not so bad and it's not to cold yet. As you know, weather can make or break a trip.

By the way, the JBR is a really fun road. Long straights followed by curves that go for a couple of miles, and no traffic. You could do 90+mph for hours at a time, and lean angles in corners that just go on and on and on.......

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Barry. A compliment coming from the legendary Black Lab makes it feel like even more of an accomplishment. I owe you, this site and ADV for my inspiration, and much information, and will try to post of an RR.

I will tell you that it was quite an adventure. I almost turned back about 200 miles from the end, but the dam V would have nothing to do with turning around. All the roads were different, and had their own challenges, but the Taiga Road was the most difficult.

Being alone that far out (I saw two Hydro Qubec trucks in 850 miles) was intense, amazing, scary, fun, excillarting, and just awesome.

Every moment of every day was living on the edge. The constant feeling of the tires fighting for trackion is addicting. Patching up the bike after "events" was a challange but you know...........you pick yourself up, check for injuries, apologise to the bike cause it's always your fault, and do what you have to do to get it picked up (dig a trench under the wheels, push the bike in so there is less lean angle, and then when its on its feet, put rocks in front of the back tire so I could walk it out of the soft sand) and then go about fixing the broken parts. I will say........the Strom is a amazing machine. It goes, and goes, and goes.

I do feel like I accomplished something. It does not matter much in the grand scheme of things, or probably to anyone else really, but to me and at this moment in my life, it was important.

More to come. <MC>

QUOTE=Black Lab;727643]M.C., you are absolutely stellar!!! I know what it takes to do this, and you BY FAR out did my trip!!! Your first photo, and your last photo bring back fond memories for me; just one hell of a long strip of gravel through "no-man's-land". (Although the Cree did adapt to it very well, until the white man messed it up.). Your other photos....well heck, I do that stuff all the time! :wink1:

I hope that you can post more photos for other riders to view. Keep in mind, that MANY riders will not have the opportunity to do what you have done, (and many won't attempt it either!). Posting the photos lets us live the trip with you.

Thanks for the first post in what I hope will become many!

B.L.[/QUOTE]

Attachments

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
There was no sign saying, "Bienvenue Á Chartierville", was there?!!!

It looks like you got to spend some time in a Cree bush village. Where was that?

I agree that mid-August is the time to make the trip. Although the days can get hot, the nights are cool. The temperature change tends to keep the bugs away. Scott and I had NO problems with insects attacking us.

I Do Wish I Saw The Herd Of Caribou Though!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
You've made me eager to get on the road. I'm leaving September 23rd-ish up the JBR to Radisson with a friend who'll be on his R1200GS. This is as much a must-do for me because of the roads as it is because I just haven't had any riding time this year, between work and family.

Thanks for the inspiration.

·
Registered
96 Posts
JBR

Whaler:
I am impressed with your adventure! I did the JBR to Radisson solo in 2009 and I'll tell you I can't even image the Taiga solo. It takes a big set to take that road on. Did you take extra fuel and if so did you need to use it?

·
Registered
815 Posts
I did it back in 2004, although stuck to the paved roads other than out to Chisasibi. Our group included a Harley, a FZ1, a ZR750 and me on my '02 VEE.

If you aren't camping, make sure to reserve rooms ahead, and take extra fuel if you can't do 375km on a tank. We went the first week of August, and even then one morning there was frost and I believe -6c one morning, so take lots of cold weather gear even if it's warm at home.

We didn't see much wild life at all. In fact I see more close to home many days. The black flies were thick and hungry though.

It's a great trip and would like to do it again some day. Here are some scanned pics.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
and take extra fuel if you can't do 375km on a tank. We went the first week of August, and even then one morning there was frost and I believe -6c one morning, so take lots of cold weather gear even if it's warm at home.
A new service station was built last year to add to what has been present. There is no need for extra fuel on the JBR anymore, (at least for "Long Range Bikes")

If you plan to ride the Route du Nord, or the Tiaga Road, I would recommend taking extra fuel with you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There was no sign saying, "Bienvenue Á Chartierville", was there?!!!

It looks like you got to spend some time in a Cree bush village. Where was that?

I agree that mid-August is the time to make the trip. Although the days can get hot, the nights are cool. The temperature change tends to keep the bugs away. Scott and I had NO problems with insects attacking us.

I Do Wish I Saw The Herd Of Caribou Though!
When i was getting fuel in Nemanska a Cree couple showed me on my map a route that left the NR and went North and then West and came out further up the JBR. It was about 120 miles of good gravel road. I had noticed these winter hunting camps and asked them if it would be ok if I stayed in one. They said "yes who would care". Their uncles family had one on this route and they showed me where abouts it was. I found it late in the day just before the sky opened up. Good thing as it rained and the wind howled all night. I had set up my hammock inside one of the shelters and was nice and dry, although I did spend the night expecting angry indians to burst through the door at any moment. The feeling of history and culture was very powerful. I stayed on the grounds of two other bush villages. I would hide the bike and leave no signs that I was there and be gone at first light.

I was fortunate to see the caribu. The mechanic who helped me repair my bike pointed them out to me on a distant ridge. He said it was early for them to be this far South and didnt really know why. We could only see about 5 or 6 of them but it was very cool.

Scooterboy. Thanks for the compliment. It's funny you mention having a "set". After a struggle, an event, or after hours/miles of seening no one, I would start to doubt myself and think that my Mom and Dad were right, it was a stupid idea to go alone. I would then yell at myself in my helmet............"coleman you have a set of brass ones, keep moving and stop being a mamas boy". Those moments were intense but it's seems funny to me now.

I carried 4 gallons extra fuel. I used a gallon on the NR and a gallon on the TTR to make it to the fuel stops. On the way out of the TTR the 4 gallons allowed me to go South on the JBR to the km381 fuel stop, instead of having to go North back the 60 miles to Radisson and then South the 80 miles to km381.

I am working on a RR and hope to post by the end of the week.

Until then, carry on men and remember, you can not get a redo on the day so live large, in the moment, and with no regrets. <MC>

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You've made me eager to get on the road. I'm leaving September 23rd-ish up the JBR to Radisson with a friend who'll be on his R1200GS. This is as much a must-do for me because of the roads as it is because I just haven't had any riding time this year, between work and family.

Thanks for the inspiration.
KZDON
You go. You will freeze your ass off in September but I am sure you Canada boys are used to it. Family is important and priority one but................go go go. You owe it to yourself.

Inspiration..............here is a quote that I live by every day.

The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
<MC>

Attachments

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Heated gear is a wonderful thing.

It's been the case over the past several years that the only time I can get away is when the frost is on it's way, so I've been inventorying my gear to ensure everything that plugs in is ready.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Whaler, when I came home from my trip, I was in a "fog" as to all that happened in that area. The native Cree have had THEIR land and resources stolen from them. It is Cree land. BUT, Québec says it is their land because it resides within their provice. BUT, Canada says, "Hey, wait a minute boys, those resources belong to all of Canada!" It is a VERY complicated, three way battle!

I have some suggested reading for you: "Home Is The Hunter", The James Bay Cree and Their Lands. By; Hans M. Carlson.

Scott and I spent a night in Nemaska. Upon are arrival, we bumped into Luc Beaudoin. Luc is a psychologist who traveled from Cree village to village to try and help out with the issues that have arisen there over the past 20 years. The main issue with Nemaska is, they have been displaced and moved about 7 times! They really have no "home" to speak of because of this; no roots as to where they have come from. Suicide, drug use, alcohol use, spousal abuse are very high..........for a community of just 700 people.

Here is a photo of Luc standing next to my friend Scott Thurston.

You ARE SO lucky to have made it into the bush camps!!! I am truly envious of what you did!!!

The photos are great! Please keep them coming!

Your last photo where you are stopped in the gravel road, for what looks like a little break and a snack, really brings back memories for me. It was just really cool to stop in the middle of nowhere, shut off the bike and listen to "nothing". And, I mean NOTHING!

Again, you made an outstanding trip. One that will DEFINITELY stay with you for the rest of your life. And, will most likely keep going for you as well. "Twist and turns" in your life will come out of this trip as you move forward from it.

B.L.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Heated gear is a wonderful thing.

It's been the case over the past several years that the only time I can get away is when the frost is on it's way, so I've been inventorying my gear to ensure everything that plugs in is ready.
...and the heated vest is dead, so the new Tourmaster heated jacket (liking the idea of warmer arms and a high collar) is on the way along with a Fuzeblock FZ1.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Whaler,
I am just covering bases here, (sent you an e-mail), but, I wanted to let you know that I will be in Greenville this weekend for the Floatplane Fly-in. I am site #1 at Leisure Life Family Resort, (or something like that!). The motel/campground is one mile beyond where the Katahdin Scenic Cruise boat ties up; on the right hand side of Lily Bay Road.

I will be there Thursday night, (tonight), and leaving Sunday afternoon.

There is plenty of room at the campsite.

Barry

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Postponed

Probably until next summer. I figure by then there will be a Super 8 and a Tim's every 50 kilometres.

The truth is my riding mate's good friend and neighbour had a massive stroke the other day, his aunt passed away yesterday, and his uncle (over 90 and playing regularly in the international seniors tennis circuit) has had some crisis that put him in hospital and counting the days. They do say these things come in threes. In the circumstances he's decided to stay closer to home for the next little while.

Things sure do go in odd directions some times.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts