StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
New DL650 VStrom owner here and was curious if there were any other VStromers in the Jacksonville Area?
Cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
I have a '05 red DL650, and my friend has a blue '05 DL650. We both live in Mandarin. We have gone to several of the Florida meet and greets and you can check out the photos of these rides. The World Golf Village antique bike show is May 20th and I will be going.

David
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,065 Posts
Stromette will be in your area late summer.... staying in J'ville a few days to rest from the successful completion of my USA 4 Corner ride (ends in Key West) and before starting the 50CC back home to the Left Coast. Could you please arrange for perfect weather? :wink:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
978 Posts
Stromette, "perfect late summer weather" in these parts does not compute.



It's either that scene or Phoenix hot with 90% humidity.

Come see us Oct-April :D

Rod
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,065 Posts
RodK said:
Stromette, "perfect late summer weather" in these parts does not compute.
Come see us Oct-April :D

Rod
Hey Rod,

Well, problem is Oct-Apr in the top parts of the country is better suited for snowmobiles and not Stroms. :wink: Planning the 4Corner ride in terms of best time is challenging.. we're leaning towards starting late Aug or early/mid Sept and running it clockwise so whatever storms are brewing (or occuring) in your parts we will know well in advance and can wait it out/plan. The official/sanctioned 4Corners are San Ysidro, CA -Blaine, WA - Madawaska, ME - Key West, FL. We can do it in any direction at any time. We have a maximum of 21 days to do the ride. A friend of mine did it last year in 7 days. We will not ride nearly that hard but can ride harder in areas to outpace storms, etc.

Aside from a plethora of facts and stats available re weather in your area might I ask a few questions to you regarding end of Aug and end of Sep time periods... are there significant differences in temps and rain when comparing the two or are they both just hot and wet? Thanks in advance for your reply.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
978 Posts
That's a great plan, Stromette. Those hurricanes are on TV 2 weeks before they do anything. You might consider carrying some extra fuel somehow. Everyone and their brother has a generator now. If something is close, people will be hording gasoline and ice. Not to mention clogging the roadways. There's only two roads out if this entire state N-S if you can believe that.

A very ambitous ride. For whatever reasons, the hurricanes always hit land on the weekends. Keep that tidbit in you back pocket :shock:

Rod
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
795 Posts
A1A; I'm down in New Smyrna if you can consider that close Jacksonville, then I'm in your area. Welcome and hope to meet you at one our Florida get togethers soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,065 Posts
RodK said:
That's a great plan, Stromette. Those hurricanes are on TV 2 weeks before they do anything. You might consider carrying some extra fuel somehow. Everyone and their brother has a generator now. If something is close, people will be hording gasoline and ice. Not to mention clogging the roadways. There's only two roads out if this entire state N-S if you can believe that.

A very ambitous ride. For whatever reasons, the hurricanes always hit land on the weekends. Keep that tidbit in you back pocket :shock:

Rod
Appreciate the info, Rod. I told my riding partner we're avoiding FL on the weekends. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
852 Posts
Stromette,

4 Corners Ride! Great accomplishment!

Riding to Key West is a nice ride, I've done it a few times. Coming down through Florida, it is quicker and shorter to use US 27 to I-75 down near Miami then taking I-95 down. Just a thought.

Then while you're there, you can see some great sunrises !





Not to mention lots of sun, sand and surf!





BTW, we made that trip in December! Living in Florida does have it's benefits.

Let me know if you need a riding partner or tour guide!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,065 Posts
fl_strom said:
Let me know if you need a riding partner or tour guide!
Thanks for the tips on getting to Key West. What part of FL are you? I'd love to have as many Stromtrooper contacts and meet as many people as possible along the way. Any local info/tips are very much appreciated. I'm going to try and work w/"Howboucha" our Site Admin here on getting things more organized for folks to know my plans, itinerary, etc. My riding schedule is PACKED. There really is no "kick-off" - just one huge journey that's already in progress (kinda like life I guess). Thanks for the offer to help. Maybe it will work that we can meet on the road.

Stromette
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JRShaw said:
A1A; I'm down in New Smyrna if you can consider that close Jacksonville, then I'm in your area. Welcome and hope to meet you at one our Florida get togethers soon.
Yes. thats close only about 150 smiles from Jax. I do believe. I'll be looking forward to meeting you some day.
Cheers!
Richard
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
852 Posts
I'm located about 45 minutes west of Daytona Beach, 45 minutes north of Orlando, 90 minutes south of Jacksonville. The town I live in has but one traffic light. We're on highway 19, just south of the Ocala National Forest, a great place to ride all day long in 400,000 acres of national forest.

Anything I can do to help, just let me know.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
978 Posts
STROMETTE, have your people tell our people on this here message board when you get ready to roll in the FLA. Any road starting with I sux. Nuthin' to see from there :D

Rod
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,065 Posts
RodK said:
STROMETTE, have your people tell our people on this here message board when you get ready to roll in the FLA. Any road starting with I sux. Nuthin' to see from there :D

Rod

Will be rolling in around the Sept 19/20 area (yes, 3wks from now!) if all goes well. Decided today that Key West will be the last corner (meaning the first will be CA). Might need a place to do an oil change and maybe help arranging for a rear tire. Since the 4Corner will be completed after hitting Key West and I'll be in FL what suggestions do you have for a route out that doesn't include the roads that begin w/I? I'm sure I'll have had enough of those roads by the time I get to the Keys!

Oh, and can you arrange for all sunny weather? :wink:

Stromette
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top