StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I own a 2011 Wee and I am a big guy (6' 4"). I really love my bike, but I have a few issues with the seat to footpegs distance and the seat height.

The seat to footpegs distance issue I got solved by installing richlandrick's footpeg and controls lowering kit. It was a worth every dime!

Now, when mounted I flatfoot very easily and have my knees bent somewhat. I'd rather the seat would be an inch or two higher, so I'm considering installing a shorter link (AKA dog bone) so the bike's tail would be jacked up a bit. Richlandrick has one that I believe would do wonders - the 130 mm raising links.

While looking into it, I discovered that my current center stand (not OEM) would be even less effective - as is I have to put some wood pieces underneath the center stand so I can lube the chain. While on my own garage this is no big deal, but on the road it's quite frustrating to do so because I have to pick them up from wherever (normally I store underneath the seat), place them just before the center stand, carefully lean the bike to one side, slide the wooden piece underneath, go to the other side and do the same. It's time consuming and I am always at a risk of forgetting the darn things.

Also, by installing the raising links, I would need to extend the side stand as well so the bike doesn't leans so much on it.

All in all, I am looking into 3 modifications (raising links, longer center stand, and longer side stand) to gain a little better riding position.

Has anyone done this sort of jacking up? Can you shed some light on this issue?

Thanks in advance,
gtludwig

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I put dog bones under my 09 to give it a 1" lift, I love the way the bike now steers, it is much quicker and that makes the bike feel lighter.

I don't have a center stand but I did take the opportunity to make a larger foot for my side stand from a plastic chopping board and bolt it on, it gave me a little more height and a bigger footprint when on the dirt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rolex,

For the 1" lift, how thick is the plastic chopping board you used for the side stand foot? Can you post a picture of it, please?

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
Wait...did you buy this bike used? Center stand should not require blocks unless it's the wrong center stand, or links are already on the bike.

Your best mod for height will be a seat. I am 6'4 w/36" inseam and your seat can go as high as 3" above stock. This takes the seat up to the same level as the passenger seat. Being from Brazil I don't reckon you will want to ship a seat to the US for modifications. Search here for Terry Adcox Seats, Fisher seats and Russell Day Long seats. Copy a picture of whichever one you like the style of, then find a local upholsterer to re-do your seat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah! I got it used with some 5,000 km or (3,000 mi). The previous owner was my father and he's 6 feet tall. He did install a few farkles, but I he wasn't particularly keen to research them and making the bike perfect for his own use as I am doing now.

I just saw your post considering an already replaced link and went to the garage where the bike's parked and took the attached pictures.

bike1.jpg shows bike on the center stand with both tires on the floor.

bike2.jpg shows a caliper centered (trust me!) on both bolts for the link, showing the 140 mm distance between them, so I know this is stock.

A friend of mine that used to have a DL1000 mentioned the center stand design is sloppy for the after market parts and very expensive for the OEM.

I did bought the 130 mm links from richlandrick and I have already contacted one aftermarket manufacturer for center stand and I've pre-ordered one that's some 2 inches longer.

I know I could redo my seat at an upholsterer here, but I don't want to (still) do anything quite permanent on my bike. I'm considering getting an used DL1000 seat and have it refurbished to my liking.

I'll let you know what's going on!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
Hmmm, I wonder what center stand brand that is?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bet the second (and only) most expensive the dealership had... cheaper only than the OEM part.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Rolex,

For the 1" lift, how thick is the plastic chopping board you used for the side stand foot? Can you post a picture of it, please?
I'm on a road trip right now so can't do the photo till I get home in about a week but I will post then.

The board I used is about a half inch thick and you could use two if required, it is quite light and easy to cut, you could even drill some holes and make it even lighter so it will have no effect on the spring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts