StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a motorcycle jack for use with my new Wee-strom. However, the undercarriage is not flat and doesn't look like it will support the weight of the bike. Are there any skid plates that can bear weight?

Thanks,
Ed

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Hi FastEddie

Do a search for skid plates and bash plates. Should help you out. Yah, also under crash bars and look for Pat Walsh I think he is the guy who makes a combo item that many recommend. Also as a safety concern from an old guy, don't lift a bike without help, if it falls on you while alone you have real problems.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
As a fellow old guy working alone, I use a safety precaution. I use a couple of rachet tiedowns from the handlebars to the garage rafters to make sure the bike cannot fall over.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have seen elswhere, though I am not sure where, guys have made two simple brackets to go between the jack and motorcycle.

These were made from wood like 2x4 with some wedges as well. Very simple description but with some good penny tech you should be able to make it work. Of course I too would ratchet strap the bike to the lift.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Before I got the centerstand I used to bottle jacks on the swingarm to lift and settled it on wood blocks under the swingarm.

With the centerstand I use a bottle jack under the engine to lift the front wheel. Then set it on wood blocks if it's going to be elevated for any length of time.

·
Registered
327 Posts
FastEddie
I've looked at several 'universal' motorcycle jacks, but I can't think when I would ever need one. What can you do with this jack that you can't do with a centre-stand? Did you consider buying a centre-stand instead?
I'm not saying you've made a bad purchase - just curious.

Al

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This wasn't a carefully thought-out purchase. I bought the jack at Pep Boys even before I bought the bike. It looked like a nice piece of engineering. And it was way cheap compared to a center stand.

Ed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts