Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...I am a baby when it comes to riding....only a year in. I am looking to make a big jacket and pants purchase and I would love some opinions. I am mostly a commuting rider. i don't go long distance (yet) and I don't go off road by habit.

Here's the thing, I live in the deep south but we do have seasons. ....but mostly it is HOT. The heat and humidity makes me sweat way too much and it is sometimes not fun. I am fairly comfortable in a mesh jacket but I know they offer little protection.

Does anyone have any recommendation for a jacket/pants combination from personal experience? Thanks for any replies. ...and sorry mods if this is in the wrong forum. :confused:

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Hello...I am a baby when it comes to riding....only a year in. I am looking to make a big jacket and pants purchase and I would love some opinions. I am mostly a commuting rider. i don't go long distance (yet) and I don't go off road by habit.

Here's the thing, I live in the deep south but we do have seasons. ....but mostly it is HOT. The heat and humidity makes me sweat way too much and it is sometimes not fun. I am fairly comfortable in a mesh jacket but I know they offer little protection.

Does anyone have any recommendation for a jacket/pants combination from personal experience? Thanks for any replies. ...and sorry mods if this is in the wrong forum. :confused:
You are VERY UNLIKELY to find anything that's comfortable to wear in hot weather with NO MESH . Look at the Olympia line of clothing that strikes and excellent balance in in practical venting while providing real world crash protection, quality materials of construction at very reasonable prices. Link: Olympia Moto Sports 2016 | Ahead of the Curve

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are VERY UNLIKELY to find anything that's comfortable to wear in hot weather with NO MESH . Look at the Olympia line of clothing that strikes and excellent balance in in practical venting while providing real world crash protection, quality materials of construction at very reasonable prices. Link: Olympia Moto Sports 2016 | Ahead of the Curve
Thank you! I have definitely been considering Olympia. I am looking at the Airglide 4/5 as a strong option.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Joe Rocket Atomic 5.0, if you're absolutely opposed to mesh. I live down south, too, and there's no way I'd wear anything other than mesh commuting in the summer. I have an extremely well-vented Teknic textile jacket that cooks me if I get caught in traffic. If your commute doesn't involve a lot of stop-and-go, you might also look into fully perforated leather with zippered vents.

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Before I got the Aerostitch stuff, I wore leathers. Good 'ol' black leathers, Hein Gerike Daker pants and jacket. I worn silk long pants, like skiers use, and a long sleeve turtle neck shirt. Winter and summer. I've ridden in the Mid West and the South West in freezing and 100+ degrees, that stuff worked for me at the time. Now I like the Stitch stuff because it has better crash protection, I seem to crash occasionally.
With proper venting when I'm moving I stay cooled without getting dehydrated. In high humidity areas cool vest aren't the most efficient things but I found them to be of some help.
Multi weather conditions are a difficult medium to find the perfect solution.
When touring I still take my electric jacket since going from the Rockies to places East can find HUGE temp variations.
Like a good scout, be prepared.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Joe Rocket Atomic 5.0, if you're absolutely opposed to mesh. I live down south, too, and there's no way I'd wear anything other than mesh commuting in the summer. I have an extremely well-vented Teknic textile jacket that cooks me if I get caught in traffic. If your commute doesn't involve a lot of stop-and-go, you might also look into fully perforated leather with zippered vents.
That Joe Rocket pair is cheap! I think I am going to take your advice and go at least part mesh.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before I got the Aerostitch stuff, I wore leathers. Good 'ol' black leathers, Hein Gerike Daker pants and jacket. I worn silk long pants, like skiers use, and a long sleeve turtle neck shirt. Winter and summer. I've ridden in the Mid West and the South West in freezing and 100+ degrees, that stuff worked for me at the time. Now I like the Stitch stuff because it has better crash protection, I seem to crash occasionally.
With proper venting when I'm moving I stay cooled without getting dehydrated. In high humidity areas cool vest aren't the most efficient things but I found them to be of some help.
Multi weather conditions are a difficult medium to find the perfect solution.
When touring I still take my electric jacket since going from the Rockies to places East can find HUGE temp variations.
Like a good scout, be prepared.
I wish I could actually see some of this stuff. Unfortunately I have to order it online and its a crap shoot. Maybe I just need to go over to Atlanta and find some brick and mortar stores. All we have here is Cycle Gear and they SUCK.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
The better mesh jackets offer OK protection. 600 denier polyester should be the least to get. Avoid polyester in the shoulders and elbows, get Cordura nylon or better. Some of the better brands offer proprietary mesh that is better...Klim and Dainese are two. Be sure it has top rated elbow and shoulder armor, and buy add spine armor. Avoid black--gets hotter. Ditto for pants, get gray, either good mesh or Cordura nylon with zippered vents. Cotton jeans are not adequate...slide them along pavement at speed and they rip immediately.
Men's Mesh Motorcycle Jackets - RevZilla

And, there's always the great Motoport Kevlar mesh and fabric apparel.
http://www.motoport.com/product/motoport-air-mesh-jacket/

A note about heat--mesh is great in humid heat. In dry western heat mesh may let hot air (over 95F) actually heat your body up. Better is limited ventilation with an evaporative cooling layer under the coat.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I'm based out of Alabama and I have tried lots of gear over the years. I have an Air Glide jacket and pants and I like them okay, just not for really hot weather. The air glide pants are great, but the jacket I have is not cool enough. So I wear a Joe Rocket Phoenix mostly when its hot. I have tried Tourmaster mesh pants and they are okay, I have an old pair of mesh tex I still use. Most over-pants are too baggy, so I tend to get regular riding pants when I can just change at work etc.

Cycle Gear has name brand stuff too, I've bought things there. Just stay away from house brands like Bilt.

99% of the time I buy my stuff online.

Here is a decent mesh option:

Tour Master Intake Air Series 3 Jacket :: MotorcycleGear.com

I like these when its HOT:

Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 Jacket :: MotorcycleGear.com

Here is an all weather jacket, I wear an older version of the Alter Ego while touring:

Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3.0 Jacket :: MotorcycleGear.com

Motorcyclegear.com has good fit guides, I've never sent a jacket back. If it has an insulated liner consider going one size smaller than usual.

When I wear a Phoenix mesh jacket I never use the liner at all and can almost wear a Large. To be safe I order a 48 or XL with Joe Rocket stuff, I normally wear a 50 long sport coat. I always think my jackets are too baggy with an XXL, I hate it when they blow around in the wind. In Olympia gear I have about the same fit. All the touring jackets give more belly room, my sport bike jackets are much tighter in the waist and I find most are a bit tight with a 38" waist. Good reason too loose my gut some... :)

I've been loosing weight so I keep an eye out for good deals. I was a 320 pounder a few years back, so my XXL stuff ain't working no more. Even my XXL Air Glide is too baggy now without the insulated liner and I'm 250 pounds now. In the winter you can pick up name brand textile touring jackets for around $80 a piece on close out. Pants are higher in cost for some reason. I tend to get Joe Rocket gear because I like the sizing, the Tourmaster line comes in Talls. But my XL Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0 has fairly long sleeves, my 37" arms fit fine. Go figure. Needed the Tall in the Tourmaster and Cortech brands.

My main advice.... go fairly dark in color if you wear it daily. I like the dark greys with black accents and collars myself. They weather much better over time. Red turns to pink, can't keep silver or hi-viz clean. I bought a white/black/silver jacket for Florida, looked like a dirty hobo after a day on the road. My Hi-Viz Olympia Air Glide gets dirty looking easy.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm based out of Alabama and I have tried lots of gear over the years. I have an Air Glide jacket and pants and I like them okay, just not for really hot weather. The air glide pants are great, but the jacket I have is not cool enough. So I wear a Joe Rocket Phoenix mostly when its hot. I have tried Tourmaster mesh pants and they are okay, I have an old pair of mesh tex I still use. Most over-pants are too baggy, so I tend to get regular riding pants when I can just change at work etc.

Cycle Gear has name brand stuff too, I've bought things there. Just stay away from house brands like Bilt.

99% of the time I buy my stuff online.

Here is a decent mesh option:

Tour Master Intake Air Series 3 Jacket :: MotorcycleGear.com

I like these when its HOT:

Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 Jacket :: MotorcycleGear.com

Here is an all weather jacket, I wear an older version of the Alter Ego while touring:

Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3.0 Jacket :: MotorcycleGear.com

Motorcyclegear.com has good fit guides, I've never sent a jacket back. If it has an insulated liner consider going one size smaller than usual.

When I wear a Phoenix mesh jacket I never use the liner at all and can almost wear a Large. To be safe I order a 48 or XL with Joe Rocket stuff, I normally wear a 50 long sport coat. I always think my jackets are too baggy with an XXL, I hate it when they blow around in the wind. In Olympia gear I have about the same fit. All the touring jackets give more belly room, my sport bike jackets are much tighter in the waist and I find most are a bit tight with a 38" waist. Good reason too loose my gut some... :)

I've been loosing weight so I keep an eye out for good deals. I was a 320 pounder a few years back, so my XXL stuff ain't working no more. Even my XXL Air Glide is too baggy now without the insulated liner and I'm 250 pounds now. In the winter you can pick up name brand textile touring jackets for around $80 a piece on close out. Pants are higher in cost for some reason. I tend to get Joe Rocket gear because I like the sizing, the Tourmaster line comes in Talls. But my XL Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0 has fairly long sleeves, my 37" arms fit fine. Go figure. Needed the Tall in the Tourmaster and Cortech brands.

My main advice.... go fairly dark in color if you wear it daily. I like the dark greys with black accents and collars myself. They weather much better over time. Red turns to pink, can't keep silver or hi-viz clean. I bought a white/black/silver jacket for Florida, looked like a dirty hobo after a day on the road. My Hi-Viz Olympia Air Glide gets dirty looking easy.
Great write up! Thank you! I am in Bham!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Based on my experience, I'd go with the following:

* Aerostich Darien Light jacket --- Get this in high viz. No kidding; it just might save your life.
* Aerostich Darien (regular weight) pants - I have these in black because they always get dirty.

The Stich gear is amazing. I've worn it from 20F to 110F. Sure it's hot at 110F, but what isn't?

What sets the jacket apart is how it vents. It uses what's called "pit zips" - zippers under your arm pits. It's been used in mountaineering jackets for decades, and it works better than anything else out there.

What's amazing is that no other manufacturers seem to be using it. They all use these front-zip mesh openings, etc.

But the Stich jacket ... when you open up the pit zips, open up the rear zipper across the back, and open up the cuff vents .. IT MOVES AIR. I'd HIGHLY recommend getting the back pad/ protector too. One of the key things it does (besides saving your spine if you ever fall down on your back) is keep the jacket off your body and help create chambers under the jacket so the air can move.

And people can say what they will about high-viz (yes, it looks dorky), but it really truly works. I can't even count the number of times I've watched drivers look at me, look away, and then LOOK AT ME AGAIN because they didn't see me the first time.

The other nice thing about the Aerostich gear - because the Goretex is built into the outer layer, you just have to "zip-zip-zip" and be ready to go when the weather changes from warm to rain. Those liner jackets that you put UNDER a mesh jacket area crazy stupid and inconvenient.

Anyway - go with Stitch. It's simply the most functional gear you can buy.

~Doug

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Not sure where you are getting the info that mesh does not protect you.

Mesh generally is throwaway after a serious come off but in my view you are higher risk of an accident from heat related issues than not getting good protection from mesh.

I have Joe Rocket mesh and recently AirGlide 3 pants.

If you are that concerned then wear an armored shirt under your mesh jacket and separate knee armor under the pants. I mix and match depending on the circumstances.

Hot weather at home or Australia....we are riding just in the armored shirt and Airglide pants.

real world info here

http://dontai.com/wp/2010/06/03/does-motorcycle-mesh-gear-melt-in-a-crash/

Tracy Bader crashed July 2011. At 110kph/65mph, front brake locked up and she endoed. Her Joe Rocket Cleo mesh jacket, front view. Left shoulder and forearm ripped but inner liner intact, abrasions on left cuff and forearm. Mesh abraded but did not melt.
If you read through...you'll see armor moving is an issue......that's why an armored shirt makes sense as a second layer.

I wear this and it's very cool and comfortable and weighs nothing.

I really like the Airglide 3 pants
Olympia Airglide 3 Pants - RevZilla

and would buy the jacket too but I have a 4 season Scott that does the job into low 80s ....then it's the Joe Rocket mesh I've had for years.

The Airglide pants are reinforced knee and hip and shin with cordura and are very cool riding.

Some claim perforated leather is as cool as mesh .....have a hard time seeing that and it's bloody expensive.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Based on my experience, I'd go with the following:

* Aerostich Darien Light jacket --- Get this in high viz. No kidding; it just might save your life.
* Aerostich Darien (regular weight) pants - I have these in black because they always get dirty.

The Stich gear is amazing. I've worn it from 20F to 110F. Sure it's hot at 110F, but what isn't?

What sets the jacket apart is how it vents. It uses what's called "pit zips" - zippers under your arm pits. It's been used in mountaineering jackets for decades, and it works better than anything else out there.

What's amazing is that no other manufacturers seem to be using it. They all use these front-zip mesh openings, etc.

But the Stich jacket ... when you open up the pit zips, open up the rear zipper across the back, and open up the cuff vents .. IT MOVES AIR. I'd HIGHLY recommend getting the back pad/ protector too. One of the key things it does (besides saving your spine if you ever fall down on your back) is keep the jacket off your body and help create chambers under the jacket so the air can move.

And people can say what they will about high-viz (yes, it looks dorky), but it really truly works. I can't even count the number of times I've watched drivers look at me, look away, and then LOOK AT ME AGAIN because they didn't see me the first time.

The other nice thing about the Aerostich gear - because the Goretex is built into the outer layer, you just have to "zip-zip-zip" and be ready to go when the weather changes from warm to rain. Those liner jackets that you put UNDER a mesh jacket area crazy stupid and inconvenient.

Anyway - go with Stitch. It's simply the most functional gear you can buy.

~Doug
Thanks for the info! I know that hi viz is a personal choice and I am back and forth on the issue. I know that I will either get a hi viz jacket or buy a hi viz "road guard" type vest.

As far as Aerostich goes, I would love to actually be able to see this stuff, but it will require a road trip and I am no where near Minn. As a matter of a fact, I am not near anything that I know of...lol. Could do an ATL trip, I guess.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure where you are getting the info that mesh does not protect you.

Mesh generally is throwaway after a serious come off but in my view you are higher risk of an accident from heat related issues than not getting good protection from mesh.

I have Joe Rocket mesh and recently AirGlide 3 pants.

If you are that concerned then wear an armored shirt under your mesh jacket and separate knee armor under the pants. I mix and match depending on the circumstances.

Hot weather at home or Australia....we are riding just in the armored shirt and Airglide pants.

real world info here

http://dontai.com/wp/2010/06/03/does-motorcycle-mesh-gear-melt-in-a-crash/

If you read through...you'll see armor moving is an issue......that's why an armored shirt makes sense as a second layer.

I wear this and it's very cool and comfortable and weighs nothing.

I really like the Airglide 3 pants
Olympia Airglide 3 Pants - RevZilla

and would buy the jacket too but I have a 4 season Scott that does the job into low 80s ....then it's the Joe Rocket mesh I've had for years.

The Airglide pants are reinforced knee and hip and shin with cordura and are very cool riding.

Some claim perforated leather is as cool as mesh .....have a hard time seeing that and it's bloody expensive.
Good info here! On the armored shirt, what jacket do you wear it under? Your Joe Rocket? Just seems like that would be very bulky?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
You don't wear the armored shirt under anything. It's just armor in all the right places while keeping you cool. A friend of mine uses the Icon Stryker Rig. Pretty cool piece of gear. Pun intended.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Why do you say that a mesh jacket offers little protection?

A good mesh jacket like the KLIM Induction offers plenty of protection.

Klim Induction Jacket - RevZilla

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,082 Posts
I think you are probably getting the idea that non-mesh gear isn't going to cut it for really hot temperatures. I own non mesh gear, and mesh gear. I have owned best quality gear as well as not so good gear. The gear I think offers the very best crash protection from abrasion and impact is Motoport gear. I have their kevlar mesh gear. But if you are looking at a price point there is gear that offers protection for a lot less. Less protection, but buy what you can and use it. Even the cheapest gear can make a LOT of difference in a crash. The problem most often seen in cheap gear is the seams/zippers ripping open. So look at something with at least double row stitching. The Tourmaster and Olympia brands are decent quality and good value, I have owned both. For commuting you need something easy on and off. Consider a one piece suit like the mesh suit Olympia offers. If you want non mesh, then the lighter weight Aerostich and the Klim gear is about all that is out there that can be used in hot temps, but beware if you are in stopped traffic. You will overheat!

·
Registered
204 Posts
YOu can also consider perforated leather. I have Vanson perforated leather during the 2 hot months of July and August..

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
"I wish I could actually see some of this stuff. Unfortunately I have to order it online and its a crap shoot. Maybe I just need to go over to Atlanta and find some brick and mortar stores. All we have here is Cycle Gear and they SUCK."

I hear your pain. I'm lucky with several Big Box stores nearby and can try stuff on. Cycle Gear is a bit of a disappointment. I special ordered an Xsmall helmet and it was still like a refrigerator shipping carton on my head.
I got a EXO500 helmet in Xsmall cus the 100's I had fir perfect. It was too tight and I was able to get the same in a friend whose small was too tight on him.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts