StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a good almost all-season jacket to use for commuting and touring, and hoping for some advice. Criteria: waterproof, decent venting and good fit.

Brands I am considering are Dainese, Rev'it, Klim and Aerostich. I am 6', 160lbs with a 38" chest. I have found that most so-called American cut gear can be a bit baggy on me.

Long story short I bought the Dainese Teren jacket, but I am not sure it's for me, so I am considering a return. The fit and quality of the jacket are both excellent; I don't think I could expect much better. My concern lies in the whole liner system. I really like the idea of a waterproof shell with venting, and not having to fiddle with liners. In that sense, Klim and Aerostich's designs seem very attractive. However, from my research it seems like both those brands are a little too generous with fit, especially for skinny guys. I know Rev'it and Dainese both have similar Gore-tex built-in options, but those are at a price point that is higher than I can swing at the moment.

So how about it? Any feedback/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm driving myself crazy here. :headbang:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Check out the new Firstgear Rainier TPG jacket. It's lightweight like a ski shell jacket, has no liner, has a very athletic tapered fit and quality armor. I'm really liking mine.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'd like to support Aerostich, but my Raincrafter pants have always leaked and the zippers have all broken. Not what I expect for close to $600. My last purchase was a Rev-It jacket and I've been happy with it. Most of the ones that had venting only had a waterproof liner; the shell itself wasn't waterproof. Given that it rains more in the NW than it gets hot enough for venting, I ended up with one of their less expensive models.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. Will definitely take a look at these options. xrcris, which Rev'it jacket did you end up with?

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
The olympia airgide 4 is what I have, top quality, four season waterproof jacket. I have the neon high viz one and it works. It has 3 liners that zip out. Its good up to about 90 in the summer with just the mesh shell and into single digits with the thermal liner. Best jacket I ever owned.

http://olympiamotosports.com/catalog/mens-airglide-4-mesh-tech-jacket/

·
Registered
15,614 Posts
My Aerostitch Roasdcrafter pants have had two sets of zippers. They wear out eventually. The Darien jacket is very nice. I cashed and killed my first and I got one used on line for a good price. I just got a Darien Light for a steal from a friend. Oddly enough, the Light Medium is a tighter fit than the regular Darien Medium.

·
Registered
93 Posts
pjam - The Nautilus. I had a Teknic for about 8yrs that never leaked a drop which finally got to the point where everything was wearing out; zippers, stiching, color etc., and that was after wearing it every day commuting (you can ride year round up here). What I don't like about the Rev-it are the outside pockets (don't know how waterproof they will be), the lack of a decent inside pocket (would like to keep my cellphone dry hence my concern about the outside pockets). Also, some of the other Rev-its didn't have a flap over the zipper, so that was a feature I wanted after dealing with the Aerostich problems.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Oh, and for the Aerostich, yeah you can have them replace the zippers, but it's 8-10 weeks turnaround. In five years, four of the five zippers have broken. Two were just the pulls, so I'm using paperclips, but still for that kind of money, I expect better. One of the other zippers the stiching has separated from the body of the pants, and the last one the zipper trolley little thing came totally off. That's held together with 100mph tape now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I love my Klim Latitude, built in Gore-Tex layer, D3O armor in the elbows, shoulders and back. It's got lots of venting and I was wearing it all summer, only hot went I was stopped on days over 85F. I am not a skinny guy but I would imagine if you get the right size along with the adjustment for on the waist and arms of this jacket you should be ok. And Revzilla is having a sale on some Klim gear now.

Klim Latitude Misano Jacket - RevZilla

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am very happy with my Olympia AST. Very good venting, completely waterproof so far. Great adjustability.

·
Registered
232 Posts
FirstGear TPG vs Klim Badlands Pro

I’m not too differently sized than you: 6'-0", 165 lb, 42 in chest. I recently sent a medium Klim Badlands Pro back to Revzilla because it was a bit too small. The sleeves were a little short and when I sat on my bike I felt it was binding at the front of my shoulders under the arms. If you don’t have unusually long arms for your height, I suspect the medium Badlands would fit you. (I’m going to try the large, but won’t be surprised if it’s too big.)

I’m currently wearing a FirstGear TPG Rainier—the new model—in the large size, and frankly it’s a bit too big, but tolerable. I’ve added some extra padding and thicker armor in the back to take up some of the extra girth. My guess is that the medium, or perhaps the medium tall, would fit you.

The FirstGear TPG and the Klim Badlands have the same armor, except the back piece is level 2 in the Klim and level 1 in the FG. Aside from similar armor, there’s otherwise no comparison in the quality of the jackets. The Klim is far, far better designed and constructed. It’s true that the FG is lighter material, but it doesn’t vent particularly well. The Klim Badlands has excellent venting. Although the Klim is considerably more expensive, it’s being deeply discounted now (people are speculating that a new model is coming), so if you can possibly afford it, and it fits you, the Klim is a way better value.

If you’re considering a Klim Latitude (also currently being discounted), be aware that although it has D3O armor, it’s level 1, not level 2, if that’s important to you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
FirstGear Rainer is the best jacket I've owned out of many. Waterproof shell. Great venting. Have worn in temps from +100 to +25. Keep me dry and comfortable.

TravelGuy

I am looking for a good almost all-season jacket to use for commuting and touring, and hoping for some advice. Criteria: waterproof, decent venting and good fit.

Brands I am considering are Dainese, Rev'it, Klim and Aerostich. I am 6', 160lbs with a 38" chest. I have found that most so-called American cut gear can be a bit baggy on me.

Long story short I bought the Dainese Teren jacket, but I am not sure it's for me, so I am considering a return. The fit and quality of the jacket are both excellent; I don't think I could expect much better. My concern lies in the whole liner system. I really like the idea of a waterproof shell with venting, and not having to fiddle with liners. In that sense, Klim and Aerostich's designs seem very attractive. However, from my research it seems like both those brands are a little too generous with fit, especially for skinny guys. I know Rev'it and Dainese both have similar Gore-tex built-in options, but those are at a price point that is higher than I can swing at the moment.

So how about it? Any feedback/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm driving myself crazy here. :headbang:

·
Premium Member
4,614 Posts
I am very happy with my Olympia AST. Very good venting, completely waterproof so far. Great adjustability.
+1 on Olympia gear. I have the X-Moto and Dakar jackets and pants and like them both. Neither have waterproof exteriors though they do come with a waterproof liner. I prefer to throw on Frogg Toggs when it rains.

For a waterproof exterior check out the new Ranger.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
I've been very happy with my Hi-Viz Olympia Moab jacket.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Second the Klim. I have Badlands jacket and pants. Waterproof, bombproof, great venting. I've worn "em in pouring rain and temps in the high 90's. Plenty of pockets. Actually too many pockets. I'm always losing stuff in them. Sometimes it takes me 3 pockets to remember where I stashed that extra whatever. They feel and fit weird when your standing around but as soon as you mount up, everything seems to work.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I like my Tourmaster Transition Jacket. It's getting old and the waterproofing doesn't work too well, but a spray with silicon tent waterproofing provides a temporary fix. Nice fit, decent vents, a little hot in the summer, but the zip out lining makes for a wide range of temps. I've had it out in single digits (with a lot of other clothing!) and in the 90's but it's not a good hot weather jacket. CE armor in the shoulders and elbows and capable of good back armour, but it came with cheap foam. Zippers all still work except the small "key" zipper on the sleeve. If I had to replace, I'd certainly look at all the options, but I'd have no problems getting another one of these.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Anytime I see a jacket thread on any motorcycle forum I visit...and I see the prices of the jackets people recommend...it thrills me even more to know that 2 years ago I got a Tourmaster Flex II on closeout for $120!

A $500 jacket? That's 1/6 the price of what I paid for my Vee!!!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts