StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 V-Strom 650 with a centerstand, and no skid plate. I want to lift up the front end to change the tire. I have a hydraulic car jack with a round 3" round plate on the to (typical for these type of jacks).
I have searched the site and owners manual for the proper location to place the jack and could find a definitive answer.
The owners manual states:
"Carefully position a jack under the engine and raise the jack until the front wheel is slightly off the ground. 

CAUTION Improper jacking may cause damage to the fairing or oil filter.
Do not apply the jack head to the fairing lower part or the oil filter when jacking up the motorcycle."
Not much help! Can someone with experience doing this show me where to place the jack?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Place a board (plywood is great) across the face of the jack and position it under the exhaust, about halfway between oil filter and center stand. You want to lift under the flattened section of exhaust cross-over pipe. Watch the suspension while lifting slowly until the front wheel is light. Stop before the wheel leaves the ground. My old '09 Wee didn't have a bash plate and this is how I changed the front.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I always lift it up to the point where the rear tire is touching the ground. It doesn't really put any more stress on the exhaust, but it does get you multiple points of contact which helps with stability and gives more room for the front wheel.

Protip for the front wheel removal - you don't need to remove the fender. All you have to remove is the left side caliper and the retaining clips for the speedometer drive. Crack the caliper bolts, axle pinch bolt, and axle while the front wheel is still on the ground. With the one caliper removed, the front wheel comes right out.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
I put the bike on the center stand and throw a bag or two of fertilizer or dirt on the pillion seat. That is usually enough to lift the front end and remove the tire. If I need more height, I put a 2x6 under the center stand.

I have also used the wife or spare grand-kid for extra weight. :grin2:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Put it on the center stand and then use a rachet strap to tie the rear of the bike down to something solid near the ground (like a lawn tractor, receiver hitch, etc.)

·
Registered
921 Posts
Behind the oil filter you will see a small, smooth flat area. Place the jack there, with a small piece of wood to prevent dings. Weight on the rear will work too. If you have crash bars or frame sliders, jackstands there will also work. Best is a front stand, (pitbull brand is top quality), and should be used in conjunction with a rear stand, but they are pricey.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Best is a front stand, (pitbull brand is top quality), and should be used in conjunction with a rear stand, but they are pricey.
Cycle Gear sells front & rear stands (definitely not as nice as Pitbull stands, but solid enough) that just happen to be on sale right now.. (42% off on the website....and no.... I don't work there)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts