StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came home yesterday from a day trip with my wife and daughter. Was scouting out Little River Canyon in eastern Alabama. It was fun in the Subaru Forester, but think it would be a blast on the DL650.

Anyhow, we got home and my wife was letting my dog outside and found a couple of boxes on the front porch. One had the large top box from JC Whittney. First impressions. It came complete with the box and mounting kit. No directions.

I removed the luggage rack from my bike and studied the situation. I opted to not remove the rubber pad from the rack. Instead, I used my saber saw to slightly widen the new base plate where the bolt heads to mount the rack. This allowed me to mount the base plate and then mount the luggage rack.

For the price, I think this is a bargain. Will not compare to the higher end boxes, but should be a fine place to store my helmet and gloves. There is a red plastic piece around the center of the box. Does not look to be reflective. Will take care of that with reflective tape.

Now I just need to get my box with the ram mount for my GPS, my lighter plug installed. I have to let my visa card catch up before ordering my crash bars. My wife mentioned the word neuter, so I best slow down on the farkling process. Can't wait to go on a long distance trip.

Enjoy. Stan

·
Registered
143 Posts
I don't think I have heard a bad review of the JCW topcase. Maybe not as nice as the GIVI, but for a fraction of the price I'm guessing most people don't care.

Nice neuter reference. Never heard my wife speak the word but I've seen it in her eyes! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had mine for a month now, and have been very pleased. Easy to install and works great. Never had a top box before, but they are the handiest thing imaginable.

K

·
0 Posts
I did. I just used the two supplied braces and ran them side to side under the rack. Since then I have added a SW Motech rear rack and have the box installed on the removable givi plate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not drill any holes in my bike, nor did I remove the stock rubber pad. I placed the mounting plate for the box on the rack and saw where the luggage rack bolts were below and found that if I took my saber saw and simply widened area above where the bolts were, I was golden. I then used the hardware supplied with the mounting kit to fasten the base plate to the rack. I then reattached the rack to the bike.

So far, so good.

If anyone has questions, please email me at [email protected].

Stan

·
Registered
9 Posts
For me the top rack mounting bolt holes lined up perfectly with the mounting plate the way they were. The supplied bolts were slightly longer than stock, so they worked (not by much though), and I could use one of the supplied brackets crosswise to attach the mounting plate at the rear.

Didn't have to remove the rack, drill anything, nothing special but remove the rubber pad. I was just playing around with what supplies came in the box and suddenly the topcase was attached.

Eventually I bought some slightly longer bolts for the front with better washers, and nyloc nuts for the back. Piece of cake.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ditto. I didn't use the supplied brackets. Simply bought longer bolts (than those that secure the rack), washers and locking washers and was able to install the base plate right onto the rack. The base plate is therefore only secured with 2 bolts, but it seems plenty firm and I can't see how it would shimmy loose.

I want to be able to take the JC Whitney base plate off at times and run the bike "clean" and this installation makes that a snap.

Besides needing to add reflective tape to the top case, I am thinking about installing a couple of the flashing red lights on the back side of the top case, the kind that you see bicyclists use, in order to enhance my visibility. Any thoughts/comments? Would the flashing lights actually distract motorists behind me from paying attention to my brake light? Hmmm.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Flashing red lites may not be a good idea. Could confuse the less fortunate in cages and you might makes new friends with guns and badges.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I'm a big fan of hyperlites http://www.hyperlites.com/ . They are quite expensive for what you get (well engineered though), but work very well for people directly behind you. I have a set of running/flashing brake lights, and a set of 16 led turn signals. Impossible to miss during the daytime :) The do increase your visibility. I have to post a video soon.

B

·
0 Posts
Anybody want pics?

I installed the medium JCW box this weekend. No drilling, pretty easy. I installed the mounting plate right over the factory luggage rack.

The holes on the JCW plate matched up perfectly with a couple of bolts that attach the factory luggage rack to the bike. So I removed these two bolts, bought a couple of bolts just slightly longer than the ones I removed, and installed with no problem. I then also used one of the JCW-supplied brackets for more stability. Whole job probably took 10 min.

I took some pics so if anyone wants a walk-through of the install before you buy, let me know.

As others have said, not an extremely high-quality box. But certainly good enough for the money.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I installed a large box this weekend. It was easy to mount and attached to the rear pretty easy. I also added some lockwashers and some locktite to keep it from rattling loose. For the money it will do just fine for transporting junk around town. Wouldent start out a cross country tour with it, but for running errands its not too bad.

Edited: I dident drill any holes either.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts