StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me Father for I have sinned. I have started doing wheelies on the Weestrom and am finding it is very capable of first gear clutch up wheelies and also a lot of fun. I know it is hard on the clutch, I know it is hard on the fork seals, I know some of you will frown upon me for my unsafe behavior, but dog gone it, I don't care.

I'll make the argument that it is making me a better rider, learning the limits of the bike, improving balance and confidence - but I'm probably just trying to justify my misdeeds. I do use discretion on where I choose to feed my addiction (no traffic, straight road with ample shoulder...)

When I started, I would roll at about 3-5 mph, watch the tach and pop the clutch rather violently at about 7K rpm. I'm now doing more of a slip/release and basing my timing on feel and and sound from the engine and having more success.

Any of you bitten by this bug?

·
Administrator
17,373 Posts
The 1000 does it without you even trying, and no I do not make a habit it of it "it does what you already said". Your bike, your life, and your wallet. :yesnod:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've tried it once or twice on my Wee. Got it a few inches up and that was enough for me on this bike. I laid some good black marks from spinning the back tire though.

I had a KTM 625 SXC before the V-strom and that thing was a different story. It was hard to keep the front wheel on the ground. :yikes:

·
Registered
944 Posts
Would it make a difference if doing wheelies on the Wee causes your engine to starve for oil? Perhaps Greywolf can verify or debunk this oiling issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Would it make a difference if doing wheelies on the Wee causes your engine to starve for oil? Perhaps Greywolf can verify or debunk this oiling issue.
Unless you're riding wheelies for miles...I don't see how doing a wheelie is any different than dropping your bike and letting it run (not on purpose, of course) on its side for a few seconds.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The Suzuki V twin is about as bullet proof as they come. BUT, the earlier models went through lower ends due to, in part, to long wheelies/starving the crank from oil. I can't say for certain they ever designed something to alleviate this issue. The SV had a differently designed crank with better oiling tendencies, but, once again, I am not certain this was a fix. Maybe an SV owner will chime in.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Believe me when I say I'm not proficient enough to ride a wheelie long enough for any oil starvation.

For those of you who are concerned about the damage this is causing to the engine, I'll make sure to update the thread when it blows up so you can say, "I told you so." Don't hold your breath.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Nope...no wheelies...but I do love pinning the throttle and running through the gears though; that's MY guilty pleasure. :yesnod:

·
Registered
261 Posts
With two of us on the bike the front wheel came off the ground just by cranking on the throttle in first gear but I think that puts a lot of pressure on the rear Givi top case/mount though.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Believe me when I say I'm not proficient enough to ride a wheelie long enough for any oil starvation.

For those of you who are concerned about the damage this is causing to the engine, I'll make sure to update the thread when it blows up so you can say, "I told you so." Don't hold your breath.
I would be more concerned with repeatedly slamming the heavy front end down on hard pavement. These bikes are not made to handle that kind of shock.

Something (or many things) is eventually gonna bend, break, or jar loose.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Where I live, at 7200 feet, you just have to work it too hard to wheelie. However, when I was in Havasu for the V Strom Rally (400 ft), I kind of surprised myself by whacking the throttle open and having the front end loft no prob.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The ONLY wheelie I have done with my new Vee wasn't intended....it came up twice as I rolled it on/off/on in first gear....wasn't sure of what was happening at first....:confused:....now way more careful with the twister esp in 1st gear.....

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have skipped the front end along the ground a few times and lofted it a few inches hard accelerating up a hill but no real wheelies on the wee.... yet.

I am practicing my wheelies on my little ninjette. when I get a bit more comfortable picking that thing up I will play on the wee.... and yes.. a ninja 250 can wheelie.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Unless you're riding wheelies for miles...I don't see how doing a wheelie is any different than dropping your bike and letting it run (not on purpose, of course) on its side for a few seconds.
Starving for oil is starving for oil no matter the cause. One is voluntary and the other is accidental. I'd avoid it if I have the choice. I was hoping Greywolf would clear this up.

·
Registered
944 Posts

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Wheelie to your heart's content. It's your bike so do what you want.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I seem to remember a much earlier thread about a rider who was doing frequent wheelies and his engine was beginning to smoke. Greywolf remarked about oil starvation.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts