StromTrooper banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really simple, replaced oil and filter, check chain tension and lube, checked idle speed, checked throttle cable and clutch cable freeplay, checked tires pressure, aligned rear wheel, check all fluid level, and the most important check exhaust and chassis bolts for proper torque. Most bolts were properly torqued, except triple tree pinch bolts, handlebar bolt, front footpeg bolt. Dealer wanted 250$ to do first service, it took me about an hour taking my time to not scratch anything. I have used this money to invest in an SW Motech center stand, really easy to install, great fit and very stable. Should be stock on the bike.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Very nice Matt, good on you. I did the same at that point. I am now at 16k miles on am torn on having the valves checked. I 'know' that I'm supposed to, but it never seems to be a big problem with Strom owners. I would like to try it myself but I'm afraid it is a tad bit too involved for me. Anyways, good to hear you did this service yourself. It is always good to learn the basic mechanics of your bike.

Hope all is well...

·
Registered
329 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Really simple, replaced oil and filter, check chain tension and lube, checked idle speed, checked throttle cable and clutch cable freeplay, checked tires pressure, aligned rear wheel, check all fluid level, and the most important check exhaust and chassis bolts for proper torque. Most bolts were properly torqued, except triple tree pinch bolts, handlebar bolt, front footpeg bolt. Dealer wanted 250$ to do first service, it took me about an hour taking my time to not scratch anything. I have used this money to invest in an SW Motech center stand, really easy to install, great fit and very stable. Should be stock on the bike.
Awesome, thanks for this post, I broke 400 miles on mine today (bought it about a week and a half ago), with 600 miles looming in the next week or so (damn, I just can't stop riding it ;) )

I was pondering "outsourcing" the 600 mile service, but you've just inspired me to do it myself, thanks!

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
The 1000 km tune-up involves just an oil change. You could skip it altogether and not do one bit of damage to your bike if the "theory" that all vstroms get dyno-tested/broken-in at the factory is corect.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Make sure to document the service incase of warranty issues. Include any receipts of filter and oil purchase.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the Suzuki Extended Warranty. (PO bought it.) Here is what my Service Manager (who is also a family member) told me.
To keep the warranty in force, make sure you let the dealer do the 14K service which includes a Valve adjustment. Otherwise service is a non-issue for warranty repairs (unless they find obvious lack of service like GOO in crankcase)

Since I bought the bike with 2000 miles on it, (out of area purchase) I ask him if he could check to see if the 600 mile service was performed and he said, "NO! The only one that gets documented back to Suzuki is the 14K Valve adjustment."

Now, if you just have the 1 year warranty, most bikes wont see 14K in the first year anyway.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
To keep a warranty in force, document service by keeping a log of dates, mileages and services done. Keep receipts for oil, filters etc.. The Magnuson-Moss warranty act protects owners who do their own work. Suzuki would have to show a problem was caused by a lack of service or improper service. The requirement for a dealer to do a valve check to keep the extended warranty in force is only valid if it is not a true warranty. It probably is an extended service contract or insurance or something other than a true warranty.

·
Registered
33 Posts
600 mile break in service

Bought new on July 19th, on July 30th with 547 miles I did my own, after having made an appointment at the dealer. I scanned the service interval chart and filled it in. Went to the dealer and asked the service manager, do I really need to pay you to go over my work ? He said nope. Chain needed adjusting and oil and filter change of course. 3 weeks old yesterday and have 2,500 miles on her her.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a friend who work on a dealership (Honda) They basically do an oil and filter change and a quick look at the bike, spend about 30 minutes on bike and charge the first inspection flat rates (varies between one hour to 3 hours depending the bike). Maybe all the dealers are not the same, but I prefer do my own maintenance when I can, and learn to do what I can't! Coming from a KLR I already learned to wrench a lot! By the way, this forum is a good way to practice my english, so forgive me when I'm doing somes mistakes. Je parie que vous ne feriez pas mieux en français:mrgreen:

·
Registered
70 Posts
The wee was my first and only bike I have had. Being motorcycle ignorant at the time, I paid $300 for the 600 mi service. From what I could tell, they only changed the oil and possibly (that's a big "maybe") checked bolts were tight. The coolant level was below "low" when I took it in. It was still low when I went to pick up. The dealership tried to tell me that was normal. I explained what was normal and they took it back and added coolant.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts