StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered me some Shinko radial 705's to replace the worn out Pilot Roads on the Wee. Want to find me some gravel roads to play on now. Read lots of posts both here and VSRI got confused and just jumped in with both feet and ordered them.

How did they perform for you? Almost went with Battlewings, just didn't seem to have an aggressive enough tread. Too many tires to choose from and not enough bikes to put them on!

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Do we really want to start another 705 thread?????

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help Chicago, that's what I was looking for. Did check the tire thread and didn't see this one. May end up with Anakee's after these.

Be safe

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Thanks for the help Chicago, that's what I was looking for. Did check the tire thread and didn't see this one. May end up with Anakee's after these.

Be safe
Just keep checking every few days for cracking around the tread blocks. It comes on fast, but some folks have had no problem.

As tires, I liked them a lot. It was just the delimitation that sucked.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've never ran the 705s, but my neighbor had them on a Caponord. He said they cracked around the tread blocks as well. But then again, they seem to get good reviews and alot of folks sure do like them.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
I just asked a question, you don't like it don't read the damn thing. No problem.
Gee, sorry. I was only hinting that maybe you could have posted on one of the 705 threads you admitted to reading for your research.

·
Registered
15,405 Posts
for cracking around the tread blocks.
A friend was showing off her "new to her" GS I pointed out the cracking at the blocks and she immediately went to the dealer and got some better tires. She was headed to Alaska.
Caveat Emptor.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
no cracking on mine after just over a year and about 40,000 km's...

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well they will be here this week, if they fail I'll be sure to let it be known.

Thanks

·
Registered
271 Posts
Heres my review on the Shinko's.

Gear World—September 2010

My only issue was with the original bias plys. About 6 months after I wrote this review, I had delamination and tread block cracking on both the front and the rear.

Both tires were replaced under warranty with radials - (I payed the small increase in the tire cost) and I was completely happy with them until they were worn out.

YMMV

:thumbup:

Dave

·
Registered
162 Posts
no cracking on mine after just over a year and about 40,000 km's...
What pressures do you run? I'm on my second bias rear...long story. The first one went 8k miles at 38-41 psi but a high speed (85-95 mph) highway run with full load in 100 deg F weather finished them off:yikes: Went from barely discernible crack to craters oozing melted rubber (it was sticky to the touch) in about 3 hours. :jawdrop: I was afraid I wouldn't make the last 200 miles home. I took a break, slowed down to 75mph and made it home fine...but I kept an eye on them!

Not the best grip in cold weather, but acceptable. They die quick in high speed, high load environments...but there are better tires for that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Heres my review on the Shinko's.

Gear World—September 2010

My only issue was with the original bias plys. About 6 months after I wrote this review, I had delamination and tread block cracking on both the front and the rear.

Both tires were replaced under warranty with radials - (I payed the small increase in the tire cost) and I was completely happy with them until they were worn out.

YMMV

:thumbup:

Dave
Well, I have run several sets, bias and radials. Some cracking in both late in the game. Currently have a set of 700's on order just to run and try. If I am planning a lot of offroading, I switch wheels to a set of Kenda 761 real-masters knobbies. They roar a lot, bit seem to hold up decent (4500 miles ) over all.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm one that has been a pretty big fan of the Shinko 705's. I tend to ride gravel/dirt roads when I can and want good handling there, but I also do enough pavement and have 100 mile slab to the good riding that I can't see the point in running a tire like the TKC80's and wearing them out on the pavement. I came from running Tourance and Anakee's and the 705's just inspired so much more confidence off road, I was amazed at the difference. I didn't find them quite as good as street tires as the Tourance/Anakee but that was to be expected from the wider knobs and its always a trade off which I was willing to take. Overall though, I can still drag pegs and ride the 705's pretty hard and their increased traction off road was well worth it.

I started with the Shinko's when they had the Bias in the strom sizes and they did great. I had no issues and got great mileage out of them 7-8k miles in the rear over 20k+ on the front. I then picked up the radials when they came out. For some reason, I didn't do as well mileage wise on the Radials, but I also tended to play more on them and run them with lower pressures when playing. I'm sure that played a huge part in the lower miles.

What seems to be the killer of the 705's is sustained high speed runs loaded down in hot temps or a combination of running low gravel pressures at higher speeds on the pavement. Obviously when you are playing on and off road all day, you don't want to stop and pump up your tires each time you hit the pavement, so you keep them low. If you don't do any interstate speeds at those lower pressures you should be fine.

My last 705 Radial was about at the end of its life, but I had one more ride left in it and did a 450 mile street ride that day. My ride home was over 3hrs on the slab running 80-85mph with out stopping and the tire failed about 2 miles before my exit. Thankfully the sidewalls are stiff enough that I made it to the exit running 30-35mph on the shoulder. I think what happened in my case is the tire started to develop small leaks and I was losing pressure. I started to have the inclinations that the tire was going down on air, but wasn't sure since worn out tires tend to grab road imperfections anyways. Since I was running the sustained high speed and the tire was probably losing air, I was generating a ton of heat in the tire too and it all just became too much for it to handle and it formed leaks in the tread carcass. Overall the tire held together and it wasn't anything catastrophic, just a flat tire I couldn't fix. I wasn't too disappointed since the tire had pretty much served its useful life and I knew I was pulling it off when I got home.

We are running the 705's on my Wife's BMW F650GS. We are using the older 19" Bias front and the 140 Bias rear for her bike. They are lasting great on her bike and no issues.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Well, I have run several sets, bias and radials. Some cracking in both late in the game. Currently have a set of 700's on order just to run and try. If I am planning a lot of offroading, I switch wheels to a set of Kenda 761 real-masters knobbies. They roar a lot, bit seem to hold up decent (4500 miles ) over all.
Hey Kim, I'll be curious to hear how those 700's work out for you and if they do better than the 244's you ran? Did you ever get a chance to try the 244's off road?

I'm about to try the Darkside with a used UHP tire being sent to me by a fellow stromtrooper. I think I'm going to run the 705 front and UHP rear and give that combo a try. I'm hoping this will be a good mileage setup for 2 week long plus trips and not have to worry about changing tires mid trip. They should be good to ride the occasional dirt road too.

I do really want to get a 2nd set of rims though and keep a more dirt oriented combo on there for playing closer to home. I've been doing a lot of research and like the what I've read about the Mita's E-07's or Heidenau K60's rear tires, although I really don't want the 150 with that center stripe on the Heidenau tires. I think I'll choose the 140 to have the more aggressive tread pattern. Guys seem to be getting decent mileage out of those. Probably will do a TKC80 up front with that combo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts